heating mister reservoir?

apondozzi

hey i currently am running a mist king set up on my viv and temps are dropping since it's starting to get a little cooler here in florida, room temps havn't been below the mid to low 60's so far, but i was wondering if anyone has ever used an aquarium heater to try and get the misting water temp up to a comfortable level for a cham during the winter months. i've heard that they prefer warmer water when misting anyway, didn't know if a heater rated for 3 gallons or so would work in a five gallon bucket. not sure if it would be too hot for the plastic or if there's an easier way to heat the water slightly, possibly in-line. the daytime ambient temps havn't gone below the mid to low 60's, but i know that the room temp water (around the same temps) would make my cham colder...i also have a 75 watt basking bulb set up three or so inches above the basking site, so i know if he wanted to warm up to around 80-85 degrees he could, but havn't witnessed any more basking than normal. i did put a blanket on one side of the enclosure (screen of course) and i know it will progressively get colder into january, february (by that time i'm sure we'll be using the heater, which will cause problems for me keeping the humidity up) and was wondering if it's something i should worry about. last night was the first night temps have really dropped and he was somewhat oversleeping today, don't know if he's just getting used to it or what, normally he's up early. if anyone has any insight with this issue it'd be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom