Help Me Get Set Up

creatorss

Hello,

I am sure all of the answers I seek can be found if I searched the forums long enough but I'm tight on time and want to get this right so please help. My family and I have had a bearded dragon before but that's the only reptile we have owned. I got a call from a coworker earlier in the week asking if my kids would like a Chamelion. His teenage daughter had one and didn't want to care for it anymore. He said he had everything I needed for it and kids got excited by the idea so o accepted. He dropped her off yesterday. What a horror show.

From what I understand this Chameleon has been in his daughters care for 1 1/2 - 2 years. This poor thing was in a 10 gallon aquarium. The dual bulb set up only had a heat lamp with the UVB bulb having a broken socket in it. So who knows how long she has gone without UV light, little to no ability to climb ( of course with 10 gallon tank) and she is very skinny. Not knowing much of anything I took to the internet right away knowing this wasn't right.

I couldn't find the enclosure I wanted locally. So I ordered a Zoo Med Repibreeze XL enclosure, along with a new blue heat bulb and a 100w UVB bulb along with a digital thermometer set up that should arrive this week. I then went to pet store and for a UVB bulb to get her some light right away along with a cricket keeper, etc to get her fed. So my goal is to have a very nice habitat set up for her by the end of the week and I have a few questions.

First: what do you recommend I get to put inside for her to climb? Do I just harvest branches, etc from the woods? What about all the leaves I see in these types of habitats? Are there live plants, trees that would work better? What about at the bottom of the reptibreeze cage? Reptile carpet? I don't really like the substrate they are using in this aquarium. I know I am to mist several times a day but what about a water dish?

Please help me with suggestions for plants, branches, water solutions and I will make it happen. Also if there are any tips you can give me I'd appreciate it. I would normally take the time to research this well in advance of trying the pet but since this is a rescue of sorts I am trying to rush this education at least when it comes to getting the right set up ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

The xl Reptibreeze is good I use bare floor in cage can use branches from outside just bake them first. I use dowel rods wroth a screwand washer to hold them in or at dragon strand you can get the ledges for 30 bucks witch are very nice. I would get a linier florescent light with a 6% Arcadia lamp from light your reptile they last a year. As for foliage you can use some fake ones or buy a live plant. I would get a dripper or make one. I would put some pics up of her because with no uvb could have mbd from no uvb witch you'll have to take her to vet to get calcium shot. I'd put a pic up of her limbs so people can help you out. Your doing a good thing by helping this animal get out of a tiny cage that is rediculious. Others will help you out also that's just my input

Get repcal calcium and multivitamins Monday - saturdau calcium wit no d3 and 1 and 3 Sunday calcium with d3 2 and 4 Sunday use multivitamin. I'd get a vet visit set up if you can and can afford it wit a reptile vet so you can get a check up just to make sure she's okay

Thanks for your input. I will put up some pictures of her tomorrow. She is so skinny it's sad. What kind of plant would work best? You mentioned baking the branches, can you elaborate on procedure? Also, right now lighting wise she had a Zoo Med duo mini deep lamps I was going to run a heat lamp and UVB. You mentioned the 6% Arcadia set up. Do you have a link to a set up you recommend I purchase? I don't mind spending the money I need to get the right stuff I just don't have the knowledge or time to do the research I would like to. Also, any foresight on drip set up that would work best?

Thanks

Get repcal calcium and multivitamins Monday - saturdau calcium wit no d3 and 1 and 3 Sunday calcium with d3 2 and 4 Sunday use multivitamin. I'd get a vet visit set up if you can and can afford it wit a reptile vet so you can get a check up just to make sure she's okay

Any chance you can provide links to the recommended products? Please and thank you! I will look into vet visit.

For plants the most recommended are golden pathos, umbrella, and hibiscus. I also have a plant called wiggly fig that my cham loves.

Screenshot_2016-02-07-19-33-44.png

Dust crickets with these every other week. Only use one a week.(like one Sunday use d3, then the next Sunday use multivitamin).

there is calcium repcal is what I use the green with no d3 pink is with d3 and blue is multivitamins. as for the branches I would go find a few outside the ones you like make sure its no decaying and a sturdy branch clean them goo with warm water than put them in the oven on 350 for about a half hour is what I do. as for lighting for uvb http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-6-ho-bulb/ is the fixture you could use I have this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8F2O/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1454894831&sr=1&keywords=zoo+med+t5+ho it comes with the 5.0 reptisun witch is what a lot of people use with them they last 6 months the arcadia last a year heres the different lamps I use http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ar...-the-original-reptile-ho-t5-in-north-america/ witch is a 6% some people use 12% or you could usehttp://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Output-24w22in/dp/B00AQU8GF0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454895007&sr=8-6&keywords=5.0+reptisun a 24inch t5 ho fixture that is 24 inches uses a 22inch lamp you could use te t8 lighting but the t5 is the way to go. I use light your reptile for my lighting because I like to support small business instead of huge chains. as for live plants here is a safe plant list http://www.tikitikireptiles.com/pages.php?id=8 when you get a live plan here is a thread how to clean and repot them https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-plant.27259/#post318592 I use hibiscus myself pothos and dwarf umbrella plant. just use organic soil when repotting them I cover that with coco just you don't have to then use river rock or stones big enough the chameleon cant eat and put on top of soil so they don't ingest it can cause impaction joshfrogs.com has a few live plants like pothos you can use and lllreptile has umbrella plants if you cant get them from hardware store or Walmart. as for the dripper I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Big-D...id=1454895599&sr=8-2&keywords=reptile+dripper I use spring water with my chameleon some use distilled or R/O water.

also the lamps if you use the 5.0 reptisun they have to be changed evey 6 month because the uvb decreases through out use of the lamp it will still work just wont through off uvb. the arcadia is good for a year just set a reminder so you know when to get a new one or get a uvb meter but you don't really need it if you can just change them. uvb meter is a handy tool but cost 200 bucks.

Ok got the 5.0 right now and one on the way. Lots of good info so far. Thanks all!! I will rereview all replies tomorrow and make some lists. If I get that linked dropper, what do I do about drainage? Just have it drip into plants?

http://www.lllreptile.com/products/14111-24-x-24-x-48-screen-cage-water-tray-5-tray this is what I would get. on the pvc bottom of cage drill a bunch of holes than the cage sits right on top of this tray and you can either put a bulk head with a hose running to a bucket I just use a turkey baster every day and suck all the water out of you can get creative and make your own. I just bought the one was a lot easier. yes just get the drops to run on the leaves because they cant see still water they drink the dew off the leaves

Hi

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately the enclosure doesn't show till Tuesday. I've already bought and received the drain tray listed along with big dripper. I've got an umbrella plant and today I went out and got the branches and plan to wash and bake them. So Tuesday when it shows I will be all set. That bulb you gave me a link to, is it a third light you put on top or does it serve the purpose of a UVB?

Thanks

Nevermind about the light. I've read description now. I'm sure I will need more light and I'll look into it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom