Heat from an LED

fuzzhc

A while back I found a spare 7.5w par16 GU10 LED bulb lying around the house so thought I'd use it for a little extra light above my males enclosure. I've noticed him basking under it quite frequently so used my temp gun to take some measurements. I've found that from around 8" away from it he is basking in the high 80s. I wasn't aware that any leds gave out much heat? Anyways just thought I'd share cause it's quite cool. I may get a few more for multiple basking spots on my other enclosures.

DSC_0017.jpg

You must have it in a reflector. Typically very little heat is transferred to the actual light source and diverted to a heat sink, in your bulb it is around the base. So the heat is coming off the heatsink and pushed out through the reflector. I am not sure if this is a good thing, because LED's do very poorly if not allowed to cool properly and/or divert the heat away. The reflector might shorten the life of the bulb if it is heating the actual LEDs above normal temps.

Nice what temps do you get from them?

It's just in a standard fitting for that kind of bulb, it's lasted a few months so far.

DSC_0025.jpg

Back
Top Bottom