Hello to the Forum!

Charma

Hello all. I'm a newcomer, both to chameleon-owning and to the US. I am a Brit. who lived in Asia and Australia before moving here (to New Mexico) at the start of this year.
I've always loved chameleons, (I've seen them in the wild in Africa!) and owned several other reptiles but ever had the opportunity to have a chameleon up till now. You cannot buy them in pet shops anywhere in the UK, Asia or Australia.
Being in a dry climate here, I bought a baby 2-month-old (female I think) Veiled Chameleon last week, and she is settling in well, but I need all the help I can get to kep her happy. I've researched as much as possible, and hope I am doing the right things for her, but any tips would be appeciated!
I had a near-tragedy this morning, and thought I should let other cham. owners know in case they have the same potential threats in their habitats. I have an artificial fern in her cage, which had tiny plastic tendrils at the tips of some of the fronds. This morning, while Charma was hunting her breakfast crickets, shw caught her tongue in a plastic fern tendril! Thank god I was there to see it, and could quickly release her, however for about ten minutes I thought she had badly damaged her tongue as she could not get it back in her mouth.
Eventually, she managed to extend her tongue and re-align it to get in back in. She is now resting, and I hope does not go into shock. I think I'm in shock, though.
Just though other owners should be aware of the potential danger in plastic plants. I shall be moving her to a larger terrarium soon, where she can have live plants and a ficus tree.
Regards,
Jenny

Trauma recovery, handling question?

Thank you Mr. Chameleon Dude.
Little Charma has recovered from being 'tongue-tied' and had a couple of fat crickets in the afternoon as well as a big drink. Whew.
Just wondered about handling chameleons, as many books have conflicting opinions. Some say that chams. are 'look but don't touch' pets, that handling causes stress, and can lead to shock and death. Others say that chams. enjoy daily outings and some enjoy petting. Little Charma was handled daily in the pet shop before we bought her (taken out to be fed in a bucket), so whenever I open the lid she comes to the top and reaches out for me. I know it is just conditioning for food, not affection, but she is very relaxed when on the hand, and never puffs up, darkens or hisses.
What is the general opinion of the Forum on handling? Keep it to a minimum, or make it a daily occurence?
Thanks for your thoughts on this,
Jenny and little Charma

If she doesn't show classic signs of stressing/distress/anger when handled then very good!
My own chams were not handled exept when necessary when they were young. They rarely displayed stress/anger then, but I found as they matured, their innate insticts kicked in and they became the grumpy, sometimes aggressive beasts you've heard/read about. You may find she's perfectly happy being handled until one day she suddenly decides, "I don't think so!"
:)

On handling..

Thanks LunaC, on the handling tip. Little Charma is so sweet at the moment, I hope she doesn't grow up to be a grumpy-guts!
BTW, love your profile tail photo! We want to get a blue panther one day, when we consider ourselves advanced chameleon owners.
Cheers,
Jenny

Hey there. I am the girl with the really friendly peacock chameleon. For the most part chameleons like to be left alone. Consider yourself lucky. We basically got the 1 out of 500 thats friendly. I have been taking my guy out evry day to make sure he stays that way. I think the more you handle them, the easier it is to handle them. Good luck and welcome the forum.:D

Back
Top Bottom