Hello, I'm still relatively new here and have a few questions...

dshuld

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi, I've been reading the last 2/3 weeks trying to soak in some of the knowledge many of you have shared with others. I've always found chameleons interesting but have never ventured into this sub of the hobby before and want to try and get everything set up the right way before stressing any out with shipping. A little of the back story behind my decision to finally look seriously into this sub now..

My wife and I were in Pinellas County Reptiles a couple of weeks ago and "met" a lovely little male veiled. he had come off his perch to the door as we looked into the two previous homes before his. He supported himself and held on to the lower lip of the door as peaked out at us like a wide eyed kid at a counter about to get something they really wanted. Naturally we asked if we could hold him. We had both already an interest in him at this point but he was so calm and walked up both of our arms before settling down on my shoulder. We were both in love with the little guy at that point but since I've never kept chameleons before I had to be the voice reason even though I really wanted him too.

So, I told my wife I wanted to do some reading and research before we bought anything to make sure everything was a close to ideal as possible rather then trying to back track and set up properly after the fact, especially since we were/are still dealing with rebounding from Irma rolling through. I'm back to regular paychecks now and ready to start gathering the needed supplies so on to my few questions.

While realistically I doubt the male will still be there when I'm done gathering, I secretly hope he is. At the moment our two picks on what we would like to try and get into the chameleon hobby are either a veiled or a panther, specifically cap est locale. From everything I've read panthers and veiled are the recommended "starters" but thought I would get opinions on specifically these two.

As far as enclosure/s go I will be doing the jdog diy style. I would like to go either 3 or 4w x 2d x 4h, will this end up to big for a big baby/ small juvi though starting with that size enclosure starting their life with me? Would I need to either do false walls/ floor if I went that big until they got closer to adult size? My current plans are at some point wanting an unrelated pair of either so wanting to plan ahead on room for a lay box for the female too.

This leads me to my next question. I've decided to go with mist king over cli mist, mostly due to the timer tbh. I like the look of the timer with the mist king set up better. So I'm thinking, if that size enclosure isn't to big for the size chameleons I listed, having two dual mist heads per enclosure or doing a rain ring/ soaker hose type thing that I've seen in a few threads. With that in mind, would the starter kit be enough to run two enclosures that size plus have room to grow or should I just go with the ultimate and run a ball valve to relieve pressure back into the storage bucket if need be?

Sorry to have been so long winded but these were the major things left that I couldn't decide on what would be best to do with just starting in to chameleons. Thanks for any advise/ tips on my journey getting started with these beautiful little beings. I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting to ask but for now these are the ones on my mind.

Thanks

I do not have experience with the mistking ultimate, but I do have the mistking starter and know that they can go up to 10 enclosures. I also started with a 2 headed sprayer but found that it was way to much for the enclosure so I changed it into a single. Mistkings are super easy to add to or subtract from!!

Ok so the starter kit would probably be enough motor power wise. If I went with the 3' / 4' wide do you think I should do 2 singles in opposite corners sort of cross spraying the enclosure? Do you think I should start with a smaller enclosure(2x2x4 instead of 4x2x4) for a large baby/ small juvi and build a larger one down the road? If I go 2 x 2 x 4 I could use a quad sun blaze fixture that's doing nothing at the moment though I suppose(sorry bouncing ideas there lol). I'm going to try hibiscus, umbrellas and ficus depending on what I can find. As far as lighting goes I'll probably run ge starcoats for my plant bulbs (have been into planted tanks for the last few years and that's what I ran on my 75's).

So here's a rough sketch of what's in my head atm. Thinking 36x24x48 actually may work better for my needs if they won't be to big to start off with. There would be some room on the left of course not right against the wall and some kind of divider between the two enclosures to keep from direct viewing of each other all the time. My original thought was a 5.0 for uv but if I have a 4' high enclosure with another 6" between the enclosure and light body ( roughly 7 or 8" between bulb and enclosure) with a near mirror view reflector on the sun blaze, should I stick with the 5.0 or bump up to the 10.0?
View media item 46248

Cool thanks, I wasn't sure since I had seen a few mention they may have problems hunting in a larger cage. I need to see if I can find the post on distances for 10.0 t5ho bulbs again. I can run 1 to 4 bulbs in my sun blaze, how many standard bulbs would be recommended to run with the uvb? Would all 4 bulbs running (3 starcoat, 1 10.0) be to much for their eyes?

Ok so first I totally meant to say WELCOME to our wonderful community!! :D We are glad to have you!!

If you think your baby will have some problems in a larger cage you can always get a medium reptile breeze screen enclosure to start, and save the time to put into building the large adult enclosures. That is what I did. You may be able to find a used one on Craigslist and save some $ that way. You will be amazed at what uses you will find for the cage after the move! I am going to be using one to breed hornworms. I will say though that babies do alright in the wild, and it doesn't get bigger than that, so they should do alright in a larger cage.

Welcome, this forum is so great and there is a wealth of knowledge on here!!

