Help chameleon noob, im EXTREMELY worried

Well what explains her eyes??
i read about vitamin a deff. But im sure she had enough. Where/what kind of eye bin i need? how can i tell if shes egging

no that was taken abput 3 weeks ago

If she is full of eggs and does not lay she will die. Her eyes are secondary right now. She might be too weak to lay now. She looks pretty ill in the picture. I am not well versed with females laying eggs so I will let someone else step in here. Kinyonga can hopefully guide you on what to do.

If she is a female and needs to lay eggs, you want to make a laying bin. Laying bins are made up of a bin large enough for the chameleon to lay eggs, a 5 gallon bucket could work, fill it with damp sand mixed with dirt, make sure that it doesn't cave in if she digs. Kinyonga can assist you further with this, could you post some updated pics of her?

The second picture, are those all little bumps on the side? Under normal circumstances you get a 12 X 12 bin with moist washed play sand and put her in there to dig or let her crawl down to it to dig. I don't know at this point if your chameleon could lay. She looks so weak She looks dehydrated and sick.

am trying to get Kinyonga back to comment on the thread. Again, I don't have any experience personally with females laying eggs if that is the case here. You threw the whole thread off in the beginning saying your chameleon was a male.

am trying to get Kinyonga back to comment on the thread. Again, I don't have any experience personally with females laying eggs if that is the case here. You threw the whole thread off in the beginning saying your chameleon was a male.

I agree. kinyonga needs to come back! its my first time with my female being gravid and laying and her first fertile clutch.

also check her back feet if you see a spur like thing sticking off the back off her foot its a male if there isn't one its a male (sorry if that was already posted)

here are two more just taken. she looks so bad i dont want her to die =[[
:(

She doesnt look full of eggs but idk. Shes always been bowed armed. im guesing its all because of the lack of proper uv =[.

Attachments

• Photo_0713C667-9E08-ED23-D9ED-45B2902AC2DA.jpg
    Photo_0713C667-9E08-ED23-D9ED-45B2902AC2DA.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Photo_A6F9BDCE-783C-BED4-BB4F-A0E7DB6C72C6.jpg
    Photo_A6F9BDCE-783C-BED4-BB4F-A0E7DB6C72C6.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 175
the bowing of the arm could be MBD, try and make a vet app. for her as soon as you can. that way you can tell if she's truly gravid and get the right attention for her arms if she does have MBD.

im honestly completly broke for another 3 weeks. I know how expensive exotic vets are even for my lame parrakeet's its hard. =[[ I really love this chameleon even tho we only been friends for like 1 1/4 months. I wish she wouldve been better cared for for the first 5-8 months of her life =[. Ill try to see if i can make an appoinment but any help or tips from people would be great even if its a non-welcomed time say goodbye to my chameleon =[[[[[

Im gunna do all possible to make her get better.

im honestly completly broke for another 3 weeks. I know how expensive exotic vets are even for my lame parrakeet's its hard. =[[ I really love this chameleon even tho we only been friends for like 1 1/4 months. I wish she wouldve been better cared for for the first 5-8 months of her life =[. Ill try to see if i can make an appoinment but any help or tips from people would be great even if its a non-welcomed time say goodbye to my chameleon =[[[[[

Im gunna do all possible to make her get better.

do you think that someone can help you out? maybe you can be on a payment plan with the vet.

the bowing of the arm could be MBD, try and make a vet app. for her as soon as you can. that way you can tell if she's truly gravid and get the right attention for her arms if she does have MBD.

She definitely has MBD. There is no way to fully reverse that. A vet could give her liquid calcium injections to draw the calcium back into her bones but its obviously gonna cost you. It is such a shame that she was cared for with such ignorance by your friend. Sorry to have to say that. I am not 100% sure about the egg thing. She is ill and there is no doubt about that. Is she drinking?

Im sure the vet does have payment options , it wont be easy but yeah. Do u think she looks gravid? I dont want a vet to say she needs 1450 test to tell me its too late i know its worth trying but my last encouters with vets. they told me to put my cocker spaniel down and i said no, she lived for 3.5 more happy years and passed away a year ago. Same with my other cocker spaniel except this one needed surgury to remove a "malicious" tumor that there was a huge chance of her dying, months later after denying the surgery they found out it wasnt malicious. But she also passed away =[

she drinks from my spry bottle (which i try to make it dc water) every other day. Its cute shell walk towards me and put her mnouth on it and start swallowing. She seemed not dehydrated until the tempeture in MN dropped to MAX of 10 degs. and it was impossible to keep her cage over 60 humidity.

also my heater(which dries air) was pointed towards her cage which i didnt really notice and probably helped her become dehydrated.

Hello-Carol pointed me to this thread-so a few questions...
Are her eyes closed because it is late and she is supposed to be sleeping in the pics or are her eyes closed all of the time?
I would quit worrying so much about humidity-if you are making it too humid in that glass cage you can make her more ill.
How many times a day are you misting? She looks dehydrated and terribly dry? Is that only a fake plant in the cage?

Both she was just sleeping and she only is fully awake for about an hour every other hour. There are two fake plants. I mist her about 3-4 times a day.(its very dry in MN for the last week) but before that more because the cage wasnt very "closed" so it was hard to keep it warm and humid. I just recently put saran wrap on half of the ceiling which is helping. I takled to peolpe at petsmart a coupe of time that have owned and know about chameleons and they kept telling me to do certain things, it has helped but not solved it obviusly.

One thing I notice is that you have one of those cruddy analog thermometers-I guarantee you that it is not giving you the right temps-so you could be overheating her and dehydrating her even more. You need to get a digital thermometer with a probe tomorrow and get a good idea of temps. How cold is it in the room where the cham is? I imagine even if the room is cool, a 60 watt lightbulb will heat up that 12X12X18 (which is far too small for a Veiled of either sex) quite nicely. Take the saran wrap off the top or you are causing a damp stagnant environment and will cause even more issues. She needs some airflow in there. The big problem is that you cannot put a laying bin in there-the cage is just too small. So-you either need a bigger cage or you need to get something like a 13+ gallon or larger garbage can and fill it about 12" deep with organic soil, or a mix of playsand and organic soil or playsand and coconut fiber, and put her in it to see if she will dig and lay if she needs to. You will need to keep the bin warm-meaning in the low to mid 70's-you could do that by clamping a light to the edge and shining it down. BUT-the big problem is we don't know exactly what is wrong with her, be it that she is getting eggbound and going downhill, or is she is suffering from advanced MBD-which not only causes bone issues but orgain failure. AND-the more you mess with her the more stressed and ill she will become. Your best bet is to get into a Vet that knows about chameleons to find out exactly what you need to do. You absolutley need to get a UVB light and start supplementing her correctly. Too much D3 or vitamins will also do harm.

Back
Top Bottom