Help mouth rot!

Lyneeso

I am familiar with the many hard to diagnose causes of this dibilitating infection. I have treated many lizards (mainly green iguanas) for mouth rot in the past. Ive never heard of a chameleon getting it, however my experience with chams is limited compared to my experience with the reptiles more generally found in small pet stores. I was a manager of a pet room many years ago and seem to remember using a topical ointment with great success. Some sort of over the counter antibiotic ointment. can anyone help me with the name??? Neomyacin?? is that it?? I think thats somwhat close to the name. Any other info greatly appreciated. I plan to boost Vitamin C and temperature whilst smothering the sores on lips with the ointment for a week or so. She seems to have a great appetite and if it werent for my past experience with this type of problem I wouldn't have ever noticed it this early, the bottom lips are just beginning to get "puffy" and have developed very small "lesions". I would post pics but have no way to do so at this time. I'm not going to fill out that huge questionaire because I have before, and everyone seemed to think I was doing everything correctly. Which I am. Mouth rot can be assosiated with everything from too low of temperatures, stress, bad nutrition, and the color of your carpet!!! I am well read on correct AND incorrect husbandry skills for veiled chams I just want to get any info that may be helpful to treating mouth rot in Veiled chams. Thank You!
Lyneeso

Last edited:
If there is any accumulation of infection that is not removed it could increase/spread. Its usually necessary to clean out the areas and then put the chameleon on antibiotics after a culture and sensitivity test is done. If you've caught it in time, it might be okay....but I can't say for sure.

So...let me get this right, What you just said in a nutshell is

"I know all about it, you cant tell me anything of value whatsoever so dont try, but my cham has mouthrot (my very own expert diagnosis) what do I do?"

Does that about sum it up?

That is not what the poster was implying. And after reading the rest of these responses it's no wonder they didn't come back.

I've had issues with my chams now and then and wanted to know if anybody else had these same issues..not to diagnose my cham but share information. There was nothing wrong with their question...the responses on the other hand were harsh.

Just to let you know...a foreign object stuck between the lip and gum or in the crevice of the jaw can also cause mouth rot. I had a globifer live 4 years with a pretty sever case of mouthrot. Maybe I could have shared my experience with this person.

Just because we gain a little knowledge does not mean we know everything. Stay open minded and if you can't say anything nice or don't say anything at all.

That is not what the poster was implying.

According to your veiw of it. Thats certainly How it came across to me.

I'm not going to fill out that huge questionaire because I have before, and everyone seemed to think I was doing everything correctly. Which I am. (despite the mouthrot?)
Mouth rot can be assosiated with everything from too low of temperatures, stress, bad nutrition, and the color of your carpet!!! I am well read on correct AND incorrect husbandry skills for veiled chams (despite the mouthrot?) I just want to get any info that may be helpful to treating mouth rot in Veiled chams. Thank You!

Why not ask a vet? He might know !

.........................................ok :)

Last edited:
That is not what the poster was implying. And after reading the rest of these responses it's no wonder they didn't come back.

I've had issues with my chams now and then and wanted to know if anybody else had these same issues..not to diagnose my cham but share information. There was nothing wrong with their question...the responses on the other hand were harsh.

Just to let you know...a foreign object stuck between the lip and gum or in the crevice of the jaw can also cause mouth rot. I had a globifer live 4 years with a pretty sever case of mouthrot. Maybe I could have shared my experience with this person.

Just because we gain a little knowledge does not mean we know everything. Stay open minded and if you can't say anything nice or don't say anything at all.
I agree.
Members who continuously disrespect others and cause problems will be banned.

Howdy,

Stomatitis is discussed in several different chapters of Mader’s medical book. It goes on for pages about the various forms of stomatitis; bacterial, viral, fungal and even parasitic. The author discusses the usual reasons for “common” cases of stomatitis being related to husbandry such as generally being “maintained under inappropriate conditions and have hypothermia, crowding, poor sanitation, and inadequate nutrition.” My conclusion is that a keeper would be happy to find a husbandry issue as the underlying cause of the infection because if it isn’t a husbandry issue then the alternatives are far harder to correct :eek:.

