Hello, Im just making sure im starting off right

JustRick

Hello fellow chameleon lovers! My name is Rick i just recently perchased a veiled chameleon 6 days ago. From reseach on here i figure its a female because there are no spurs on the back of her rear feet. Use to be into iguanas as a kid but only messed with my friend's lizzards. I have a turle I had for about 30 yrs now but never had a chameleon. I spent quite some time reseaching on chameleon prior to getting one I just want to get you guys input on anything i need to change or add within my husbandry. Just trying to stay on top of things rather chase problems after its too late. This site has been really helpful to me and I really appreciate everyones post that i've read and learned from.

So heres my specs...

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - female veiled chameleon juvinal dont know exact age .
  • How long has it been in your care? 6 days now.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Haven't handled her yet because she's not ready to climb onto my fingers willingly.
  • Feeding. What are you feeding your cham? So far she only goes for the crickets (offered meal worms in a feeding bowl but she refuse to eat them, also I seen her nibble on the hibiscus plant once).
  • What amount? About 8 to 10 crickets a day.
  • What is the schedule? I throw them in there about a hr or 2 after lights on at 7am.
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flunkers orange cubes for now but i plan to switch to a more organic approch.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dust everyday with Repti Calcium without D3 and Zoo Meds Reptivite.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a dripper but she never use it so I just turn it on from time to time and let it drip for around 10 mins.
  • How often and how long to you mist? I hand mist cage (plant and vine) a few times a day and i mist her directly about twice aday.
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yea not often but from time to time i see her drink while the water is dripping off her.
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white urate attached she also poop around the same time every morning.
  • Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
  • History - None so sorry guys bought her from petsmart so i didnt ask to many question because wasn't sure if they really knew.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - It's a Zoo Med screen cage.
  • What are the dimensions? 16 x 16 x 30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Reptisun 5.0 uvb and Zoo Med daylight blue reptile bulb.
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am lights on 7pm light off
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Between 82 and 89 °F in basking spot. Lowest overnight temp? Between 68 and 74 °F in basking spot. How do you measure these temps? Thermometer is in her basking spot.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Im lacking a humidity reader at the moment, Im going to get on soon.
  • How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I read misting helps with humidity so thats why i do it plus for water to drink.
  • What do you use to measure humidity? Dont have anything yet but will soon.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. If so, what kind? Hibiscus in the cage and a pathos plant i wanted to put at the top but havent figured out a way yet so its just sitting on top for now.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Cage is currently in my living room. Ive been thinking of putting her in my empty 2nd bedroom.
  • Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No fans at the moment we turn it on when we mop sometimes to help the floor dry.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Just below counter hight sitting on a table near the window.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? High Desert California.
Current Problem - My husbandry lol im just trying to stay on top of things and prevent future problems.

I dont leave that water sitting there i just watered the plant and have to drain the run off plus I think my plant needs more light.

One more picture of her

Hello! Welcome to the forum and glad you found some information during your lurking to be helpful. I see you fell into the pit of the 'starter' kit by ZooMed. It's been a while since I've had a veiled so I'll let someone else respond on the cage size (will probably need to be bumped to a 24x24x48 later), but one thing you will need to do is ditch the ZooMed compact fluorescent bulb for UVB. Between the lack of coverage and the focusing of the light, you will find better health with a T5 fluorescent lighting unit with a 5.0 bulb or an Arcadia 6%. It's nice to see you added a plant, but I would definitely add some more vines so she has more to crawl through and maybe a taller plant if you can (or suspend the pothos you already have sitting above in the enclosure.) On a final note, I'd recommend ditching the reptile carpet, not only do they soil quickly but they are a bacteria sponge.

Hope someone else with more recent veiled info can come along to help you with specifics! Just throwing out the generic info that comes along with these kits needing changes. It's ok, I myself and others went through the same thing.

I have two female veileds and although still new to cham keeping, I can offer some critique and advisement.

