Help! Feeder to big!

cushcameleon

My rudis cameleon cush just swallowed a dubia roach about 2/3 the size of his head. I realized the bug was to big when it entered his mouth but he had already eaten it. He swallowed the bug after about ten minutes of chewing. I attempted to pull the roach out with tongs but I could not get a hold of it. For several minutes he was gaping and his eyes seem to have sunken into his head a little more. For a couple of seconds he was closing his eyes. As of right now I am holding him, he seems alert, both of his eyes are open, his mouth is closed, he seems to be breathing normally (his chest is expanding and retracting rythimcally). I am debating on whether or not I should take him to the vet, today was my first experience feeding him roaching, clearly they are rough bodied bugs. It is going to be able to digest properly? Again, he seems fine now but for several minutes he was acting very strange.

I had a cham take a roach I thought was too big and she wouldn't let it go either. She is fine, after a couple of minutes she went after a cricket. Give him a little while unless he seems unable to get the roach down his throat. Has it gone down his throat yet? Just watch him and as long as he seems ok I would just let him be. But I don't know much about it as the one my little girl took wasn't as big.

Yes it has been down his throat for about ten minutes now. He seems fine and has normal coloration. The only abnormal behavior is that every once in a while he will close one of his eyes.

Just leave him alone for now and watch over him.. I wouldn't handle him tho. Would you like to be poke around with a full stomach?? jk.. but yeah I think he should be fine...

If he is really young then I would be concern.. just my thoughts....

I doubt the roach will be a problem, It should be fine. I would keep an eye on its eye closing. Maybe increase misting a little bit . Maybe it needs a good cleaning.

I doubt the roach will be a problem, It should be fine. I would keep an eye on its eye closing. Maybe increase misting a little bit . Maybe it needs a good cleaning.

Ya, I just noticed he started doing this, I will up the misting and see if there is something he needs to flush out. He is occasionally closing both eyes, not just one. Is there any possibility of impaction with roaches? If so, what are the signs I need to look out for? Thanks for the fast replies everyone, that got me a bit nervous :rolleyes:

Ya, I just noticed he started doing this, I will up the misting and see if there is something he needs to flush out. He is occasionally closing both eyes, not just one. Is there any possibility of impaction with roaches?

Its possible , but I wouldn't worry too much about impaction. Just make sure he poops. If he keeps closing his eyes, it would be best to take him to a vet.

Increase watering, if you're concerned about impaction. And feed soft bodies prey for the next couple days (silkworms, butterworms, hornworms)

Increase watering, if you're concerned about impaction. And feed soft bodies prey for the next couple days (silkworms, butterworms, hornworms)

Ok, will do. I checked on him throughout the remainder of the day and he has been acting normal. He is now sleeping peacefully.

Now sounds like a good time to share nasty half-digested dubia pictures!

Dubia_Roach__slightly_digested_by_SynPlus.jpg

You're welcome.

Lol it actually wasn't pooped out, it was removed from his mouth because that one "scale" that is sticking out like a hook?
Caught on my veiled's mouth. Had to wrap him up in a towel and remove it with some tweasers.

I guess he was putting up the fight for his life. Was he dead by the time you pulled him out? The dubia I feed kept on crawling and crawling every time cush would open his mouth to swallow.

It was dead while it was IN his mouth, the chameleon just caught him funny, and it went down oddly as well.

My veiled is a beast! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom