Heating

chamlove

I have a general question about heating, typically in a 70F room what kind of wattage bulb should be used for a 24"x24"x48" or 30"x30"x18" for a panther chameleon.

Thanks

Depends on the species and age: montanes need a 45 watt, panthers around 60 to 75 watt and veileds need a 75 watt. Those are rough estimates that work for me. Of course about 10 or 15 watts lower for younger (3 to 6 month olds).

Chris

i'm not sure how hot sunnyvale is.
But, here in LA county, I never felt the need to use any heat bulb higher than 75 watt during the coldest winter. I usually use 50 watt heat bulb to achieve the suggested basking temp for panther during all other seasons.

Use the wattage that will give you the appropriate basking temperature where the chameleon sits to bask and make sure that your chameleon can't get close enough to burn itself,

Use the wattage that will give you the appropriate basking temperature where the chameleon sits to bask and make sure that your chameleon can't get close enough to burn itself,

I like this answer.

It also has to do with the type of lamp. I use a 50w spot lamp from Zoo Med. This is a more focused beam of light that can create some good heat at the focal point of the lamps beam. If you use a flood your about the mid point. When I use a flood I use 60w. If you use a household lamp like a clear 'bulb' type... you might want a higher wattage because the light isn't as focused.

SO..... measure to be sure you have the right heat for the species and age of the cham... but as a rough guide and to get started...

For an adult panther or veiled I have found these to work well:

Spot lamp: 50w
Flood: 60w
Household lamp (bulb): 75

Also be careful when changing lamps.... My veiled Jake was basking a lot... so I thought he wasn't warm enough... So I stepped up the wattage to the next available level, 75w. The next day I noticed his back was discolored. He had gotten a pretty bad burn.....:eek: He is fine now, and has healed well, But he now has a scar for life.:(

A regular household tungsten incandescent bulb for heat works perfectly well, is not expensive and comes in a wide range of wattages. For under twenty bucks you can buy three or more wattages, then test which one provids the best basking temp (can also adjust how far from the cage to adjust heat).

Back
Top Bottom