Help, 3.5 y/o veiled chameleon suddenly dying

mBuxx

Established Member
DBB91F4A-568D-44A8-AFF2-E03062169672.jpeg
9CD626BE-79CD-426D-8D01-B865FA12BFB2.jpeg
D2B95EEC-C66C-4B14-8206-3A222B092214.jpeg
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, 3.5 years. Had him since a baby, got him in the mail. They said he was 6 months, but I think he was more like 6 weeks.
  • Handling - at least once a week, sometimes twice. Often eats out of our hand though.
  • Feeding - most of his life he has eaten crickets, horn worms, and super worms. However as of late we have weened him off the super worms because it was like he was only eating them. Fed every other day, 10-12 crickets. Crickets are gut loaded with carrots, spinach and oranges.
  • Supplements - crickets are rusted with zoo med repti calcium (no d3) every feeding. Reptivite with d3 twice a month, then fluckers calcium with d3 twice a month. So calcium every feeding no d3, d3 dose 4 times a month and multivitamin twice a month.
  • Watering - Mist king set up for a 8 min mist at 830 am, then a 5 min watering every 1.5 hours:
  • Fecal Description - Never tested for Parasites, poop is dark brown with big white blob at end.
  • History - no health concerns until now, he did show up very premature and took a while to get eating but ended up growing like a son of a gun and things seemed fine for the past 3 years.
Lighting, his basking spot is approx 90 degrees, I have a dual hood fixture from LYR with a grow light and a 6% d3 Arcadia bulb that is replaced every Christmas and is also on a 12 hour timer.

So, about 4 days ago we noticed when we put crickets in his feeder cup he didn’t come over and snipe them up like he usually does. Up until now everything has seemed perfectly normal.

The next day, he still didn’t eat but was moving around very slow.

Same thing yesterday. Put our hand in there and he climbed out, still seemed plenty strong, good grip, moving about. Put him back in.

Today, I see him crawling down to the bottom of his cage: and I watch him, and he just lays over, lifeless. I thought he was dead. He’s not, but has next to no energy and barley moves.

I am not sure what to do. I called a nearby vet , won’t even see him. Nearest vet who will is over a 12 hour round trip away, and I just can’t make the trip right now for personal reasons. I will include some pictures .

You only knew need to give the PHOS free calcium/D3 powder twice a month...that might be part of the problem.

I'm not a vet...and can only give my best guesses at things based on my experience and that of others and what I've read/learned over the years. I can't see anything wrong with him.

When he walks now does he lift his body off the branch/surface he's walking on?

Last edited:
You only knew need to give the PHOS free calcium/D3 powder twice a month...that might be part of the problem.

I'm not a vet...and can only give my best gurpesses at things based on my experience and that of others and what I've read/learned over the years. I can't see anything wrong with him.

When he walks now does he lift his body off the branch/surface he's walking on?
No he is not. He does not walk since he went down to the bottom of his enclosure

If you put him on a branch/surface, I assume he rests on his belly on the branch or surface then?

Spinach is not a good gutload. I'd drop it and use collards, squash, sweet potato, kale, sweet red pepper, dandelion greens, zucchini, etc.

If you put him on a branch/surface, I assume he rests on his belly on the branch or surface then?
Yes he rests on his belly. It is like all of the sudden he has zero energy. I’ve done a lot of research on MBD, I do not know how we would have gotten to this point if that is it, and personally all of his limbs appear strong and healthy, he’s just very weak.

Yes he rests on his belly. It is like all of the sudden he has zero energy. I’ve done a lot of research on MBD, I do not know how we would have gotten to this point if that is it, and personally all of his limbs appear strong and healthy, he’s just very weak.
His limbs look good to me. His tail is a little thin...has a ridge in it.
I think I'd be more concerned about his kidneys...but like I said...I'm not a vet.

The basking temp of 90 degrees is too high. I’d get it down to 80-83. I don’t know what’s wrong either but lowering the temp might help.

Hi. @kinyonga has already addressed the two main things that jump out at me. The only other things that I could think to cause a problem would be parasites and possible respiratory infection. When you are able to leave your reservation and get to a vet, make sure to take a fresh fecal sample. Do you know what your humidity levels are during the day? You’re misting too frequently which could cause them to be overly high. Ideal daytime range is between 30-50%. High humidity combined with high temps greatly increase the risk for respiratory infection. Has your chameleon been making any noises when he breathes, stringy saliva, keeping his head up and/or gaping? Your guy really needs a vet ASAP. In the meantime, I wouldn’t worry too much about not eating as chams can go a while without. Stop giving the D3 and make the adjustments suggested until you can get to a vet.

Hi. @kinyonga has already addressed the two main things that jump out at me. The only other things that I could think to cause a problem would be parasites and possible respiratory infection. When you are able to leave your reservation and get to a vet, make sure to take a fresh fecal sample. Do you know what your humidity levels are during the day? You’re misting too frequently which could cause them to be overly high. Ideal daytime range is between 30-50%. High humidity combined with high temps greatly increase the risk for respiratory infection. Has your chameleon been making any noises when he breathes, stringy saliva, keeping his head up and/or gaping? Your guy really needs a vet ASAP. In the meantime, I wouldn’t worry too much about not eating as chams can go a while without. Stop giving the D3 and make the adjustments suggested until you can get to a vet.
We hear with electricity so it’s very dry in here, humidity was between 60-63.

I have not posted on here much today because he did not make it through the night…

Back
Top Bottom