Hello All

Glass enclosures can definatley work, I have kept mine in glass for over two years now with no problems. Make sure you keep it very clean and airflow is a must as was sugested above a very small fan works good. I use a little 1" dc fan atached on the outside of a vent hole. You might be able to find somthin like that at an electronics or computer store. and set it on a timer to run at very short intervals 1min evry hour to much draft is not good either. Just make sure those vents arnt obstructed and will allow good air exchange. Or stagnant air will cause infections in the chams lungs. Do a search on URI

Looking Down Canopy Area.. Heat Lamp in top left of pic.

DSC00129.jpg

Area he spends most time in With the Dripper comming into Viv.

DSC00138.jpg

And his Basking Area.

DSC00136.jpg

You will need to remove the sealed top and replace with screen it will not vent with it that enclosed. and then you can put your lights where they are definetly out of harms way.
at least if i am seeing that right.

looks pretty bad ass to me man. I like it :D. Lot's of people in europe use glass terrariums and even put bedding material down. However, ventilation is something you don't want to mess with as everyone has said. Screen door on the front? That would be an easy fix. Seriously though, great job with the enclosure.
Something I notice about most chameleon keepers, I think we were zoo keepers in other lives. Most everybody really goes above and beyond to make the living conditions as nice as possible for these little guys. People converting rooms and spending $1,000's...and we are all satisfied with just obtaining good health for them.
I'm rambling, but this is a cool setup man, just a few tweeks needed!
Here's mine:
IMG_2043-1.jpg

nice set up Pba :)

people keep saying about the wooden glass Vivs an that there not any good... but from what im aware thats all thats really used in the uk due too our climate.

You are right...

You are right....people in the UK and Canada use glass vivs and make them work. Those are the people I'd like to comment here on your heat situation. My main concern is your heat dome inside the cage. There is a super high risk that you cham will be able to access it at some point and get a severe burn. Is there any way you can use some sort of electric saw, cut the solid top off, and install a screen? You could then set the light tube and heat dome thing on top. Your cham would be safe. It would provide a bit more ventilation. The glass everywhere else will maintain your heat and humidity. You can't underestimate the ability of a cham to get burned. Burns are very hard to recover from. Otherwise, things are looking good. Good job on getting the plants. He will enjoy climbing and drinking from the leaves.

hrmm the heat lamp is a good 1.5 Feet away from anything he has access too.. may look closer in the pic? as for the ventilation going too purchase a couple of small fans to put on the bottom vents blowing in... so i can put these on in the morning too circulate a bit of air as it should circulate from the bottom 2 vents blowing up and out the top 3?

As people have said, glass and wood does work, but you need to compensate for the fact that you'll have very little air movement, so the quality of air in your viv will be poor for a cham and you increase the chance of a R.I.

Save the money from the fans and go buy yourself some mesh for the top. I'm assuming you're in the UK as someone mentioned it somewhere, so go to homebase or something and by some metal mesh (you don't need a lot, just one panel if you don't want to buy a roll should be enough) it'll be like £8. Cut out a hole in the top and secure the mesh over the hole (obviously cut the hole a little smaller than your mesh sheet otherwise you're in trouble). That should sort the ventilation problem, then you can move the lights out on top to give your guy more space and make sure there is no chance of him getting burned (It does look unlikely currently) but I'm never a fan of chams being able to touch their UV tubes either!

All in all its a nice looking viv that'll be great with a few more adjustments!

Agree....

I agree with above post. It is true that your boy may not be able to reach the heat source now. But he is going to grow. Adult male Veileds are large and can stretch and use their tails as leverage. At some point he will be able to reach that heat dome easily. Why not work on eliminating the eventual problem now and make the air circulation better in the process? You will also end up with more useable space for him when he is bigger. By having the heat and light fixture inside the cage and having to arrange things far enough away to prevent him from touching them, you are cutting down his space to roam and get exercise in. Not a problem now, but again, it will be when he becomes a big adult.

Back
Top Bottom