Help Jackson’s Chameleon

Kevinith

I just ordered a Jackson’s chameleon online and it came with horrible packaging with it being put in a stale humid plastic tub with a wet tissue making it even worse instead of being in a bag. I am wondering if I can still do anything to try and save it. I put him in his outdoor enclosure and with the sunlight just hitting him for 2 hours he just stayed in that exact position with his eyes barely open but his pupils not out and awake. So then I thought it was starting to get colder so I put him back inside in my warm room with a temperature of 78 degrees with him under the light and still he did the same exact thing. All last night he barely even slept even though he had his eyes closed with him moving about a centimeter every hour and I took a picture with his mouth gaping which he did for about a minute to see the mucus in his mouth and the black top and bottom part of his mouth. I am wondering if I still have a possibility of saving him because I really want to do anything possible to do so. His grip is extremely weak compared to my 6 month old female veiled chameleon and most of the time he only has 2 arms holding him up on a branch.
BB188B62-7839-48E3-A752-0A6EA2BF0A36.png
B112A2ED-C85E-41CD-948A-54DA9E69EC91.png

I would schedule a vet appointment asap with a vet that actually knows chameleons. Just by what you are saying and the images I am concerned about an RI. But I would also make sure that he is quarantined away from your female veiled. Depending on where you got him from he could have other issues and if they are contagious you do not want to cross contaminate to your Veiled. :(
@JacksJill @Kaizen @Mendez are some of our Jackson keepers. Hopefully they can give you more feedback.

The way it's sitting with its mouth open and tongue showing in one of your pictures IMHO is saying that he's definitely on the way down. I'm not sure why you can do to help him.

Do not spray water in his mouth (not saying you would...just want to mention it cease so many people think this is the thing to do).
You can drip water on a leaf near him so he can lick it if he wants it.

We're there holes in the container he came in?

The way it's sitting with its mouth open and tongue showing in one of your pictures IMHO is saying that he's definitely on the way down. I'm not sure why you can do to help him.

Do not spray water in his mouth (not saying you would...just want to mention it cease so many people think this is the thing to do).
You can drip water on a leaf near him so he can lick it if he wants it.

We're there holes in the container he came in?
I didn’t try to force him to eat or drink he just denied anything. I think he might be dead right now though because he isn’t gripping on to anything anymore. He isnt brown or anything though so I have him outside in the warmth in the shade with the possibility to get sun if there is a slim chance he is alive. There was some holes in the top but it was also tightly packaged around in styrofoam and taped in every crack of the box.

To me, it sounds like a respiratory infection and a vet visit is a must; however, I don't know if a vet could even help at this stage of decline. Is his mouth always open now? Or just some of the time? If his mouth is open only parts of the day, then I would say that he might have a fighting chance if you get him to a good vet. He won't be able to pull out of this on his own. However, it sounds like he is very close to the end. I'm super sorry that you have to deal with this. The breeder should have never sent a cham in this condition. Make sure to notify the breeder/supplier. Hopefully, they can give you a refund because this is ridiculous.

A respiratory infection (RI) makes breathing incredibly difficult. At first, they hide the symptoms for as long as possible. As the infection progresses, they point their nose up into the air to make the airway as straight as possible. The final stage is where their body shuts down; they close their eyes, open their mouths to increase airflow, and lose their strength to move. Your new addition seems to be in the final stages.

I'm not sure if he is even fixable at this stage. Even a vet will have trouble fixing him up. I think @jannb will be able to help you find a reputable vet if that's the route you want to take. I agree with @kinyonga, I'm not sure what more you can do to help him. If the vet does not have experience with chameleons, I would avoid them as they tend to do much more harm than good.

Once again, sorry that this happened to you. Let us know if you would like to purchase from a reputable breeder who will deliver a much healthier animal to you, we can set you up with someone.

I really think he is at death's door. I would keep him at an ambient temp near 74 degrees. Not too warm and not too cold. I would refrain from bothering him (i.e moving him back and forth from a basking spot).

I'm sorry that I cannot provide any more assistance, I have an extremely limited amount of experience. Hopefully, @JacksJill or @Kaizen can help.

Final thoughts: It's up to you to take him to the vet or not. I have no idea how much time he has left or even if a vet can help him. If he is completely unresponsive, I would leave him alone and let him die in peace. If he seems to be somewhat responsive, I would try taking him to an experienced vet. Make sure to keep the supplier updated. This is ridiculous and you deserve a refund.

Back
Top Bottom