Help chameleon noob, im EXTREMELY worried

Are you going to put a container of sand/soil in the other cage or just keep her in that one now?

Its really important to start the calcium as soon as possible.

Im going to see if i can get some money or something so i can take her to the vet tomorrow and move her to a bigger fish tank after the vet says if she is if i dont go ill move her anyways

The vet should be able to give the chameleon injections of calcium until the blood calcium levels are high enough and then give it a shot of calcitonin to draw the calcium back into the bones quickly. Although the chameleon will still be stuck with the deformities, things will be brought back into balance...then you have to keep them there by making the necessary husbandry changes.

If you read that long post I made it will give you the basics of the husbandry needed....along with some of the links I put in it.

The vet should also be able to tell you if she's gravid.

I don't want to interrupt what is obviously the most important discussion, but I suspect you wouldn't see the signs of stress a chameleon shows when faced with a predator. That the birds fly around the room convinces me that this adding to the animal's stress. They don't flinch or cower or runaway. Often, they look spectacular! I mean, like "wow,look how pretty!!!!"

They're contrary little critters.

Last edited:
yeah she wouldnt even change colors she would walk towards them, i understand it might stress but its not, they dont come in contact often and when they do (they are like 3 feet away) the cham just keeps walking wat ever direction it pleases..

(Dont read if you are sensitive!!!) Hey so I took her to the vet two times and the first time a vet said that she was fine just dehydrated and they injected her with fluids. Then i went again because she had been sleeping all day but honestly she seemed better. I took her just to be sure that she was fine, they injected her again and i found her dead in her cage with purple bulging eyes and her tongue was out. She look all bruised by her jaw as well. I feel like the last injection they gave her actually killed her. She(the vet) said they put the fluids in one spot and alot (not like the first time which were space through out her body). I feel like they over injected her because i dont understand how a dehydrated dead chameleon can still have purple bulging and full of liquid eyes after over 12 hours of it being dead and hav ing sinked eyes for a couple of days. Im taking care of her body now R.I.P.... =[[[[

What i am asking is wat do u guys think she died from?

So sorry to hear that the poor chameleon died. Its always sad to lose one.

The vet did nothing about the MBD? Did she run any tests? Did she simply assume that the chameleon was dehydrated because of the sunken eyes?
Was there any mention of eggs?

You said she had purple bulging eyes and her tongue was out...the tongue is often out when they die...and the bulging eyes don't surprise me either. You said she look all bruised by her jaw too...chameleons tend to change tod dark colors on various parts of their bodies when they die too.

A necropsy might show what she died of. Its often included free of charge when you are a client of the vet.

Well she had purple marcs around her face. Her eyes were purple as well and just bulging like crazy. They didnt run anytest either time.

Back
Top Bottom