Help...Ants

chamdy

I am having a problem with small ants getting around my nano enclosure. What do I do safely? I continue to clean it out daily and today I found some in the enclosure.

I’ve gotta ask - what’s in the nano enclosure?
I’m always battling one pest or another (Florida! :rolleyes:). For ants, I use Terro drops and get the bait style ‘traps’. I’ve found both safe to use in the same room and even next to or below my enclosures. Of course, if you can find where they are getting in from or one of their pathways, you’ll know the best place to put the bait. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TERRO-2-...-Ai4Zmz2UY8PyXbJDOQU0QbEGNUiB4YxoCs3gQAvD_BwE

I’ve gotta ask - what’s in the nano enclosure?
I’m always battling one pest or another (Florida! :rolleyes:). For ants, I use Terro drops and get the bait style ‘traps’. I’ve found both safe to use in the same room and even next to or below my enclosures. Of course, if you can find where they are getting in from or one of their pathways, you’ll know the best place to put the bait. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TERRO-2-...-Ai4Zmz2UY8PyXbJDOQU0QbEGNUiB4YxoCs3gQAvD_BwE
Are you asking what insects I have in the enclosure or my husbandary in the enclosure?

There doesnt seem to be a pathway that I have found yet. We have had rain recently so they are making into the house. We know not to leave food or drinks out. But now with fruit flies and crickets the ants are roaming around.

Are you asking what insects I have in the enclosure or my husbandary in the enclosure?

There doesnt seem to be a pathway that I have found yet. We have had rain recently so they are making into the house. We know not to leave food or drinks out. But now with fruit flies and crickets the ants are roaming around.
I’m curious about what animal you have in the nano enclosure. Just being nosy. lol
Last autumn I had ants coming in and they were getting into a small cricket bin. I put both the drops and bait traps in the window sills, where I assume they entered from and then just bait traps around the room where I had seen them. Removed the small cricket bin and made sure they couldn’t get into my big bin. Within a week or so they became less and then none.

Oh MissSkittles we have talked before. Starburst, my 5 week old female panther is in my enclosure. I am the beginner that did an uneducated purchase of an egg and learned real quick with this hatchling. Willing to do anything and am quickly becoming a helicopter chameleon mom, worried about poop, feeders, and so much more.

Attachments

• 20240227_205709.jpg
    20240227_205709.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 8
I can also vouch for the Terro ant bait! I originally started using these cause they are safe for dogs. Can confirm my dog has gotten into it before. The most harmful thing about it is the plastic trap itself. It’s super sticky so I recommend putting a small piece of cardboard under the trap incase it leaks a bit. And obviously don’t put it in Starburst’s cage. Fantastic product!

Ants don't need help they are very capable. JK. :cool:

Your two best non-toxic defenses are diatomaceous earth or bowls of water. Use either to create a barrier from the source of the ants to their destination. Ants can't cross lines of diatomaceous earth it is like death by a thousand cuts to them.
If they are climbing the legs of your stand then bowls of water under the legs can form a barrier as they do not swim.

For a nano enclosure I would either make a sheet pan moat or do a line of diatomaceous earth around the enclosure. The white powder is harmless to animals. It is used in some animal diarrhea treatments. It will make your house look a bit like a scene from Scarface.

I would be worried my cham would eat bugs that ate the bait. I used compressed air duster cans to kill my pests. Holding the can upside down releases freezing gas that kills them instantly. That and rubbing alcohol. There are also essential oils which are harmless but confuse ants so they can’t follow each other. That’s the way I would go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom