Helmeted Chameleon

CHIMP

Established Member
My neighbor came to me yesterday asking if I wanted to buy a helmeted chameleon. I told him let me get back to him on it. I did some research and decided I would not be able to give him the temp drop at night he needs and told him I am not interested and why. He explained today that this was the reason for wanting to sell it. He said he was sure he was going to kill it and that he would just give it to me. I explained it was not about the money and he said I would still have a better chance with him. So now I have a helmeted chameleon and want to know if there is anyone that can offer advice for dropping the temp in a controlled area. I thought about an a/c for the secondary room for him at night. Are there any better solutions?

Last edited:
For them I use bioactive fully planted half glass, half screen cages with a fogger with a fan pushing a medium air flow direct to the fog! that way the tiny fog droplet get chilled by the mouvement of the air and boom you can drop (around 5 to 8 Celsius down) its like magic ;)
good luck with them don't hesitate if you have question :)

Ps. Post pictures, if you have a female, she might be gravid.. If she's gravid be ready the don't lay eggs they give live birth

I do ice cubes or ice packs to get temp drops for my furcifer willsii that also need night time drop into the 40s. Lowest I can get the cage with this method is down to the 50s but the cages feel extremely cool. I also keep them right next to the window so I can open it at night to get the outdoor air to help cool the room down as well.

Thank you for all the responses. I think I have an idea as to what to do for a quick solution until I get back into town from the weekend. I have a desktop artic air i can put some ice packs in and run it at night. It will be coming with me but i need it to be somewhat portable.. I will get some pics today. Would love a true classification for its area. Just keep in mind this was a last min rescue last night. I have work to do and it is slightly dehydrated. This is also a species I have no experience with so all advice is appreciated. I have done alot of research in a sort period of time. But i still need to do alot of work myself if I am going to keep it alive. The set up it is in is only temp and will be changed as soon as I get back into town.

I think its @bobcochran that posts all the awesome looking pics of Helmeted Chams. Hoping he can give you some ideas as well. Good luck with your rescue.

If anyone can think of anything I may need for this little guy/girl. I am putting an order together. I am already thinking t-5 light, fogger, new cage, foliage. I have a mister that will work for now, I will post a pick of its set up now just keep in mind it was made from whatever I could find around the house as quick as possible. Please don't crucify me. I know it needs better.

For them I use bioactive fully planted half glass, half screen cages with a fogger with a fan pushing a medium air flow direct to the fog! that way the tiny fog droplet get chilled by the mouvement of the air and boom you can drop (around 5 to 8 Celsius down) its like magic ;)
good luck with them don't hesitate if you have question :)

Ps. Post pictures, if you have a female, she might be gravid.. If she's gravid be ready the don't lay eggs they give live birth
They guy that gave it to me got it from a reptile show. It is about 4-5 inches. I can not tell you if it is male or female. But future birth is a possibility. I am very familiar with vields and panthers although I know I am out of my league with this one. I will send pics tonight for everyone to assess and address. I do look forward to a new challenge though. I was just very ill prepared for this, and I know it.

I do not reccomend AC as it dries the air! Hoehnelii get most of their hydration at night through fog. I would use a fan and ice or cold pack. If you can get the temp down to the low 60s or high 50s, that'll be fine. Definitely get a fogger for nights. This species eats a lot for being so small. And I have yet to see an obese individual. They prefer smaller food prey. Medium crickets, smaller roaches and silk worms. They're not quite as active as pardalis or calyptratus but they do move around. A 36 in cage is sufficient for a single animal. Living at higher elevations (6,000 feet asl and up) they require a lot of uv. I can't help with uv lighting as I keep mine outdoors. Temperatures should be about 75F. daytime with plenty of opportunity to get out of the basking light (shade). I would separate the uv and basking lights on the top of the cage. If the hoehnelii needs more uv but not more heat it will be available this way.
If you have more questions just ask.

I do not reccomend AC as it dries the air! Hoehnelii get most of their hydration at night through fog. I would use a fan and ice or cold pack. If you can get the temp down to the low 60s or high 50s, that'll be fine. Definitely get a fogger for nights. This species eats a lot for being so small. And I have yet to see an obese individual. They prefer smaller food prey. Medium crickets, smaller roaches and silk worms. They're not quite as active as pardalis or calyptratus but they do move around. A 36 in cage is sufficient for a single animal. Living at higher elevations (6,000 feet asl and up) they require a lot of uv. I can't help with uv lighting as I keep mine outdoors. Temperatures should be about 75F. daytime with plenty of opportunity to get out of the basking light (shade). I would separate the uv and basking lights on the top of the cage. If the hoehnelii needs more uv but not more heat it will be available this way.
If you have more questions just ask.
I am not sure but you sound like the guy I listened to on a pod cast. I agree with the a/c thing. Plus a/c will cause issues with some of my other reptiles. Thank you so much for your input.

So as said before it is just a quick set up. New cage, and lighting is ordered, fogger I am picking up tomorrow from a friend. I will say he or she is looking better today compaired to yesterday when it was given to me. I have watched it eat and drink. Looks like by Monday it will be well set up and looking good. Anyway here are the first pics

Attachments

• 20200911_173149.jpg
    20200911_173149.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20200911_173047.jpg
    20200911_173047.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 149
So as said before it is just a quick set up. New cage, and lighting is ordered, fogger I am picking up tomorrow from a friend. I will say he or she is looking better today compaired to yesterday when it was given to me. I have watched it eat and drink. Looks like by Monday it will be well set up and looking good. Anyway here are the first pics
Whoa it's super cool looking! ?♥️

Back
Top Bottom