Help help help

When making bug juice about how much pedialyte an how many bugs should I put in a batch? I put in 6 crickets and 3 or 4 super worms and a small dipping sauce sized cup of pedialyte. It was way more then I needed but I had to have more just to get it too blend. Not sure what the ratio-pedialyte actually was.

I heard giving them liquids like that can asphyxiate them. Any way to do it to be more cautious? He dis seem to take big breaths after each squirt.

Here is a post on the anatomy of the chameleon mouth to give you an idea of what you're dealing with: https://www.chameleonforums.com/warning-all-chameleon-owners-80201/index3.html#post755568

Aspiration is always a risk when you're forcing fluids. Try to squirt only a very small amount when you first open his mouth. Most likely that will make him start licking to swallow that small amount, and while he is doing that then is the time to squirt more. Each time he opens his mouth, even if it's a small amount. Then he is not breathing, he is swallowing and protecting his airway. This is what I have to do with my veiled who will not drink from any reasonable method at all. He always hisses at me, which is the worst time to squirt stuff in his mouth because his airway is wide open. So I just put in a drop on the side, and that makes him start licking/swallowing and then I can give him the full volume more appropriately when I know the risk of aspiration is less.

Make the bug juice as thick or watery as you need it to be to be usable. If you're using a syringe to squirt it then just make it as watery as needed to be able to suck it up and squirt it out easily. Right now you can aim for more watery than thick since he's not in danger of starving, but really needs the hydration.

Thanks for that. I'll pass that yellow mouth info on to him when I call him tomorrow.

If the windpipe is closer o the bottom and front like that is it better to try and get the syringe behind it when putting th juice in his mouth?

Tomorrow both me and my GF work all day so there isn't someone to watch the Cham all day and spend the time to get him to drink. In the morning I assume he won't be eatting so I am gonna make some bug juice with pedialyte. Would the 3 ml of that be enough for him or should I give him more because he won't have someone feeding/drinking him throughout the day. I am gonna pop in on my lunch to try and get him to drink more but I am also limited on time for that so I am no expecting much then.

The vet also said if he still seems to have trouble pooping tomorrow and his baCk legs still aren't going well I should bring him in for blood test. I will probably do it on Wednesday because I have that day off.

Also how often to chams poop? He has been trying to poo the last couple days and can't but he did crap twice earlier last week.

It depends on the cham. Some poop every 2 days, but mine poops every 2 weeks. That's how he's always been so it's normal for him. But that long may not be normal for the every 2 day poopers. I didn't see what's been happening with his back legs but enlarged kidneys can also pinch the nerves that go to the back legs...

Try to give him as much as he'll tolerate. If he starts pulling away though don't force more than a few mls. I would try 3-5ml in the morning and then he'll probably be fine until you get home from work, and then try for another 3 or so. Beware that bloodwork might tell you something is wrong, or it might not, even though there is something. Reptile bloodwork is not as reliable as mammal bloodwork. I would definitely still do it if I were you, but just wanted to let you know that first.

I made an appointment tomorrow at 2 to get blood work done. That is the earliest the receptionist gave me. I know the vet would have let me bring him in today but he hadn't arrived yet and I had to go to work.

This morning I got him to eat 4 supers worms and 3 crickets. And every time he was swallowing I would drip pedialyte in his mouth when it was open. He also got his Tums.

He still has some trouble grabbing into things so I added so more vines in his tank so if he stummbles he can hopefully save himself or at least not fall far.

You might want to put a folded towel on the bottom of the enclosure so if he falls all the way he lands on something soft.

I started doing that. Also put it around the plant base in case he hits the edge of that.

I think tonight I am just gonna move him to the bottom of the plant just in case. He seems to be ok when he is awake and more just stummbles but catches himself. When he is slipping though is when he seems tO be falling completely.

Glad he ate well for you! Even better that he got some pedialyte and calcium! Great job. :D Let us know how his bloodwork turns out. Hoping for the best!

Struggled more with getting him to eat and drink this morning. He would have the cricket or worm in the back if his throat and just refuse to swallow. Didn't get much fluids into him either today. He seems about the same as he has been the last few days otherwise. I m gonna take him out side before his vet appointment and try an get him to drink.

Read all your posts and just wanted to wish u luck and compliment you for your patience and dedication to getting your pet well. I know it must be very frustrating for you, esp since you put your trust in the former owner of your cham, and they didnt give u the straight story!!

I hope all goes well

Just took him outside for almost an hour. Could get him to drink anything. Had to bring him in the get ready to go to the vet. His was a little more active today but he also hasn't really drank anything. His eyes look a little more sunk in ten they were yesterday.

Just left the vet office. They took the Cham to get some bloodwork and X-rays done. I should be getting him back in a little while and he say the results should be a couple days. He is sending the tests to a vet in Calgary for a consult because he said they have a testing machine that is reptile specific where his is a general machine that tests all animals. He was very nice and explained what all potential options could be depending on what the results of the tests are. He also sai he has gained weight since he last saw him which was good but he was a little surprised thr with the gain, that he still looked dehydrated. He was also giving him another injection of fluids while he is there.

I read all your posts and I am so sorry about your chameleon. I really hope he pulls threw and gets better soon. Stay strong and good luck. Keep us posted.

Vet said the Cham pooed while he was there. Looked normal color but a little runny. He also puked up a whole undigested superworm I had fed him 8 hours earlier while he was there. So He said to just feed bug juice the next couple days. He could still feel some food in him from this morning so becuase of te regurgitated worm he said try a little less food for a bit and more fluids. Hence bug juice.

He should have the results in a couple days. Here's hoping it not kidney problems becuase he said, and I also heard from others that kidneys wouldn't really be treatable.

I found him in his tank with his mouth open. He kinda looke like he was dry heaving. I also found 2 regurgitated crickets in the tank.

Sounds like there might be some crickets hiding in the cage. Maybe try to lure them out by putting a piece of apple on a dish on the bottom of the cage.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your boy....he's very lucky to have you guys..ill be keeping my fingers crossed for you that the blood results come back with nothing too serious...try to stay positive and you really are doing a great job with him

Sounds like there might be some crickets hiding in the cage. Maybe try to lure them out by putting a piece of apple on a dish on the bottom of the cage.

They weren't from crickets in the cage. I had fed him some this morning out I the cage. He apparently didn't take to well on the today. Not sure If it just happened or if it was mabey from him getting moved around or the bloodwork and X-rays and such. That could have been too much stress or movement for his belly to take.

Back
Top Bottom