heating a flexarium/ openair vivarium/ mesh vivarium ect

EmilyChameleon

Hey again guys, I'm back again.
Sadly my last flapneck chameleon died from kidney failure :( due to the vets prescription of baytril was too strong, and he lost his little fight for life 2 months ago this sunday.

I thought it was time to move on and adopted a new little Yemen chameleon on Monday.

I still have an open-air vivarium and would like to use it in the future for my chameleon.

Its the Large one so i think its 50x50x100 cm.
I have never understood how to heat it, i had a big 47 inch heat strip to try and heat it but it never heated up much?

Also tried using a heat bulb and heat matt and that still didnt heat up to anymore than 20 degrees oC.

Can anybody show me their set up of heat inside and what products they use to heat it.

Thanks in advance + sorry for the sob story at the beggining - just thought i'd let you know as you lot helped me a bunch when she was ill.

never a sob story, i am sorry for you loss.

basically you only need to create a basking site ( a small area of heat from the light )
by placing a dome light with a standard buld of correct wattage ( i usually start at 60w and make temp measurments to confirm the temp and up the bulb wattage untill i can get the desired temp) about 85 - 90 at the hottest for a adult veiled
the rest of the cage can be left at room temp and the cham can move to thermoregulate themselves.

hope that helps.

if you are in a cold area you may need to use a higher wattage bulb or a tight beam buld available at most pet stores

hoj

Back
Top Bottom