Help!! I'm in WAAY over my head.

Update on Dave: I really don't even want to admit this, but... until today I had no idea what the heck chameleon poop looked like... literally, Dave has not pooped since we got him 5? days ago... but this morning... Poop! YAY! (and kinda ew..lol), but I now understand what people were talking about when they said the "white part".. Daves is not white... its a little yellow.. so, more water for Dave... Also, I apparently left my cricket container too close to the heat... they died.. sigh. So. back to the store.. and move the cricket container.. try again.. work in progress here.. Dave seems to be a much much happier cham now though.. even with my learning curve difficulties.. She moves around to different places now.. basking some, hiding in the plants some... seems to stay various shades of green now too. Much better than black. YAY! Gonna work on her home a little more this weekend. Adding more plants and some more horizontal perches.. Will update yall with some pics when I get done. Thanks for all the advice! side note: When/ what age do I need to get a laying box? and, when/what size/ what age am I going to need to get a bigger home for Dave?
I believe it’s 6 months, and female veiled MINIMUM is 18 by 18 by 36 tall, I personally would go 24 by 24 by 48 or bigger

I will let one of the more experienced members tell you about female veileds and when they start to lay, but veiled chams in general do grow rather quickly. My male veiled (Leonard) was about the size of Dave(ina) when I got him in June, and he practically is over double the size. Now I know females don't get as big as the males (usually), but the rule of thumb for an adult veiled is a 2'x2'x4' cage (length x width x height). They will get to their adult size in a little over a year, but again, I'm not as experienced with females as some other members. Hopefully this gives you a rough idea of what to expect.

I can't add anything to what has been said as far as care goes, but I wanted to tell you what a great job you're doing. You must be a great Mom as well.

I do want to give you a word of caution, because this could get ugly. You can catch a very persistent and costly affliction from chameleons that you need to be aware of - Chameleomania. It often starts with one juvenile Veiled, but within a year, Dave will have a mate, you'll be incubating eggs, making room for some Jackson's and Panther chameleons, breeding roach colonies, incubating silkworm eggs, preparing better gutload mixtures than the salads you eat yourself, and contacting breeders of rare species. It's a progressive affliction that only gets worse with time - BUT IT'S AWESOME!!!

I can't add anything to what has been said as far as care goes, but I wanted to tell you what a great job you're doing. You must be a great Mom as well.

I do want to give you a word of caution, because this could get ugly. You can catch a very persistent and costly affliction from chameleons that you need to be aware of - Chameleomania. It often starts with one juvenile Veiled, but within a year, Dave will have a mate, you'll be incubating eggs, making room for some Jackson's and Panther chameleons, breeding roach colonies, incubating silkworm eggs, preparing better gutload mixtures than the salads you eat yourself, and contacting breeders of rare species. It's a progressive affliction that only gets worse with time - BUT IT'S AWESOME!!!

^^^...this.... this is the gospel truth. I have one Veiled. Now I want 6 panthers, 2 Jacksons, and a Parsons in a pear tree.

You can catch a very persistent and costly affliction from chameleons that you need to be aware of - Chameleomania.

Also known as Chameleitis and Obsessive E-reptile Dysfunction. This is a serious issue and some of the basic symptoms are...

Bugs that are welcome in your home that actually eat better than you do...
The need to constantly be looking in enclosures to see if everything is OK...
A sudden interest in light bulbs and how many types there are...
The uncontrollable urge to look at poop...
The feeling that you should have all lights out in your home for 12 hours...
The need to let everyone know the difference between iguanas and all other types of lizards...

There is no known cure, but that is OK...

Also known as Chameleitis and Obsessive E-reptile Dysfunction. This is a serious issue and some of the basic symptoms are...

The need to let everyone know the difference between iguanas and all other types of lizards...

Oh there is a cure....MORE!!!!

This is so true haha!

I am a recent owner of a baby veiled Chameleon and I am already itching for a Panther

so. Im noticing my temp dropping in the basking area to around 76.. im using a standard 60watt light bulb.. can i bump up to 75 watts? or is there another solution?

Ok. It’s me again yall.. can I see some pics of whatever kind of set up you have for your crickets or roaches or whatever staple you use.. I turned about 15 crickets loose in my house this morning .. I managed to catch 3 of them. ‍♀️. Like I said before, BIG learning curve here.. also, as a side note. I hate bugs.. lol. It just keeps getting better.

Ok. It’s me again yall.. can I see some pics of whatever kind of set up you have for your crickets or roaches or whatever staple you use.. I turned about 15 crickets loose in my house this morning .. I managed to catch 3 of them. ‍♀️. Like I said before, BIG learning curve here.. also, as a side note. I hate bugs.. lol. It just keeps getting better.
So I personally only use gasket sealed storage bins for peace of mind, cut out the majority of the lid, and hot glue window screen over it. I use this for both my roaches and crickets

Attachments

• EC790014-D57C-4507-A03C-637CA8FA345F.jpeg
    EC790014-D57C-4507-A03C-637CA8FA345F.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 90
For crickets, I would recommend the tallest bin possible so there’s no chance of them jumping out and use cardboard tubes (paper towel/toilet paper rolls) in the bin along with egg crate so you can grab that to shake into your dusting container so you can get a lot of crickets in one go

For crickets, I would recommend the tallest bin possible so there’s no chance of them jumping out and use cardboard tubes (paper towel/toilet paper rolls) in the bin along with egg crate so you can grab that to shake into your dusting container so you can get a lot of crickets in one go
For a dusting container, the 32 ounce deli cups that people use for fruit fly cultures work very well. They are tall and skinny, so the crickets can't jump out so easily unless tilted, and the skinny shape makes it easy to grip while putting crickets in the container.

Back
Top Bottom