That being said, the treatment for bacterial stomatitis revolves around removing (debriding) the infectious material and treating the area with the appropriate antibiotic(s). So what is the appropriate antibiotic? The book lists a lot of possible bacteria that can cause stomatitis, if given the chance, and a lot of antibiotic choices depending on which class of bacteria was found to be the likely cause through testing. If I didn’t have access to a vet and was desperate to take at shot at it on my own, I’d probably follow this paragraph’s advice:

“Because of its good activity against most gram-negative bacteria and many anaerobic bacteria Ceftazidime is often a good single antibiotic choice. Topical treatment consists of periodic debridement, irrigation with a dilute (0.05%) chlorhexidine solution, and application of a water-soluble antibiotic medication such as silver sulfadiazine cream.”

A simple way to get the chlorhexidine is in the form of a spray bottle called “Petrodex Dental Rinse” for dogs and cats. A 4oz spray bottle was $7.49. My wife bought it for our dog. I reminded her that I buy it in an undiluted form that is enough to literally make hundreds of gallons at that strength for a hundredth of the cost :eek:.

Silver sulfadiazine is commonly discussed here on the forum for treating burns and other various skin ailments. It does seem to require a prescription in the USA. Several of us keep it on hand from past prescriptions for cuts, burns and for minimizing post-surgery suture infections.

Ceftazidime, sold under the name “Fortaz”, is also often mentioned on this forum for treating bacterial infections. Baytril is probably more likely to be in your reptile medicine chest and may be of benefit too.

Here’s another good source of info on the subject including treatment plans: http://www.anapsid.org/stomatitis.html

So...let me get this right, What you just said in a nutshell is

"I know all about it, you cant tell me anything of value whatsoever so dont try, but my cham has mouthrot (my very own expert diagnosis) what do I do?"

Does that about sum it up?

no, to sum it up in a nutshell, I said what is in the above post.
dum dee dum dum dumb.

If there is any accumulation of infection that is not removed it could increase/spread. Its usually necessary to clean out the areas and then put the chameleon on antibiotics after a culture and sensitivity test is done. If you've caught it in time, it might be okay....but I can't say for sure.

Thanks! :)

I thought he meant carpet chameleons or something. I had to read it a few times to be sure.

So, I assume that our carpet can't give my chameleon mouth rot? I am having trouble drawing the correlation here.

OMG it was a joke, as in HA HA HA. the color of your carpet affects nothing.

Hey I appreciate your understanding and compassion. This thread was a waste because of the arrogant assumptious people that decided to make it so. I just feel like it is obvious that posters like the 'unnamed' should be banned. Whatever though, I got some answers from a local breeder. She came out and had a look at my cham and said that it is nothing severe enough to worry about yet, Ive been usuing something called Rot Gaurd that she gave me and it is clearing up VERY quickly. I would say there was noticable improvement in the first 2 days!!! BTW the reason that it has taken so long for me to re-post is simply because I go to school full time and have a full time job. It just leaves me with very little spare time! Again, Thank You! ;)
Lyneeso

OMG it was a joke, as in HA HA HA. the color of your carpet affects nothing.

Sorry, not exactly experienced here, and most sarcasm doesn't convey very well through text, even for well adjusted writers.

I had red walls before, and changed those before buying a cham to prevent stress as another member suggested. So I thought perhaps the color of your carpet could cause stress, but wasn't seeing the correlation between the carpet, stress, and mouth rot.

Excuse me.

Glad to hear its getting better though.

A bit off topic:

If you have a great sense of humor like me *giggles* your carpet can affect your well being too. But honestly, some carpets are HORRID! :p

I've actually seen reports of "wallpaper" on goldfish. Black will make them stick together like their bowl is smaller, red causes some more adverse reactions, while most of the other colors have their own odd affects that I can't remember.

Sorry, not exactly experienced here, and most sarcasm doesn't convey very well through text, even for well adjusted writers.

I had red walls before, and changed those before buying a cham to prevent stress as another member suggested. So I thought perhaps the color of your carpet could cause stress, but wasn't seeing the correlation between the carpet, stress, and mouth rot.

Excuse me.

Glad to hear its getting better though.

hey, I totally understand the sarcasm through text thing! I definately never intended to mislead or confuse anyone, I'm sorry! In all honesty I assume that it probably wasn't funny enough to be taken other than litterally! Sorry!;)

Back
Top Bottom