Help! My baby chameleon is under the uvb light

Gaby_011

so I’m kind of freaking out right now, my baby velid is hanging up side down under the uvb 5.0 light. There is a snowstorm which I understand he might be trying to get more heat but I am too scared that he is going to get burned off. What can I do? He still doesn’t trust me enough to let me handle him.

here he is.

Attachments

• 79F51F01-8098-4CB1-8542-9F6818D8AC3F.jpeg
    79F51F01-8098-4CB1-8542-9F6818D8AC3F.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 16CD793A-12CD-4CC9-8279-95281A027DE2.jpeg
    16CD793A-12CD-4CC9-8279-95281A027DE2.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 141
He is hanging upside down under the light like that because his enclosure is not set up appropriately. You need to add much more foliage to the cage for cover and attach multiple horizontal branches/vines/walkways in the upper part of the cage. As it is set up now, he can't get nearly close enough to bask successfully without having to resort to what he is doing.

Yes, a whole lot more. Chameleons are arboreal and need to be as high up as possible and they require multiple avenues on which to walk. As it is now, he only has that one vine to utilize. Consider walkways to be his "floor". As it is, he basically only has a small tight rope to walk on and that is not a comfortable living situation. This is why he is resorting to the screen, which has more surface area for him.

You ought also to get a live plant or a few. And replace your UVB bulb with a linear model. The compact ones are no good.

At that distance the bulb is borderline useless once it gets to the basking spot...

A 10.0 cfl at 12" is about the same as a 5.0 linear at 12", and both are useless beyond 12". These cfls and low output linears are meant for FISH TANKS that are only 12-18" deep, they are not meant for 3-4ft tall tanks for chameleons and other "tree" lizards.

Oh, and sticks can be from outside but they must be carefully cleaned and disinfected properly. I always just buy from herp stores

Thanks I will be looking up onto the linear uvb lights, I’m just really stressed because we are in the middle of a snowstorm and I can’t go outside. I just want the best for him. I’m over here having a full panic attack because of this. Thanks anyway.

Do you have any chop stick hanging around? You should be able to rig something temporally out of those with some string for now.

If he still insists on hanging upside down move your basking light off the top of the cage so it doesn't burn him. Hang it or prop it up on something non flammable.

Is this better? I’m still trying to find something for the sticks

Attachments

• 615DACE7-5D2F-44F4-8643-3403B2B49A93.jpeg
    615DACE7-5D2F-44F4-8643-3403B2B49A93.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 137
Thanks I will be looking up onto the linear uvb lights, I’m just really stressed because we are in the middle of a snowstorm and I can’t go outside. I just want the best for him. I’m over here having a full panic attack because of this. Thanks anyway.

If it makes you feel better, he can bake under the uv light al he wants. He will not be able to get close enough to burn, and "over UV" is not a concern. Even where he is hanging out is not going to have even close to the uv output of a cloudy day.

As others have stated, make sure he cant do his trick under the basking light.

Is this better? I’m still trying to find something for the sticks

Move or at least angle the basking light, so he cant bake under it. Or figure out some other guard so he can get to the screen directly under it (coffee can and some zip ties works)

Thank you I’m trying my best to solve this problem until I get some more branches and plants in his enclosure. I get really scared with him

Move or at least angle the basking light, so he cant bake under it. Or figure out some other guard so he can get to the screen directly under it (coffee can and some zip ties works)
He has avoided the basking light up to now, but if he does I’ll try and put something under it

There's no evidence saying branches need to be carefully cured. If you want you can, I do sometimes depending on where they're from, but I think its more important to just get some branches in there now. I know I'm harping on this all the time, but it's a pet peeve of mine lol. The issue is constantly brought up for no real reason other than because others have said it. I agree with everything else though.

Back
Top Bottom