Help!! I'm in WAAY over my head.

Even if they did, I wonder if they have to follow policy.

Petco probably has there own caresheets undoubtedly sponsored, handed down from corporate, that they have to follow. Maybe not, but I would not out it past them.
when I got mine at Petco, they told me nothing about care. I asked a few questions and they vaguely answered. they obviously had no idea. all the lady really said was its a female, watch out she likes to bite me.

when I got mine at Petco, they told me nothing about care. I asked a few questions and they vaguely answered. they obviously had no idea. all the lady really said was its a female, watch out she likes to bite me.

Ya, I mean I'm sure there is dumb ones.

However in some of the other Petco posts here there has been employees that have spoke out.

They said, it doesn't matter what the employees know the care comes from corporate and that's what has to be recitited, an employee that knows proper care may be doing you a favor by saying nothing at all. As they would have to give you wrong info.

There is also tricky state laws, as someone mentioned in a thread here, some states have laws saying reptiles have to have water dishes in their cages at all times. Mist on top of that sure, but their still has to be a water dish. And other silly things. That is not really the fault of Petco, but I'll informed law makers. Since Petco is across all 50 (52?) states. They then see it as best (maybe a must) to follow all of those foolish laws, passed down by people who have zero idea what they are doing.

I'm not trying to make them out as some innocent company, just saying there may be more to this story than is present at first glance.

Ya, I mean I'm sure there is dumb ones.

However in some of the other Petco posts here there has been employees that have spoke out.

They said, it doesn't matter what the employees know the care comes from corporate and that's what has to be recitited, an employee that knows proper care may be doing you a favor by saying nothing at all. As they would have to give you wrong info.

There is also tricky state laws, as someone mentioned in a thread here, some states have laws saying reptiles have to have water dishes in their cages at all times. Mist on top of that sure, but their still has to be a water dish. And other silly things. That is not really the fault of Petco, but I'll informed law makers. Since Petco is across all 50 (52?) states. They then see it as best (maybe a must) to follow all of those foolish laws, passed down by people who have zero idea what they are doing.

I'm not trying to make them out as some innocent company, just saying there may be more to this story than is present at first glance.

Hopefully that's true. But I've had other issues with them in the past. I think they just don't educate their employees. All they're worried about is making the sell. Since they are a business and all.

Im pretty sure dave is stuck with Dave for a name... We have now started calling her Crazy Dave and we were on a mission last night to "Save the Dave" according to my son.. lol

Okay so, first- “save the dave” is adorable and cracked me up! Second - you’re the real MVP!! All of your hard work will pay off. Chameleons are amazing creatures :love:(y) don’t know you but, I’m impressed with your dedication and proud of you for taking on the task of learning about your new friend!!!

Oh yeah. Did want to add- more branches/horizontal vines. I use jungle vines from the dreaded Petco (hey, some of their stuff is a-okay!)

Oh yeah. Did want to add- more branches/horizontal vines. I use jungle vines from the dreaded Petco (hey, some of their stuff is a-okay!)

Yes some of it is. I would kill for a Petco where I live. I have to drive 4 hours to the closest one.

All we have is petsense and they have a very limited availability of things for herps and such. And people won't ship like Exoterras, So that's a 4 hour drive to get.

You have come to the right place. First.... Mealworms are no no. Superworms (super mealworms are ok but not king mealworms). To start with i would feed crickets and superworms. We can get into more advance feedings later like tropical roaches.

Did you find the caresheets? https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
If you havnt read that, take a look and get back to us. Ill be watching.
wait ive never heard of no mealworms? is that really a thing?

Absolutely! Feed silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, black soldier fly larvae, superworms, crickets, dubia roaches, red runner roaches, stick insects, etc!
Just no mealworms and try to limit crickets and superworms so they aren’t a staple (vary up the diet with above so there is no staple)

We recently used differing size dowels, small screws and washers. I held the dowels in place, while my husband put the small screws in from outside. Once the dowels were cut, which took about five minutes with a regular ole hand saw, the placement took another five.

We recently used differing size dowels, small screws and washers. I held the dowels in place, while my husband put the small screws in from outside. Once the dowels were cut, which took about five minutes with a regular ole hand saw, the placement took another five.

Sounds like that’ll do the trick :)

Yes some of it is. I would kill for a Petco where I live. I have to drive 4 hours to the closest one.

All we have is petsense and they have a very limited availability of things for herps and such. And people won't ship like Exoterras, So that's a 4 hour drive to get.

Ugh, lame! I would imagine you must try to get creative then.

I've been wanting to try something other than crickets and superworms. They're the cheapest so that's what I've been using. They have roaches at Petco but they are in little plastic containers and they always have dead ones in there. just didn't seem worth the money. They have different kind of worms in a fridge. if I bought those, would I need to keep them in my fridge too?

I've been wanting to try something other than crickets and superworms. They're the cheapest so that's what I've been using. They have roaches at Petco but they are in little plastic containers and they always have dead ones in there. just didn't seem worth the money. They have different kind of worms in a fridge. if I bought those, would I need to keep them in my fridge too?
Try dubiaroaches.com rainbowmealworms.net fullthrottlefeedersfeeders coastalsilkworms TC Insects, etc

Ugh, lame! I would imagine you must try to get creative then.

Ya I was wanting a bunch if Exoterras for a new bug rack, and soon a bug room.

Just hit petsense today actually to get a new snail enclosure I just shattered it today :(. , they didn't even have 18x18x12 :(. The only exos they had was 12x12x18, and they had the Zoomed I think 12x12x20, I was like what in the worthless...... That's too small for even my darn bugs come on......

I think I am going to get down on some screen cage building and convert it to paneled with PVC like dragonstrands, and silicon it inside. Lighter, cheaper(?), And custom size :).

I do prefer the double doors. But I got an idea on a way to make that happen, with acrylic, doors. Maybe, I'm not sure. We will see :).

:LOL: oh no.. the dreaded Petco again.. sigh... lol.. I told my son he is not to bring another living creature into this house (other than Dave food) for a very very very long time... lol .. I already have a cat, 3 chickens, and now... a Dave(ina).

Update on Dave: I really don't even want to admit this, but... until today I had no idea what the heck chameleon poop looked like... literally, Dave has not pooped since we got him 5? days ago... but this morning... Poop! YAY! (and kinda ew..lol), but I now understand what people were talking about when they said the "white part".. Daves is not white... its a little yellow.. so, more water for Dave... Also, I apparently left my cricket container too close to the heat... they died.. sigh. So. back to the store.. and move the cricket container.. try again.. work in progress here.. Dave seems to be a much much happier cham now though.. even with my learning curve difficulties.. She moves around to different places now.. basking some, hiding in the plants some... seems to stay various shades of green now too. Much better than black. YAY! Gonna work on her home a little more this weekend. Adding more plants and some more horizontal perches.. Will update yall with some pics when I get done. Thanks for all the advice! side note: When/ what age do I need to get a laying box? and, when/what size/ what age am I going to need to get a bigger home for Dave?

Back
Top Bottom