Help me improve! Female Piebald Veiled Chameleon

Alicat93

Hi, I’ve only been a chameleon owner for a week now. I want to give her the best life I can and would like to know how I can improve that for her. I already know that she needs a bigger cage and I am planning to build her one!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Piebald veiled chameleon, female, unsure of age maybe 2-3 months, I have had her for one week.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Handled her briefly the first few days while getting her cage set up. Have tried to leave her alone the past several days besides hand feeding a few times.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets - she will eat anywhere from 12-25/day, gut loaded with collards and carrots. Superworms - only eaten about 5 in a week bc I got a batch where most were already dead. Hornworms - she has eaten one a day, but I am worried they’ve gotten too big for her now so she hasn’t had any the past two days. Waxworms occasionally as a treat 1-2 every few days. Fruit flies - she has eaten a few that I have seen. Doesn’t seem to be interested in them.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ZooMed ReptiCalcium without D3 daily, ZooMed Reptivite Reptile Vitamins once a week. Currently don’t have calcium with D3 (will get soon and do 1-2 times a month)
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I spray with a spray mister, 2-3 times per day for 2 minutes. I have not seen her drink.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dark gray and jelly-like texture, pee was white. No never been tested.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I did get her from PetCo (I know, I know?)
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? The dreaded ZooMed Reptibreeze, Screen 16x16x30. I am planning on building her a much bigger one.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB - Zilla Slimline 18” Tropical Fixture 25UVB T8 Florecent Bulb. Basking - using the double fixture that was included with the Zoomed Chameleon Kit, but using a ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot 100w bulb. I have heard I need a bulb for my plants, but not sure what. Lights on at 10am and lights off at 10pm
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Average daytime cage temp is 75-80°F. Basking spot is around 86°F
Lowest overnight temp? 72°F
How do you measure these temps? Gauge inside cage. Basking temp by thermometer as well.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?
60-70%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a towel on the backside of cage to protect the wall from misting, she is in a room of her own with vent closed most of the way. I hand mist 2-3 times daily.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have two live plants - golden pathos and a bromeliad. Rest are fake plastic.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Room to herself, fan off, vent almost completely closed, little to no traffic. Top of cage is 5ft relative to floor. Cage is on a night stand.
Location - Where are you geographically located? South Georgia. Specially near Savannah, GA.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to keep her healthy and happy. Pictures of her and her cage.
Me holding her is from the day I brought her home and her cage was being set up.
Also, I just found her hanging from the top of her cage about 10 minutes after misting. I turned off her basking light so she wouldn’t get burned. Any ideas as to why she is doing this? This is the first time I’ve seen her do this.
ED23D1F6-4513-48AB-9FE4-001B8169D5EA.jpeg
5CEA484D-EA62-4249-BCE0-D960D28DF19F.jpeg

6E295299-295B-4F7D-A7BF-CBF010F43ADF.png
F8BD1A8F-E2DB-4877-AE3D-9197DF104D4C.png
CD7FDEFD-AB21-43FE-AEC7-B609D3C67F6B.jpeg
5890945A-A23F-4826-9D39-FB90B9AE9951.jpeg
1C0C0655-1B5E-4417-91E8-3E2F698114B6.jpeg

Last edited:
You need more cover and branches in the top half of the cage. If she's going to hang out on the lid of the cage, then you need to move the basking light off the lid. You need to be able to put your hand under her a basking light at the closest spot she can sit and not have to move your hand so she won't get burned.

Since it's a veiled, I also recommend that you use all real plants that are non toxic and well washed, both sides of the leaves....because veileds...especially the females...munch on vegetation and you don't want to end up with an impacted chameleon.

For UVB lights I recommend the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube light.

You will need a lay bin once she gets her big girl colors. Veiled females can lay eggs without having been mated and need a proper place to lay them or they can become eggbound.

I would recommend a dripper for watering as well. It should drop at the rate of one or two drips per second.

In addition to the carrots and collards you can use kale, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a small amount f apples, pears, mango, melon, berries, etc.

I love these Pieds... They are so unusual!

You need more cover and branches in the top half of the cage. If she's going to hang out on the lid of the cage, then you need to move the basking light off the lid. You need to be able to put your hand under her a basking light at the closest spot she can sit and not have to move your hand so she won't get burned.

Since it's a veiled, I also recommend that you use all real plants that are non toxic and well washed, both sides of the leaves....because veileds...especially the females...munch on vegetation and you don't want to end up with an impacted chameleon.

For UVB lights I recommend the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube light.

You will need a lay bin once she gets her big girl colors. Veiled females can lay eggs without having been mated and need a proper place to lay them or they can become eggbound.

I would recommend a dripper for watering as well. It should drop at the rate of one or two drips per second.

In addition to the carrots and collards you can use kale, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a small amount f apples, pears, mango, melon, berries, etc.

I love these Pieds... They are so unusual!
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I will do my best to change all of these. As far as temperatures and humidity do you think those are okay? And is that a good basking bulb? Sorry, I have so many questions.

For basking I use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that puts the basking temperature in the low 80'sF for veiled females.

I think the humidity is fine. There are several ways to keep the chameleons to do with humidity levels...so I never know what to say for sure about that. It depends in part on where you live in a way. I live in Ontario Canada...so I do it a bit differently than what you npmight want to.

For basking I use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that puts the basking temperature in the low 80'sF for veiled females.

I think the humidity is fine. There are several ways to keep the chameleons to do with humidity levels...so I never know what to say for sure about that. It depends in part on where you live in a way. I live in Ontario Canada...so I do it a bit differently than what you npmight want to.
Okay, great! Thank you for your time!

