HELP 1st ever reptile I don’t know what’s wrong with him.

With dehydration and heavy drinking it can cause drooling in chameleons, it's just a sign he was thirsty and you need to take care of the water he needs. He's young enough that any damage from the pet store likely won't stick if you can reverse it. He doesn't look to have MBD, or a deficiency, even a mild URI isn't hard to treat usually.

Oh no never mist at night sweetie you are safe from worrying about over night.

For the picture you need some more leaves, go to Michaels craft store or something similar and buy a couple plastic plant chains. It's not my preferred way to provide coverage you will eventually need to get safe live plants as he grows older since adult veileds eat plants, but at his age he won't try to eat the fake, and it's a quick way to fill in gaps to protect him eyes until you can get some plants. The chains are massive and cost like 12 bucks. Two should cover you easily.
Wait so do I take him to the vet or no? I don’t get it some dude earlier in the thread said to take him ASAP

Definitely take him in, you are a new keeper and learning the signs, safety is the best thing to practice. <3

I would set your mister to spray every couple of hours for a few minutes each time. I currently have mine set to spray every 2 hours for 3 minutes each time with the first misting of the day set to 7 minutes.
Also with feeding, feed him as much as he will eat in a few minutes. My veiled was eating close to 15 small crickets every day at that age.

I’ve seen several forums were they ask the members to fill out that list so I’m going to post it right now

My chameleon: veiled, male idk ash but on certificate is says juvenile

Been in my care for a week.

Handling: I’m not even going to lie on Friday I tricked him with a branch that led out side and he fell for it but today and he was fine not aggressive or anything but today I kind of kept putting the branch under his leg till he eventually got on.

Feeding: on Friday I got mealworms so know it’s 1 mealworm and 2 crickets but before that is was like 3 adult crickets or 2 because sometimes he wouldn’t eat em for like the first 2 days he didn’t eat at all.

Supplements: Herptative Multivitamins, and repti calcium without d3.

Watering: I have a monsoon solo that mists him every 8 hours for 20 secs today’s the first day I saw him drink off leafs and stuff he went on a little drinking frenzy

Fecal description: at night he’s bright green like right now and during day he’s green with black zigzags right now his eyes look like they have bags.

Never been tested for parasites exactly why I’m posting this to see if I should take him to the vet at Persmart.

Btw I don’t have they dual thermometer that has humidity on it with degrees.

Just to speak from personal experience with PetCo being the chain, they don't have the capacity/don't know enough about the exotics they carry.

My Jackson unfortunately is from there and was in all improper housing/lighting/feeding, as well as they gave incorrect advice in purchasing which I thankfully ignored and went with expierenced researchers instead.

What caught me was taking the lizard to their vet. I also thought, they say they provide any vet care the first 30 days....well, ours went BK twice and their vet sent him home both times healthy based off him eating/drinking/pooping. They watched him for less than 2 mins, and called it good.

They don't have exotic vets, and in the time you have him in their care, if there is an issue, he could be recovering with you vrs being in many ways neglected and potentially stressed to the gills by all the improper husbandry.

You may have very successful results still, and can have a healthy happy critter with the correct care now and you being able to overcome their shortcomings. I can't even begin to tell you how much this forum has helped to tweak, reform and adjust many aspects of this guy's life.

YOOO BOIZ UPDATE:
Went to the vet on tues she said that “SHES” fine I thought it was a he I played my self don’t matter tho im shall provide my daughter with the best I also need info the vet said that she probably won’t lay eggs till a year from now she’s no let pregnant but I heard females lay eggs even if there not pregnant so I have a question about that once she starts laying eggs do i just clean them up as if they were poop?

YOOO BOIZ UPDATE:
Went to the vet on tues she said that “SHES” fine I thought it was a he I played my self don’t matter tho im shall provide my daughter with the best I also need info the vet said that she probably won’t lay eggs till a year from now she’s no let pregnant but I heard females lay eggs even if there not pregnant so I have a question about that once she starts laying eggs do i just clean them up as if they were poop?
no, you'll need to do a lot of research on that. females will want less heat to reduce their batch size (large batches of eggs are hard on them) she will need a place to lay the eggs, they dont just drop em off and go. shell need a laying bin with damp soil so she can burrow and lay them. otherwise I've heard they won't lay and could cause serious complications I dont have a female and dont know all the specifics, but girls need a little extra love once they're mature. but it sounds like you have some time to read up on it.

no, you'll need to do a lot of research on that. females will want less heat to reduce their batch size (large batches of eggs are hard on them) she will need a place to lay the eggs, they dont just drop em off and go. shell need a laying bin with damp soil so she can burrow and lay them. otherwise I've heard they won't lay and could cause serious complications I dont have a female and dont know all the specifics, but girls need a little extra love once they're mature. but it sounds like you have some time to read up on it.
If possible can u link me a article or something or what should I look up so I can prepare when she Gets older

If possible can u link me a article or something or what should I look up so I can prepare when she Gets older
like I said, I'm not an expert on it, all i could do is a Google search and see what comes up. what I would suggest is posting a new thread asking for help with gravid female care... there are a lot of people here that would have more experience with it than me, they could not only refer you to good articles but answer questions you might have. but you're on the right track getting ahead of the game!

Guys btw the vets assistant tried to play me or I think she did because the vet showed me the products she uses for hers gutloading, and for her calcium and d3 in one product but I have that already then when she left the room her assistant came in and tried to convince me and said you should buy this product it has no d3 your not supposed to give your Cham d3 and I was like wth but I alr day have Calcium with no d3 and with d3 but just to be sure was she lying. I feed my Cham 2 d3 dusted crickets a month. Should I not feed her d3 calcium no more?

Please read the articles in the Resource section of this forum... Lots of info there. Here is a link about nutrition and includes info on supplementing D3. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Also, female veiled chameleons are able to develop and lay eggs at under a year old. Some keepers recommend having a laying bin set up around 6-8 months old.

That vet assistant sounds like he/she was just regurgitating info the read quickly on google.... Not very reassuring.

Proper supplementation should be as follows:
Daily- Calcium no D3
Twice per month- Calcium with D3. I dust D3 every other monday for example.
Twice per month- Multivitamin. I dust every monday that I am NOT using D3.
All feeders should be lightly dusted.

Can you post a photo of the heel of your chameleon back foot? With what you are saying the vet told you about supplements i am concerned they dont know how to properly sex a veiled chameleon.

definitely depends on a few factors, it naturally gets d3 through uvb light and natural sunlight if she gets outside time. the more of that she gets the less supplements she needs. but your regimen is closer to what most people tend to do. I'd say as a general practice people do calcium without d3 on a daily basis, calcium with d3 every other week and a multi vitamin every other week. personally I'm going with calcium without d3 every feeding, calcium plus (which has smaller amounts of d3 and some vitamins) once a week for 3 weeks, and multivitamins once a month. but I'm still fine tuning feeding myself, any other suggestions or opinions on repashy calcium plus as a supplement would be helpful too.

Back
Top Bottom