Helmeted Chameleon

So as said before it is just a quick set up. New cage, and lighting is ordered, fogger I am picking up tomorrow from a friend. I will say he or she is looking better today compaired to yesterday when it was given to me. I have watched it eat and drink. Looks like by Monday it will be well set up and looking good. Anyway here are the first pics

I love this - you are doing what you need to to give this cute cham a home and you got great advice from someone who knows the species pretty quickly.

FWIW I regret my initial post about AC and it was a reminder that I have a lot more to learn. ✌️

So as said before it is just a quick set up. New cage, and lighting is ordered, fogger I am picking up tomorrow from a friend. I will say he or she is looking better today compaired to yesterday when it was given to me. I have watched it eat and drink. Looks like by Monday it will be well set up and looking good. Anyway here are the first pics
show more pic but so far I think its a lady ;)

So! :) here few pictures of my teen Hoeh, born in a store and raised here!
first 2 pictures are the female and picture 3 is the male, the hemipenis at the base of the tail is really prohiminent so sexing hoeh is not difficult task :)
I also put few of my montain cages im about to add vegetation its work in progress (except for the big cage, this one its almost done. There is fog, lot of light, and a big metal halide uvb output. Lots of horizontals branches, no plastic, no perlite no cocofiber (all have % of risk), my enclosure are fully bioactive, (1/2 is glass enclosure with a screen enclosure at the top sticked with magnet) with draining layer at the bottom (10cm hygroball layer), dirt, moss, plants and bugs) and fans to push the air flow sticked with the fog for the cold night. healthy cham, good humidity, nice night drop, self cleaning and on the top of it.. its visually nice! :)
IMG-5709.JPG
IMG-5710.JPG
IMG-5711.JPG
IMG-5713.JPG
IMG-5705.JPG
IMG-5706.JPG
IMG-5707.JPG
IMG-5708.JPG
IMG-5715.JPG

I love this - you are doing what you need to to give this cute cham a home and you got great advice from someone who knows the species pretty quickly.

FWIW I regret my initial post about AC and it was a reminder that I have a lot more to learn. ✌
Yes, I am going to try and give it a forever home. People on the forum have been very helpful. I was concerned in the beginning. I take all advice with my own research and form a process so If someone says something that may not be something I agree with. I just say thank you because they are still trying to help. And that is all I am asking. So for everyone thank you very much. I think i have a good direction now. I just need to get there.

first 2 pictures are the female and picture 3 is the male, the hemipenis at the base of the tail is really prohiminent so sexing hoeh is not difficult task :)
I also put few of my montain cages im about to add vegetation its work in progress (except for the big cage, this one its almost done. There is fog, lot of light, and a big metal halide uvb output. Lots of horizontals branches, no plastic, no perlite no cocofiber (all have % of risk), my enclosure are fully bioactive, (1/2 is glass enclosure with a screen enclosure at the top sticked with magnet) with draining layer at the bottom (10cm hygroball layer), dirt, moss, plants and bugs) and fans to push the air flow sticked with the fog for the cold night. healthy cham, good humidity, nice night drop, self cleaning and on the top of it.. its visually nice! :)
View attachment 276984View attachment 276985View attachment 276986View attachment 276987View attachment 276988View attachment 276989View attachment 276990View attachment 276991View attachment 276992
Very nice set up. I love bioactive myself. I have two set up that way and working on converting more. We have a plant nursery down the street. We visit it alot. They where especially helpful with my tokay set ups.

View attachment 276984View attachment 276985View attachment 276986View attachment 276987View attachment 276988View attachment 276989View attachment 276990View attachment 276991View attachment 276992
Beautiful chams! I didn’t realize they were so petite. ?

I know this is a new set up, but maybe get rid of the bark thing at the bottom?

I know this is a new set up, but maybe get rid of the bark thing at the bottom?
The new fogger came in yesterday, the lights come in today, the new cage I am waiting on. Fan added, cooling system added, bark removed. New plants added. It was litterlay thrown in my lap. That cage was originally set up for tokays but never got used. The bark was to hold a small amount of humidity for tokays until i could get a better solution.

I guess there was no possibility of this chameleon seeing anything that could compact it in the wild?

Right now it has no su
I guess there was no possibility of this chameleon seeing anything that could compact it in the wild?
I see the same thing regarding sand boas, they absolutely run risk in the wild. It is just a matter of providing the best possible scenario we can. For example I use ground aspen instead of sand and they like it. Also if they eat it. It is digestible. Some people still use sand and it works but the risk is indeed there.

Also with that being said the statement he quoted said quick set up. Not new set up. And bark does have purpose. It holds humidity. Since I was leaving out of town for the weekend it needed something. I was not about to cancel my weekend over it, if it died it died. At least I can say I took some action with what I had available. Now I am back and things did not work out the way I expected but I am getting it to a good place one day at a time.

Also with that being said the statement he quoted said quick set up. Not new set up. And bark does have purpose. It holds humidity. Since I was leaving out of town for the weekend it needed something. I was not about to cancel my weekend over it, if it died it died. At least I can say I took some action with what I had available. Now I am back and things did not work out the way I expected but I am getting it to a good place one day at a time.

I know it was a quick set up on your part. However, if you were set up a bioactive enclosure there is going to be bare soil and leaf matter on the bottom causing for other things to be “harmful if ingested”. People commonly freak out when there’s substrate on the bottom of enclosures and they see it in pictures but again in the wild they’re going to see things that could impact them.

I personally wouldn’t use bark long term, but again this was something quick and isn’t going to be long term for this chameleon.

I know it was a quick set up on your part. However, if you were set up a bioactive enclosure there is going to be bare soil and leaf matter on the bottom causing for other things to be “harmful if ingested”. People commonly freak out when there’s substrate on the bottom of enclosures and they see it in pictures but again in the wild they’re going to see things that could impact them.

I personally wouldn’t use bark long term, but again this was something quick and isn’t going to be long term for this chameleon.
I agree, and I get your initial concern. I felt that was better than persay a box like they do over the weekend for reptile shows. Was it the best idea? No. But it was the best I had at the moment. I am still not quite there yet but I am working on it. I am not sure yet if I am going to go bioactive on it. I have done it in a few other encolsures and most of them work out quite well. I am not offended by you statement. I understand you trying to help. All help is appreciated.

I agree, and I get your initial concern. I felt that was better than persay a box like they do over the weekend for reptile shows. Was it the best idea? No. But it was the best I had at the moment. I am still not quite there yet but I am working on it. I am not sure yet if I am going to go bioactive on it. I have done it in a few other encolsures and most of them work out quite well. I am not offended by you statement. I understand you trying to help. All help is appreciated.

My concern was that people were going to give you a hard time for something that was (a) temporary and (b) not necessarily as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be.

I’m glad you’re working on getting a better set up. hoehnelii are some of my favorites

Back
Top Bottom