Chameleon Info:
  • How long has it been in your care? 6 days now. Congrats! ;)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Haven't handled her yet because she's not ready to climb onto my fingers willingly.
  • Feeding. What are you feeding your cham? So far she only goes for the crickets (offered meal worms in a feeding bowl but she refuse to eat them, also I seen her nibble on the hibiscus plant once). Crickets are okay, but you’ll be wanting to add some more variety. Dubia roaches and silkworms are perhaps the best feeders. Try to avoid mealworms.
  • What amount? About 8 to 10 crickets a day. As she matures you’ll be wanting to cut back on her feedings to every other day.
  • What is the schedule? I throw them in there about a hr or 2 after lights on at 7am. Perfect! Gives her time to bask and digest thru the day.
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flunkers orange cubes for now but i plan to switch to a more organic approch. Is much better to use fresh organic fruits, vegetables and leafy things. Fluker’s is essentially not good for much. We all fell for it though.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dust everyday with Repti Calcium without D3 and Zoo Meds Reptivite. Make sure your calcium is phosphorus free as many feeders are high in phosphorus and it interferes with calcium absorption. The vitamin is to be used one feeding every other week, alternating with a phos free calcium with D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a dripper but she never use it so I just turn it on from time to time and let it drip for around 10 mins.
  • How often and how long to you mist? I hand mist cage (plant and vine) a few times a day and i mist her directly about twice aday. You want to be misting about 3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each time. Some chams don’t like to be sprayed directly so just watch her body language.
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yea not often but from time to time i see her drink while the water is dripping off her. They can be private about drinking at times. Her urate is the best way to measure hydration...it’s white so it’s all good.
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white urate attached she also poop around the same time every morning.
  • Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No This is something that is strongly recommended.
  • History - None so sorry guys bought her from petsmart so i didnt ask to many question because wasn't sure if they really knew. If your PetSmart is like mine, they probably knew nothing.
Cage Info:
  • What are the dimensions? 16 x 16 x 30 This is okay for now, but you’ll be wanting/needing to upgrade to a larger enclosure. I keep each of my girls in an XL Reptibreeze 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Reptisun 5.0 uvb and Zoo Med daylight blue reptile bulb. As you’ve already been advised, this current uvb is not adequate and you’ll be needing a linear T5 ho with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of the enclosure. Is probably best to get the one that will fit the larger enclosure size you’ll eventually be upgrading to.
  • What is your daily lighting schedule? 7am lights on 7pm light off Perfect!
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Between 82 and 89 °F in basking spot. Lowest overnight temp? Between 68 and 74 °F in basking spot. How do you measure these temps? Thermometer is in her basking spot. You might want to lower basking temp just a scootch to 85 and under. Otherwise is great.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Im lacking a humidity reader at the moment, Im going to get on soon. Ideal humidity level during the day is about 40% and it can/should be much higher at night. If you have a problem maintaining humidity you could wrap 2-3 sides of the enclosure with a shower curtain or similar.
  • How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I read misting helps with humidity so thats why i do it plus for water to drink.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. If so, what kind? Hibiscus in the cage and a pathos plant i wanted to put at the top but havent figured out a way yet so its just sitting on top for now. This is where you have to get creative. Lol I just elevated a plant on whatever I could find that fit. When you get a larger enclosure you may want to think about investing in some Dragonstrand ledges. Check out the sponsors to find. Veileds will nibble the leaves so make sure all plants are safe. The two you have are, as well as Dracaena, Scheffler and weeping fig (ficus benjamina).
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Cage is currently in my living room. Ive been thinking of putting her in my empty 2nd bedroom. Great idea! They get stressed by being looked at, seeing other pets and people traffic.
  • Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No fans at the moment we turn it on when we mop sometimes to help the floor dry.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Just below counter hight sitting on a table near the window. They prefer being able to look down at us...makes them feel safer.
Current Problem - My husbandry lol im just trying to stay on top of things and prevent future problems. Awesome! Welcome to the forum! (y):) Don’t hesitate to ask as many questions as you may need. As already said, you need many more branches and vines. They are the little highways your cham will travel.
One last but definitely not least item is having a female, you will be needing to prepare a lay bin and keep it as a permanent fixture of her enclosure. Just like chickens, she will lay infertile eggs every 3-4 months. :wideyed: Attaching a couple of care sheets and a pic showing the difference between the 16x16x30 enclosure vs the 2x2x4. Might as well attach pic to show how I set up one of my enclosures too. *note: do not buy the type of thermometer/hygrometer that is visible...it doesn’t work.
736220F3-95E0-4941-A1C4-20249D5CF647.jpeg 86C190E0-7552-4BCC-8349-60A1FFDEBD32.jpeg EA23088E-8BFB-4FA9-9407-91384EF170B1.jpeg 444AB9E4-92C6-4468-A927-E1CD380944CA.jpeg

