HELP 1st ever reptile I don’t know what’s wrong with him.

Xcelution

So I got my Cham His name is Koma on Tuesday literally like 4 or 5 days ago (I did Loads of research on veiled chams before I got him)and he was fine and everything but earlier today I started to see him like open his mouth for 2 seconds he did this several times and a couple of times bubbles would come out and I’m really scared because I searched up the symptoms for respiratory infections and a couple of these symptoms look like what he’s been doing today and he also wouldn’t eat but at the same time I thought back on Friday and Saturday both those days I hand fed him a mealworm covered in multivitamin dust and put 2 baby crickets covered with calcium in his tank (they were alive) but he would never go to the bottoms of his cage to get them but right now when I cleaned his cage I checked and the crickets were no were to be found so I’m guessing he ate them. Someone help plz. ((btw I misted his terrarium and he went on a drinking frenzy earlier today that was the first time I actually saw him go for water on the leaves and branches and stuff it’s on 8 Horus intervals with 20 sec timer))

First of all, where did you get him from? Can you post a picture or video? Also, if you have crickets just disappear in a cage, then assume they escaped. If you cannot watch the chameleon actually eat, then you probably need a new feeding method. Especially when they are babies, they need to be monitored to be sure they are getting all the nutrition and hydration that they need.
You need to get him to an exotics veterinarian as soon as possible. It's not safe to play vet and try to diagnose the issue just by doing research. The forums can only go so far. Make sure the vet you go to is as exotics.

I’ve seen several forums were they ask the members to fill out that list so I’m going to post it right now

My chameleon: veiled, male idk ash but on certificate is says juvenile

Been in my care for a week.

Handling: I’m not even going to lie on Friday I tricked him with a branch that led out side and he fell for it but today and he was fine not aggressive or anything but today I kind of kept putting the branch under his leg till he eventually got on.

Feeding: on Friday I got mealworms so know it’s 1 mealworm and 2 crickets but before that is was like 3 adult crickets or 2 because sometimes he wouldn’t eat em for like the first 2 days he didn’t eat at all.

Supplements: Herptative Multivitamins, and repti calcium without d3.

Watering: I have a monsoon solo that mists him every 8 hours for 20 secs today’s the first day I saw him drink off leafs and stuff he went on a little drinking frenzy

Fecal description: at night he’s bright green like right now and during day he’s green with black zigzags right now his eyes look like they have bags.

Never been tested for parasites exactly why I’m posting this to see if I should take him to the vet at Persmart.

Btw I don’t have they dual thermometer that has humidity on it with degrees.

Ok... So about the mealworms, stop feeding those. That can cause impaction in your chameleon, you don't want that. 2. Where's your chameleon from? Never buy them from Petsmart, Petco, or any chains like that. Oftentimes those chams have alot of problems. I would consider buying a chameleon from someone who cares about them, and has a local reptile shop, rather than a chain store. Can you please post pictures, and where you got the Chameleon?

You need help with feeding, with watering, you said fecal description but you described his color, fecal description is describing his droppings.

You also need to get calcium with D3, stop giving him mealworms they are not very nutritious, substitute for super worms, small ones, I recommend a feeding cup so you can monitor the little guys food intake instead of guessing. You need to water him more then 20 seconds every 8 hours, Also he is new and he will take time to acclimate, so don’t mess with him to much he will get stressed. You need to know the humidity and the temp so you need gauges with both.

Do you have live plants in there? What size enclosure?

You need help my friend and that’s what we are here for so let me find that full sheet so you can fill it out to the best of your ability so we know what we’re dealing with. I know you did research but it sounds to me like you do not know what the little guy needs, but let me help and we’ll get you there.

First of all, where did you get him from? Can you post a picture or video? Also, if you have crickets just disappear in a cage, then assume they escaped. If you cannot watch the chameleon actually eat, then you probably need a new feeding method. Especially when they are babies, they need to be monitored to be sure they are getting all the nutrition and hydration that they need.
You need to get him to an exotics veterinarian as soon as possible. It's not safe to play vet and try to diagnose the issue just by doing research. The forums can only go so far. Make sure the vet you go to is as exotics.
Ok I will Set up appointment ASAP tmrw while I’m at school because they closed early today since it’s sunday btw these are pics of him sleeping the first one is of him the on Friday the second on is of him today

Attachments

• B88DDC8A-D1A8-4171-9637-823212092A5B.jpeg
    B88DDC8A-D1A8-4171-9637-823212092A5B.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 256
2nd sheet

Cage info: 16” x 16” x 30” reptibreeze open air black aluminum screen cage

Lighting: zoo med, tropical uvb and heat lighting kit bulbs are reptisun 5.0 13 watt and daylight blue 60 watt schedule is 6am to 6pm because I go to school at 6am

Temperature:lights on during day his basking spot is like 80 degrees Fahrenheit to 85 degrees Fahrenheit when off at 6pm it’s like 78 degrees Fahrenheit and at night it’s 75 degrees Fahrenheit. But since our weather is retarded sometimes it’s drop like crazy so I’ll turn the heater on just a little bit. Measure temps with digital thermometer.