You're welcome. Ask any questions you want to...ill do my best to answer.
Hi! I’ve done my best to rearrange her setup as you suggested and moved everything more up and added more branches. I still have a mix of real and plastic plants, but would like to change that in the future. Looking any better?
BC1A2928-CBFD-4EDE-90F1-8F9859AF72A3.jpeg
48A08468-B820-4A3E-AD0E-3C55994B02CE.jpeg

Without D3 daily. I will use with D3 once every other week and the vitamin dusting once every opposite week.
Correct on how you will be supplementing. So what I am asking is what does your reptivite bottle say on it... They make reptivite with D3 and without. So this is important to know which your using so your not over supplementing D3.

Correct on how you will be supplementing. So what I am asking is what does your reptivite bottle say on it... They make reptivite with D3 and without. So this is important to know which your using so your not over supplementing D3.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. All I have is the sample packet that comes with the kit. I actually believe it has D3 in it. I will get one without.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. All I have is the sample packet that comes with the kit. I actually believe it has D3 in it. I will get one without.
Yeah I hate that sample pack because they don't clearly state it on the package. And no need to apologize... It is all like learning a foreign language. And while I try to keep my questions simple sometimes I speak in code as well lol.

I had to Google the scientific name for D3 and read it in the ingredients list. It is a foreign language, but I’m trying my best to learn it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I will do my best to change all of these. As far as temperatures and humidity do you think those are okay? And is that a good basking bulb? Sorry, I have so many questions.
Alicat93, sounds like you're doing great for a first-time cham-mom! Congratulations! Her long white lady gloves are lovely🦎although I'm not sure you mentioned her name. My pied is Gary 3 yrs and also have a classic veiled Benjamin, 4yrs. Bernie was my first, he's the icon. Just to let you know ahead, Gary's white lady-gloves all turned silky black color now-freaky, but Vet said OK. While I don't totally agree w her, as an RN I'm doing a watchful-waiting kind of thing on those gloves. Also his casque has turned around 1/3! My big concern is always about hydration/spraying. Drippers aren't always convenient, so I keep a bowl of freshwater in his screened enclosure (Reptibreeze--#1) and have fixed a clear air tube to the bottom of the 3" x 3" water bowl. The tube runs outside the cage to where excess tubing is curled up, than to a very LOW-power fish tank air pump which allows a consistent bubbling or disturbance of the water surface--both boys take water from this bubbling fountain. NOTE: Water needs changed every other day or so or immediately if ANY cricket/feeder/debris has fallen in. Also get 20' of tubing (Walmart) and every few water changes, cut the tube and pull up fresh tube from outside the cage feeding into the water bowl. Bacteria can be their mortal enemy.
I mist both manually twice a day, room temp to warm well water. If during your healthy husbandry you must miss some part of her care that day, let it be a feeding--she'll be OK for day. Never not MIST--and in my opinion, a little extra during shedding periods. Those fancy suction-cup jungle-looking waterfall contraptions will eventually harbor microorganisms you can't get to for proper cleaning, but it's always a breeze to scrub that glossy cereal bowl. Chams have thick saliva that sticks to the sides, so be sure to get that rinsed off (NO soap) or that will grow bacteria, too! Plus, any accessory with suction cups won't easily work with a screened enclosure--and this type of enclosure offers your pied girl the best of fresh air. Let me know if you want pics of Gary b/c I want to see more pics of your Pied Girl!

Alicat93, sounds like you're doing great for a first-time cham-mom! Congratulations! Her long white lady gloves are lovely🦎although I'm not sure you mentioned her name. My pied is Gary 3 yrs and also have a classic veiled Benjamin, 4yrs. Bernie was my first, he's the icon. Just to let you know ahead, Gary's white lady-gloves all turned silky black color now-freaky, but Vet said OK. While I don't totally agree w her, as an RN I'm doing a watchful-waiting kind of thing on those gloves. Also his casque has turned around 1/3! My big concern is always about hydration/spraying. Drippers aren't always convenient, so I keep a bowl of freshwater in his screened enclosure (Reptibreeze--#1) and have fixed a clear air tube to the bottom of the 3" x 3" water bowl. The tube runs outside the cage to where excess tubing is curled up, than to a very LOW-power fish tank air pump which allows a consistent bubbling or disturbance of the water surface--both boys take water from this bubbling fountain. NOTE: Water needs changed every other day or so or immediately if ANY cricket/feeder/debris has fallen in. Also get 20' of tubing (Walmart) and every few water changes, cut the tube and pull up fresh tube from outside the cage feeding into the water bowl. Bacteria can be their mortal enemy.
I mist both manually twice a day, room temp to warm well water. If during your healthy husbandry you must miss some part of her care that day, let it be a feeding--she'll be OK for day. Never not MIST--and in my opinion, a little extra during shedding periods. Those fancy suction-cup jungle-looking waterfall contraptions will eventually harbor microorganisms you can't get to for proper cleaning, but it's always a breeze to scrub that glossy cereal bowl. Chams have thick saliva that sticks to the sides, so be sure to get that rinsed off (NO soap) or that will grow bacteria, too! Plus, any accessory with suction cups won't easily work with a screened enclosure--and this type of enclosure offers your pied girl the best of fresh air. Let me know if you want pics of Gary b/c I want to see more pics of your Pied Girl!
Welcome on here! Sorry to say this, but I have a few things of note here:
-Bowls breed bacteria and aren't good to use (neither are bubblers). Use a dripper instead (home-made or bought) that only uses clean water, not one with a pump that recycles the water.
-Chameleons shouldn’t be misted with warm water, room temp only. Also, you don’t want to mist the chameleon directly but the enclosure instead. Of course, if the cham comes into the spray to clean their eyes or something, that’s fine
-Chameleons are dry-shedders, adding extra humidity doesn’t help them and can cause problems.
Sorry again!

Back
Top Bottom