Help!? chams sleepin alot

Auntbee86

My cham has been sleeping throughout the day....Its been a big drop in temps here in FL from like 90's to like 60 &770's in daytime ive upped my 60w to a 75w and do regular feeding and misting is it just kuz of the cold or may ther be a bigger issue?? help :confused: I'm worried!!

A drop in temps should not cause your chameleon to sleep during the day, maybe become a little less active, but not sleep. What type of UVB light are you using and what is your basking temp? I live in Florida also and the temp change has not caused my cham to sleep during the day. There must be something else going on here.

Hope things turn around...

Sleeping during the day is never a good sign, any other behavioral changes? I know everyone will want to try to help to see what "may be going on" but in order to do that can you please fill out the "ask for help form"?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Hope your "kid" is feeling better soon! :eek:

How long has he been sleeping during daylight hrs? What were his baskng temps before the bulb change? What are they now after the bulb change? Has he been eatting, drinking and basking normally? Does he make any gurgling noises when breathing or bubbling around the mouth during breathing?

Okay his temps have been around the same....before bulb change daylight temps were around 80 night around 74 and a basking around 88 and when temps dropped about 5-10 degrees colder now with the new bulb temps are basking at 88-89, day at 79-81 and night around 70-71 the humidity has stayed the same around 69-70. he's only been eating about 4-7 3/4-1/2 size crickets a day for about a month now and his poopies look really good i still see him drinking off leaves as always but the only thing I've really noticed is that looking directly at him the left eye winks/ closes more then the other but it looks perfect just like the other eye. and every few hrs i look over n hes currled up ready for a nap...reguardless my apt looks like a dungeon i like it dark but his lights are on a timer which i havent changed over to the new timezone yet...its been at 8am-8pm. i need to change the timer though kuz hes up by 7am and tryin to sleep by 7pm. maybe hes just stuck on wront timezone or since he sees its really dark in apt that its time to sleep?? i normally see him napping/sleeping for around 1-2 hrs random times but only like twice today and second time i tossed in one more cricket and he woke up to eat a snack. now roaming cage and lookin around. I work alot so I've just noticed this today i worked like 12 days straight and havent noticed anything outta the norm. no weird sounds and hes basking normally, so I'm not sure.....help!

Can you make the apartment brighter and not so dark during the day? Also, I have just switched my lights off an hour early. I live in Fla also, so Lights went on today at about 7 and I turned them off at 6 cause it was dark outside and he was in his sleeping position with his eyes open. I have my cage by my computer so I cover with towels at night to not be distracted by the light. I still find it strange that he is sleeping during the day, you said he is eating, drinking, etc, normally. I would try not having the apartment so dark, although I am assuming it has been dark all along and the daytime sleeping was not an issue? I don't think the change in the basking bulb by 15 watts would make the difference. Just my opinion.

i normally open the blinds of my two sliding glass doors and lots of light comes in but I've had them closed all yesterday and today I've been working double shifts and been busy didnt thoink to open them their normally always open I just didnt think that was it. I'll keep a close watch and change the timers for like 6-6pm and see how tomorrow goes with blinds open. thanks. my only thing is the left eye is blinking more often them the right one they both look great I'm going to schedule a vet check up and have him looked at just to be safe and see how it goes. Ill keep everyone posted. thanks again :)

I dont know, it could be the dark room but Ive seen others that kept chams in basements that were pretty dark during daylight hrs. If you continue to see him sleeping then I'd take him in and let a vet take a look. It could be anything: parasites, infection, etc... Good luck lets hope it was an isolated incident.:)

Mine has been sleeping alot to, and my local reptile store told me I need to raise the tempeture in her cage. Because it was possibly to cold. Although my lowest temp is 70 at the bottom of the cage. I may take mine to the vet if she continues just to have her checked out.

Back
Top Bottom