I have both a panther and a veiled, both species are awesome!! Panthers tend to be more laid back and don't seem to be as "feisty" as veiled's, plus they come in a rainbow colors which is why I feel they are most popular. My veiled is the sweetest guy and really does not have a mean bone in his body, also in my opinion I find him having much more of a personality than my panther, my veiled is always moving about doing something funny. Though like any animal species it really does come down to personality, every chameleon is so different in what they like and dislike! As far as being easier than other species I would say yes but their care still needs to be pretty spot on. Jackson's are another popular species which I would say are not harder but have different requirements and are usually wild caught so acclimating is a process in it's own right. Either way going with a well reputable breeder is the best start you can get, pet stores unfortunately just don't know or care about their general care enough, I can't stress enough how starting with a healthy chameleon makes all the difference for success(y)

@Katacara Lol thanks for the welcome :D. I've been watching craiglist the last week or so for chameleon related stuff and curio cabinet/ china hutches too. Not much in the way of chameleon stuff in my area though that struck my fancy so far lol. That is a good point on them surviving the big green on their own in the wild :). I've been trying to find the thread on distances for t5ho bulbs again but so far unsuccessful relocating it. But since I'll be using my quad fixture and it crossed my mind, does anyone happen to know if uvb "adds" like par does? For instance, would I be better off running 2 5.0 and 2 starcoats vs 1 10.0 and 3 starcoats?

@ChamLB My main reason for looking at the cli mist was just trying to "keep the proceeds" in my state economy. Realistically though they spend their money in other states/ countries buying the parts anyway so I figure I'll keep it even more local to me and buy it from pcr but they carry mist king systems. So between that and liking the timer better of the mist king figure I'll just go that route.

Thanks for the help so far everyone though, I really appreciate it!

Right now our choice if we go veiled is going with FlChams pretty much. Shortest travel distance to me and from everything I've gathered a good person to deal with? When I grab the mist system I may see if the extra friendly male is still at pcr though. I'm talking with someone on the cap est currently to see if we can work a deal on an unrelated pair of them to be shipped when I'm done setting things up. We love the icy white/gray with redish bar and teal blue look they have but if that falls through we will probably be going through FLChams on a different locale I suppose. I have been watching the for sale here too since finding this site though. My wife and I both like the triceratops look of the jacksons though. I did watch jdog's video on how he keeps his jacksons to get an idea on how his were set up.

Well I do not know what kind of time frame you are looking at, but if you are thinking of a jackson there is a member here (@Chameleophlaged) who is captive breeding true jacksons from WC. I do not know where he is in the process though. If you want to go with a panther you cannot beat buying from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla ! And if a veiled is what you decide on @jannb is fantastic! I have no idea what the wait is though.

I would really think hard about buying from the pet shop! You would really be taking a chance, even if "he" looks alright now, he could still have major health problems such as malnutrition (because all they feed are mealworms, and non-gutloaded crickets), kidney failure from chronic dehydration or developing MBD from bad lighting. Also consider that the reason he came running out of his cage onto you and seemed so friendly is because I am sure he does not have a proper set-up, so he just really wanted to get out of there. Granted every cham's personality is different, and he might just be a really social, friendly cham, but that is likely not the case.

I really want you to have a great experience with your first cham!, and it is just SO incredibly important to start with one that is healthy!! If you have not yet read this thread give it a read (it is very long but it is a great example of why a healthy cham is so important) https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/preparing-for-my-first-chameleon-tips-appreciated.158458/

Yes, I read through every page of that thread. My first post on this site is in there towards the end, my second was the one you replied to . I get what you guys are saying about pet shops though. I will honestly say though, it's the only shop I've seen actually use misters. They had a "menu" of feeder bugs available too which surprised me to be honest because all the other places are supers and crickets only.

Does Matt or Jan have a formal site that I may have missed in my stroll through the interwebs or just listings here when they have availability? I'm not opposed to going through anyone here by any means if they are a respected member. I had seen both of them mentioned in the other thread but didn't see any listings so figured they didn't have any available. As far as time frame though, the next couple of weeks will be gathering/ setting up a home for them and around the 4 week or so mark start seriously looking at picking out the new addition/s.

I do not think they have web sights. you can always PM them and ask about availability. They are both super sweet! I just got my eggs today from Matt. He is great to work with! Will answer all your questions, and walk you through everything step by step.

Ok cool I'll keep that in mind then for when I'm ready to get them. How does the eggs through the mail work out? I hadn't really considered that as an option?

Yes, I read through every page of that thread. My first post on this site is in there towards the end, my second was the one you replied to . I get what you guys are saying about pet shops though. I will honestly say though, it's the only shop I've seen actually use misters. They had a "menu" of feeder bugs available too which surprised me to be honest because all the other places are supers and crickets only.

Does Matt or Jan have a formal site that I may have missed in my stroll through the interwebs or just listings here when they have availability? I'm not opposed to going through anyone here by any means if they are a respected member. I had seen both of them mentioned in the other thread but didn't see any listings so figured they didn't have any available. As far as time frame though, the next couple of weeks will be gathering/ setting up a home for them and around the 4 week or so mark start seriously looking at picking out the new addition/s.
Welcome @dshuld i also have one of @Matt Vanilla Gorilla baby nosy be’s . I really should not say baby septiseye is 13 month and weighs in at 166 grams but he is our youngest . We also have eggs coming . I’m not sure if you have made a decision . We as well have both panther and veiled . Matt is amazing he will go beyond what is ever expected to help you for life . He has amazing babies and he and his wife are wonderful honest keepers/breeders . I dont even want to put a name on them there far beyond breeders . Best of luck .

Thanks @Kristen Wilkins . Did you get septiseye as an egg or already hatched? I am curious as to the whole shipping the egg and keeping it viable through the shipping process?

Thanks @Kristen Wilkins . Did you get septiseye as an egg or already hatched? I am curious as to the whole shipping the egg and keeping it viable through the shipping process?
Septiseye came to us in February. He was 51/2 month . I Met Matt in nov and knew right away I would get a baby . He held septiseye for a very long time as we needed him to . This will be the first eggs we have gotten . Very exciting !!.

Back
Top Bottom