Heating/humidity juvenile panther

Yup, that's a yawn. Both my lizards do it, particularly in the morning (but can be any time).

Here's a vid (not mine):

Ohh okay that’s exactly what he looks like! He does it 1-2 times a day I thought it was something I was doing wrong. So when they are gaping is it for longer periods of time or when they are defensive?

Ohh okay that’s exactly what he looks like! He does it 1-2 times a day I thought it was something I was doing wrong. So when they are gaping is it for longer periods of time or when they are defensive?
BINGO!

Not a bad idea to learn their behaviors and what they mean. Here's one on defensive behaviors:

Not the best example of gaping (due to the angle), but the only one I could find on short notice.
(Actually, the title picture is a better example.)

BINGO!

Not a bad idea to learn their behaviors and what they mean. Here's one on defensive behaviors:

Not the best example of gaping (due to the angle), but the only one I could find on short notice.
(Actually, the title picture is a better example.)

Yes I watched this earlier today too haha. I have been trying my best to learn their normal behaviors and look at stuff comparing normal vs sick/abnormal but it is hard to tell until I see it first hand. Also when I read about it in just text it’s hard for me to visualize so I try to look for photos and video like the ones you sent me, but I hadn’t seen any showing actual yawning till you showed me. I’m starting to figure out his routine and his personality as I go but he is my first chameleon so I have no past behaviors to compare to. :) Thank you so much for your help! Should I keep his wellness visit anyway or will this stress him unnecessarily?

Should I keep his wellness visit anyway or will this stress him unnecessarily?
Personally, I don't consider veterinary visits to be unnecessary stress.
If you have any other health concerns, a wellness visit should either find them or put them to rest.

Is it a herp vet? If not, you can find one near you here: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

If you decide to proceed, I'd take along a copy of the filled out health questionnaire, along with pics of your enclosure from top (lights) to bottom (substrate/drainage). These will help the vet assess things, especially if veterinary practices are still shut down and you have to wait in the car.

A vet visit shouldn't be overly stressful if the vet is familiar with chameleons. So make sure that they are familiar with chameleons. Otherwise, they can do more harm than good. Have them ask you for permission before injecting him with anything. Sometimes they will give a multivitamin injection shot which can do more harm than good. I doubt that they would do this for a wellness check, but still something to be aware of.

So yes, visiting a vet familiar with chameleons should not be viewed as unnecessarily stressful, especially if you are not familiar with chameleon health signs yourself. Just make sure that they are familiar with chams. Otherwise, they might miss something that should be caught early or cause more damage.

Personally, I don't consider veterinary visits to be unnecessary stress.
If you have any other health concerns, a wellness visit should either find them or put them to rest.

Is it a herp vet? If not, you can find one near you here: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

If you decide to proceed, I'd take along a copy of the filled out health questionnaire, along with pics of your enclosure from top (lights) to bottom (substrate/drainage). These will help the vet assess things, especially if veterinary practices are still shut down and you have to wait in the car.
I booked with an exotics vet and they said they treat several chameleons there. The link you provided referred me to the same place I scheduled the appointment at! They are still doing covid guidelines where I wait in the car so I did take photos and will be filling out the form. Will be going this Friday. Thank you!

A vet visit shouldn't be overly stressful if the vet is familiar with chameleons. So make sure that they are familiar with chameleons. Otherwise, they can do more harm than good. Have them ask you for permission before injecting him with anything. Sometimes they will give a multivitamin injection shot which can do more harm than good. I doubt that they would do this for a wellness check, but still something to be aware of.

So yes, visiting a vet familiar with chameleons should not be viewed as unnecessarily stressful, especially if you are not familiar with chameleon health signs yourself. Just make sure that they are familiar with chams. Otherwise, they might miss something that should be caught early or cause more damage.
Thank you! He went today for his checkup and everything was great. He said he gets a lot of chameleons and he seemed surprised I was actually doing everything right with my husbandry and care. A little sad because I got the feeling he’s more used to correcting improper care. At the end of the visit he said I was a really good owner which I was glad to hear as a first timer! 😊 He seemed pretty knowledgeable on chameleon care since everything he was saying matched what I’ve seen on this forum and other resources. He also gave me a care sheet which was very accurate to others I’ve gotten here and from my breeder, so I feel confident he knows his stuff. Also showed him videos of behaviors I had questions about and he explained what they meant and that they were normal.

Back
Top Bottom