HELP found mites on umbrella plants!!! ahhhhhh

Lacewing larvae, thanks!! I'll do some research, years ago I did get some predatory mites, they did nothing, could have been a bad vendor, they probably died or ate each other in transit, the order took almost 2 weeks to arrive. The mitecide worked but is lethal to chams

Look into this stuff called smite. I have used it in the past for plants and it’s all natural ingredients too. When I used it it killed every single spider mite. It doesn’t work like other pesticides it covers the mites in a oil based liquid that prevents them from breathing. After I used smite I rinsed my plants and replaced them. But you will also have to do your whole enclosure and I mean everything. Plus putting the plants outside won’t effect the mites as they will just go into hibernation and they can live that way for months sometimes years.

Lacewing larvae, thanks!! I'll do some research, years ago I did get some predatory mites, they did nothing, could have been a bad vendor, they probably died or ate each other in transit, the order took almost 2 weeks to arrive. The mitecide worked but is lethal to chams

Geez, long transit time there. The site I linked only does overnight on the live bugs. The eggs came in 3 days but I never noticed any larvae that hatched though after seeing how small they were I'm not surprised I didn't tbh.

There is also the co2 route though I've not tried that personally yet. Before the green lacewing I had considered it though since I have a 20lb cylinder collecting dust now lol.

Ok guys. So I got this umbrella... Cleaned the leaves by soaking and washing off in dawn and warm water all the way down to the roots. 3 times then rinsed completely and air dried. Upon inspection today I found microscopic bugs on it. They are seriously tiny and I never would have seen them had I not been face to face with them. Beman has been hanging out on this plant... What do I do??????? Will they infest Beman? Trash the plant? :(
Holy crud - thats not good. Is Beeman okay ?

Holy crud - thats not good. Is Beeman okay ?
Mr Beman is good. Vet said not to worry about the spider mites... Biggest issue now is trashing everything and trying to return all the plants back to the store. I can't chance using anything in his current cage for the next one because he could have carried the mites back to the cage after sitting on them the past 2 weeks.
I was sad though because it was the umbrella I told you about. :( I think I am going to just add my two big pothos that are not infected with bugs and get a hibiscus as soon as they get them into the good nursery in March. Thank goodness I had the pothos across the room from all the other plants. I got those from the good nursery too.

Don't trash everything quite yet.
I can't type right now but I have a few things that will help you.
Systemic insecticides for one.
Be back this afternoon to try and help, but all is not lost.

Don't trash everything quite yet.
I can't type right now but I have a few things that will help you.
Systemic insecticides for one.
Be back this afternoon to try and help, but all is not lost.
Awesome thank you! The plants are going back to the store but I have about $75 worth of plants, vines, and wood sticks in the current enclosure that I have no idea what the heck to do other then toss.

Mr Beman is good. Vet said not to worry about the spider mites... Biggest issue now is trashing everything and trying to return all the plants back to the store. I can't chance using anything in his current cage for the next one because he could have carried the mites back to the cage after sitting on them the past 2 weeks.
I was sad though because it was the umbrella I told you about. :( I think I am going to just add my two big pothos that are not infected with bugs and get a hibiscus as soon as they get them into the good nursery in March. Thank goodness I had the pothos across the room from all the other plants. I got those from the good nursery too.
Now, I need to check out my umbrella and make sure I am not seeing the same thing. So how did you see them if they are that small?

Now, I need to check out my umbrella and make sure I am not seeing the same thing. So how did you see them if they are that small?
Look at the underside of the leaves. They leave tiny pin sized puncture holes. Also leave small webbing like substance. I found it where the stems meet the branches and under the leaves. I found them because the light was coming through the window and I could see the webbing. I thought at first it was just lint from laying it out to dry out on the towel after cleaning. When I got really close I could see itty bitty dots. One smooshed between my fingers. So I found another one and watched really closely and could see it moving on my finger. On further inspection of the other 7 plants that were sitting with this one had them as well. :( They spread fast and although are not harmful to the cham they kill off their host plant and leave nasty webs behind which I would not want near my baby. So I am going full crazy here cleaning and taking them all back. LOL

I am thinking they are spider mites. There are itty bitty tiny little webs too. Trying google searches now to see if they can hurt Beman. I don't have a macro lens. :(
I think all Cham owners should have a macro lens for their phone’s camera. You can get them for about $15 on Amazon, they come in handy!

Back
Top Bottom