Hello from Portugal

Esdrimacoy

Hi theres guys, I'm Filipe I'm from Portugal :D

I've discovered this forum on the web and I'm looking forward to post my doubts.

I've mounted a aquarium/terrarium with 30*30*30CM (27L) to put a pair of Leaf chameleons.

Equipements: Light Exo Terra Reptil Glo 25W UVB, Exo terra Expert heat cable 15W and to monitoring the temperatura and the humidity I've Trixie Reptiland Digital-Thermo/Hygrometer, and Exo Terra Fogger (Ultrasonic Fog Generator)

Live stuff: some plants that i've bought on the flower-shop.

I have some doubts about the temps that I have in there, If the heat cable is On i have 23.1ºC on the "ambient" but the subtract is marking 27 to 29ºC (measured with a saltwater thermometer), I'm having doubts about the roots of the plants, is it safe guys? OH and the humidity with lights on and heat on is about 89%.

At night i've experienced turn the heat cable off and this is the temp, 21.1ºC.

Are these temperatures of the ambient and of the substrate normal? What are your advices about this, keep the cablle always On?

I know that leaf chameleons tolerate temperatures about 20ºc to 24ºc.

Here is a picture of the terrarium,

IMG_20121109_125703.jpg

Best regards

I do not keep leaf chameleons so I'll let someone else give you advice on them, but welcome to the forum!

Welcome to our lil community! I hope that you'll enjoy your stay! :) Good luck with the leaf chams!

Hi there, Your viv looks great and a few pyg's would be in heaven in there.

A few things i would personally change with your set up.

Heat: i dont have any experience with a heat cable buried in the substrate but i think it is a good idea as long as it is performing correctly. I would try to keep temps between 70-80*f Your plants roots should be fine with these temps.

Humidity: I dont personally keep mine with super high humidity like for dart frogs. I would recommend trying more screen on top keeping the levels fluctuating between 60-80. I would be scared to keep it at 90 in a aquarium with no air flow.

Hey!!
The temperature in the "atmosphere" goes from 21ºC to 24ºC (69.8F - 75.2F).

The only thing that concerns me is the temperature of the subtract that some times is 27ºC to 30ºC (80.6F - 86F), I worried about the roots...

what do you think guys 12hours with lamp on and heat on then the other 12hours light off and heat off?

My digital thermometer and Hygrometer save Min and Max, so since I don't have the chameleons yet, this night (in portugal now is night :p) I'll teste the heat off to see what is the minimum temperature at night :)

Id turn the lights and heat off at the same time.

That's what i'm going to do, at this precise moment the lights went off so the heat cable, I'm gonna to reset the memory of the digital Thermo and Hygrom to see tomorrow morning what was the low and high temperature :)

Ataraxia do you have pictures of your pygmy chameleons ?

Guys I'm having some problems... with the lid/top my humidity is 88-96% wich is a lot for these guys... when the light is on wich is from 11:00 to 21:00 I'm running a PC fan that makes humidity to 72 - 76% but i'm concerned about drying the leafs etc etc... advices please

Today I'll experient this, the Heat cabble will turn on only 2 hours by cycles like this:

ON from 01:00 to 03:00
ON from 05:00 to 07:00
ON from 09:00 to 11:00
ON from 13:00 to 15:00
ON from 17:00 to 19:00
ON from 21:00 to 23:00

Running the Fan in this timelines too...

What do you think about it?

Answer to first question: Instead of using plexiglass or glass now on top of the tank. Open it up with screen from corner to corner. I personally would not use a computer fan unless it is to draw air from the tank but if you screen the top. There is no need for a fan..

Second question: Most reptiles benefit from a night time drop in temps. I would only run the heat cable 10-12 hours a day or while the lights are on. So no heat at night unless your night time temps fall below 50*

Answer to first question: Instead of using plexiglass or glass now on top of the tank. Open it up with screen from corner to corner. I personally would not use a computer fan unless it is to draw air from the tank but if you screen the top. There is no need for a fan..

Second question: Most reptiles benefit from a night time drop in temps. I would only run the heat cable 10-12 hours a day or while the lights are on. So no heat at night unless your night time temps fall below 50*

From screen on top you refer this: http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2670_Screen_Cover_Packaging.jpg

right?

The minimum temperature that I registered on the vivarium was 71F in that period of 12Hours with no light or Heat...

Yes, like the link. Screen the top. Note: If needed. You can then add a piece of plexiglass to cover a portion if you need to keep humidity.

71* is fine for night time.

Yes, like the link. Screen the top. Note: If needed. You can then add a piece of plexiglass to cover a portion if you need to keep humidity.

71* is fine for night time.

And that screen let the Light pass to vivarium? because my lamp is outside the viv...

Another question my little sister enter the room and said "the chams lights are still on?" and this is grinding my head... I have light and heat from 12:00 to 24:00 should adapt the photoperiod to "normal" one?

By the way! Awesome chameleons :D i'm looking for some information without boring you with my questions :) i've read that they reproduce when they want to so lets hope mine do that :D

Thank you :)

Your not boring me with the questions ;) Everyone starts somewhere. I personally admire your quest of perfection.

Back
Top Bottom