Oops! Just noticed you have the green carpet. You’ll be wanting to take that out. As it gets wet and then sits with poo and stuff on it, it grows nasty bacteria. Is much healthier for your cham to keep the bottom bare.
And check this out...full of information.https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

Hello! Welcome to the forum and glad you found some information during your lurking to be helpful. I see you fell into the pit of the 'starter' kit by ZooMed. It's been a while since I've had a veiled so I'll let someone else respond on the cage size (will probably need to be bumped to a 24x24x48 later), but one thing you will need to do is ditch the ZooMed compact fluorescent bulb for UVB. Between the lack of coverage and the focusing of the light, you will find better health with a T5 fluorescent lighting unit with a 5.0 bulb or an Arcadia 6%. It's nice to see you added a plant, but I would definitely add some more vines so she has more to crawl through and maybe a taller plant if you can (or suspend the pothos you already have sitting above in the enclosure.) On a final note, I'd recommend ditching the reptile carpet, not only do they soil quickly but they are a bacteria sponge.

Hope someone else with more recent veiled info can come along to help you with specifics! Just throwing out the generic info that comes along with these kits needing changes. It's ok, I myself and others went through the same thing.

Thanks for your info ill be changing the light to a t5 i think i have one already. I kindve was at the store for dog food and the chameleons caught my eye so just grabbed the zoo med kit. Once I oopenedI thought oh boy this is a temporary starter kit. So i will be doing alot of upgrades soon.

As far as the carpet i vacuum it everyday and take it out for a rinse but I will remove it as everyone suggested. Can you give me your suggestions for the flooring?

Since you are a zoomed kinda person, might as well stick too it:

https://zoomed.com/reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood/

$60-70 gets you a hood and a 5.0/6% bulb. You can let it over hang till you move up to the big boy reptibreeze XL.
Im not a zoomed kinda person I just grabbed the kit I will be making changes. What lighting do you personally prefer? Any thoughts on L.E.D.? Not really thinking about L.E.D. just wondering?

Im not a zoomed kinda person I just grabbed the kit I will be making changes. What lighting do you personally prefer? Any thoughts on L.E.D.? Not really thinking about L.E.D. just wondering?

LED is wonderful to keep high light requirement plants alive. But zoomed and arcadia both make excellent T5 HO 5.0/6% bulbs. Odds are they are made side by side in the same factory in Germany.