Humidity: I don’t have dual gauges thermometer but I’m getting that tommorow before I go to work

plants: a fake little tree 2 fake vines expect 2 branches of just wood from outside and yes I did go through the process of baking them and all that stuff.

Cage Location: corner of my room no traffic at all

Current problem: I’m concerned about is him opening his mouth a lot is started today and like twice today some bubbles came out.

It’s not good if he’s sleeping during the day like that.
It’s 9 pm over here rn he never sleeps till like 6:30 sometimes mainly 6pm hell be asleep but since I have the windows blinds open sometimes the light shines through and hell sleep at like 6:30 but today he went to sleep as soon as I turned off his lights.

Ok I will Set up appointment ASAP tmrw while I’m at school because they closed early today since it’s sunday btw these are pics of him sleeping the first one is of him the on Friday the second on is of him today
Btw the in both pics are after 6pm he was asleep then but I turned on the light real quick in both pics to get a good pic of him

Lol i’m Located in Texas too, so same time zone.

But I say that because both pics his lights are on, yet he is sleeping?

Misting should be done currently every hour for 2 minutes with a long one in the middle of the day at 4 minutes, untile he is more hydrated then taper off to every 3 hours for 2 minutes and a middle of the day 3-4 minutes.

Please get soft bodied feeders, like hornworms or silkworms online so he can eat and increase his water intake at the same time. You need a Calcium with D3 supplement as well. Preferably schedule with the supplements you have is, calcium no D3 every feeding. Except calcium with D3 two days a month, heptivite two days a months, on these days do not worry about trying to get plain calcium into him.

Gutload your feeders with healthy greens (not spinach) and root veggies, squash, fruits. Your uvb needs to be changed to a linear type of 5.0.

Can I get a profile pic of your cage? How much foliage do you have in there? You need a lot of shade available so he can protect his eyes from UV rays and basking lights. If there were actual bubbles and he was popping or wheezing you have to take him into the vet for a check up

Ok... So about the mealworms, stop feeding those. That can cause impaction in your chameleon, you don't want that. 2. Where's your chameleon from? Never buy them from Petsmart, Petco, or any chains like that. Oftentimes those chams have alot of problems. I would consider buying a chameleon from someone who cares about them, and has a local reptile shop, rather than a chain store. Can you please post pictures, and where you got the Chameleon?
Got him At petsmart damnnn I played my self

Just because he’s from petsmart doesn’t mean he’s not gonna grow up to be a healthy Cham, it’s just they don’t care for them properly. But now you have him, so let’s get him to a healthy state! You’ve got it; just put in the effort to make sure this little creature stays alive and well.

Misting should be done currently every hour for 2 minutes with a long one in the middle of the day at 4 minutes, untile he is more hydrated then taper off to every 3 hours for 2 minutes and a middle of the day 3-4 minutes.

Please get soft bodied feeders, like hornworms or silkworms online so he can eat and increase his water intake at the same time. You need a Calcium with D3 supplement as well. Preferably schedule with the supplements you have is, calcium no D3 every feeding. Except calcium with D3 two days a month, heptivite two days a months, on these days do not worry about trying to get plain calcium into him.

Gutload your feeders with healthy greens (not spinach) and root veggies, squash, fruits. Your uvb needs to be changed to a linear type of 5.0.

Can I get a profile pic of your cage? How much foliage do you have in there? You need a lot of shade available so he can protect his eyes from UV rays and basking lights. If there were actual bubbles and he was popping or wheezing you have to take him into the vet for a check up
Will misting him every hour wake him up at night or does that not matter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 232
With dehydration and heavy drinking it can cause drooling in chameleons, it's just a sign he was thirsty and you need to take care of the water he needs. He's young enough that any damage from the pet store likely won't stick if you can reverse it. He doesn't look to have MBD, or a deficiency, even a mild URI isn't hard to treat usually.

Oh no never mist at night sweetie you are safe from worrying about over night.

For the picture you need some more leaves, go to Michaels craft store or something similar and buy a couple plastic plant chains. It's not my preferred way to provide coverage you will eventually need to get safe live plants as he grows older since adult veileds eat plants, but at his age he won't try to eat the fake, and it's a quick way to fill in gaps to protect him eyes until you can get some plants. The chains are massive and cost like 12 bucks. Two should cover you easily.

No, you need to mist him every hour that the lights are on. Put the mister on the timer with the lights. Don’t mist him while he’s asleep

Back
Top Bottom