I have two female veileds and although still new to cham keeping, I can offer some critique and advisement.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding. What are you feeding your cham? So far she only goes for the crickets (offered meal worms in a feeding bowl but she refuse to eat them, also I seen her nibble on the hibiscus plant once). Crickets are okay, but you’ll be wanting to add some more variety. Dubia roaches and silkworms are perhaps the best feeders. Try to avoid mealworms.
  • What amount? About 8 to 10 crickets a day. As she matures you’ll be wanting to cut back on her feedings to every other day.
  • What is the schedule? I throw them in there about a hr or 2 after lights on at 7am. Perfect! Gives her time to bask and digest thru the day.
  • How are you gut-loading your feeders? Flunkers orange cubes for now but i plan to switch to a more organic approch. Is much better to use fresh organic fruits, vegetables and leafy things. Fluker’s is essentially not good for much. We all fell for it though.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dust everyday with Repti Calcium without D3 and Zoo Meds Reptivite. Make sure your calcium is phosphorus free as many feeders are high in phosphorus and it interferes with calcium absorption. The vitamin is to be used one feeding every other week, alternating with a phos free calcium with D3.
  • How often and how long to you mist? I hand mist cage (plant and vine) a few times a day and i mist her directly about twice aday. You want to be misting about 3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each time. Some chams don’t like to be sprayed directly so just watch her body language.
  • Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yea not often but from time to time i see her drink while the water is dripping off her. They can be private about drinking at times. Her urate is the best way to measure hydration...it’s white so it’s all good.
  • Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No This is something that is strongly recommended.
  • History - None so sorry guys bought her from petsmart so i didnt ask to many question because wasn't sure if they really knew. If your PetSmart is like mine, they probably knew nothing.
Cage Info:
  • What are the dimensions? 16 x 16 x 30 This is okay for now, but you’ll be wanting/needing to upgrade to a larger enclosure. I keep each of my girls in an XL Reptibreeze 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Reptisun 5.0 uvb and Zoo Med daylight blue reptile bulb. As you’ve already been advised, this current uvb is not adequate and you’ll be needing a linear T5 ho with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of the enclosure. Is probably best to get the one that will fit the larger enclosure size you’ll eventually be upgrading to.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Between 82 and 89 °F in basking spot. Lowest overnight temp? Between 68 and 74 °F in basking spot. How do you measure these temps? Thermometer is in her basking spot. You might want to lower basking temp just a scootch to 85 and under. Otherwise is great.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Im lacking a humidity reader at the moment, Im going to get on soon. Ideal humidity level during the day is about 40% and it can/should be much higher at night. If you have a problem maintaining humidity you could wrap 2-3 sides of the enclosure with a shower curtain or similar.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. If so, what kind? Hibiscus in the cage and a pathos plant i wanted to put at the top but havent figured out a way yet so its just sitting on top for now. This is where you have to get creative. Lol I just elevated a plant on whatever I could find that fit. When you get a larger enclosure you may want to think about investing in some Dragonstrand ledges. Check out the sponsors to find. Veileds will nibble the leaves so make sure all plants are safe. The two you have are, as well as Dracaena, Scheffler and weeping fig (ficus benjamina).
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Cage is currently in my living room. Ive been thinking of putting her in my empty 2nd bedroom. Great idea! They get stressed by being looked at, seeing other pets and people traffic.
  • At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Just below counter hight sitting on a table near the window. They prefer being able to look down at us...makes them feel safer.
Current Problem - My husbandry lol im just trying to stay on top of things and prevent future problems. Awesome! Welcome to the forum! (y):) Don’t hesitate to ask as many questions as you may need. As already said, you need many more branches and vines. They are the little highways your cham will travel.
One last but definitely not least item is having a female, you will be needing to prepare a lay bin and keep it as a permanent fixture of her enclosure. Just like chickens, she will lay infertile eggs every 3-4 months. :wideyed: Attaching a couple of care sheets and a pic showing the difference between the 16x16x30 enclosure vs the 2x2x4. Might as well attach pic to show how I set up one of my enclosures too. *note: do not buy the type of thermometer/hygrometer that is visible...it doesn’t work.
View attachment 252777View attachment 252778 View attachment 252781View attachment 252782
I love the way you put your thought next to my answer I think that was really cool. I will be implementing a larger variety to her diet from insect, greens, and fruits. Mealworms will be replaced with other worms plus she wont eat them anyways I guess she knows best lol. Ive been using the dusters that came with the kit so far but those will be replaced soon also.

As far as the plants they are potted in organic soil. And ill look into the dragonstand legdes. Her cage will get moved so she can have her privacy as well as placed higher. Laybin is being reserched now so i will have one in time for her and ill swith the thermometer/ hydrometer too. Thanks I like your set up and thanks for the help.

There are two different methods of supplementation. I provided you with the standard, using the three different supplements. There is another much easier way with just one supplement at every feeding - Repashy calcium with Lo D. No other supplementation would be needed. I tried it but at the advice of my vet went back to the standard. Not sure it agrees with one of my girls.

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:
View attachment 252777View attachment 252778 View attachment 252781View attachment 252782
@MissSkittles,

This is an excellent post, and @JustRick you’ve been given great advice here. Congrats on your new Cham and welcome to the forum! Really nice effort here skittles!

There are two different methods of supplementation. I provided you with the standard, using the three different supplements. There is another much easier way with just one supplement at every feeding - Repashy calcium with Lo D. No other supplementation would be needed. I tried it but at the advice of my vet went back to the standard. Not sure it agrees with one of my girls.
I stick to the standard way for now and just keep reading up and following your notes. I really appreciate this help.

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:
Thats a really nice enclosure too!

Back
Top Bottom