Heard a rumor

yes regular cfls are fine and so are the uvb ones. they produce almost zero heat.

There was a Problem with cfl UVB bulbs that was causing blindness and Supposively they fixed the Problem but I wouldn't chance it. Maybe you should look at the thread about giving false info before posting.

Well i am not providing false info reptiglo cfl bulbs do not and NEVER have cause eye problems the key to avoiding eye probs is to always buy new bulbs don't buy old or used ones.Saying that the new ones cause eye problems currently is false info.

Chamifornia, if you want to be ultra safe and not use a product that has had a history of problems, even though their product is now testing fine, that's your business. However, to suggest that bigben is posting false information is incorrect.

I love how companies claim CFLs save energy. In reality, the fossil fuels and materials that are used to produce them cost more money and energy then households. This is a shame.

Chamifornia, if you want to be ultra safe and not use a product that has had a history of problems, even though their product is now testing fine, that's your business. However, to suggest that bigben is posting false information is incorrect.

Thank you.

I think I am going to take a closer look at home depot the next time Im in there and look for that plant "bulb" someone mentioned earlier and see if that is a viable alternative. It sounds like it may be better if it also helps the plants out

It absolutely works! I have a DIY enclosure for my female and I made three holes for lights; uvb, heat and plant. After feeling the heat from the plant bulb thought, I scrapped the third light idea... too bad they are not as cheap as regular bulbs.

Oh, and they do work. I have a Pothos in both my Veiled cages, and the plant bulb cage grows much faster!

I would personally be glad that they are phasing out the bulbs, I am all for anything that helps the environment, even if it is at an extra financial cost. However, has anyone else noticed that these new bulbs that are supposed to last like A LOT longer than the normal bulbs, don't actually last that much longer? Heck, I would even bet that on a light that is turned on and off often, the old bulbs last longer!

... before someone points it out, yes I am a hypocrite, because I obviously don't drive a Prius ;)

EDIT: I have the coils for both of my Veileds' UVB lights, and neither has shown any eye problems.

I don't understand how this ban is even possible in a free country. I'll be quitting chameleons if this really happens. Not joking at all.

Why would they get rid of traditional lightbulbs? I hate CFL's, they provide NO light compared to normal bulbs, and I cannot get solid temps.

So this is a California only thing, or nationwide?

Since CFL's do not produce nearly as much heat, are we stuck using expensive "reptile lightbulbs" as heaters?

Snopes has a small article about CFL's: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

I love how companies claim CFLs save energy. In reality, the fossil fuels and materials that are used to produce them cost more money and energy then households. This is a shame.

Full costs to manufacture, operate and safely dispose of a CFL have never been disclosed to the public, but the dangers are clear.

An International Association for Energy-Efficient Lighting (IAEEL) study conducted in Denmark, explored some carbon footprint factors, but not all, showing it took 1.8 Kwh of electricity to assemble a CFL compared to 0.11 Kwh to assemble an incandescent bulb. That means it took 16 times more energy to produce a CFL. The study did not include the fact that a CFL is much heavier and is more dangerous to handle, and will thus cost more to package, to ship, and to sell.

Plus, since they emit no heat, it will cause home heating costs to rise. Sure a single bulb in a room does not emit much heat, but when you take into account the millions upon millions of people using incandescent bulbs, it adds up.

People without electric furnaces will be forced to emit MORE pollution than before.

any cfl is good for plants especially the uvb ones.

I think so too!

And you will still be able to get screw in bulbs for heat. They just will not be readily available at your local wallymart.

CFLs do give off a little heat. But is does not project like heat from light bulb with a filament in it.

Using full spectrum daylight CFL in conjunction with a UV B flo. bulb and say a color corrected halogen spot for heat works good for all kinds of herps. :)

BTW - I am experimenting with LEDs now too. :p
They are the wave of the future.... not for heat specifically.... but lighting in general.
very very soon.:D

Cheers.

Using full spectrum daylight CFL in conjunction with a UV B flo. bulb and say a color corrected halogen spot for heat works good for all kinds of herps. :)

I've used halogen spotlights (outdoor types for porches etc) as basking bulbs on my cham cages, bird aviaries, etc. for years. Just adjust the distance from the top of the cage as you usually would. They last a long time too.

Well because I've seen it happen with my own eyes and because I'm sure there are stores still selling the f'ed up bulbs I think saying ALL cfls are fine is false info.

Maybe you should just stop. Saying this is giving people false info. If the bulbs are used correctly they do not have any affects the bulb cannot be directly on the cage it has to be a certain dist5ance away depending on your cage mine in 2.5 feet away.

Btw I wasn't trying to be an a hole if it came off that way I wrote that while I was buzzed and it was very sad to see little ones go blind from a friends batch.

I've used halogen spotlights (outdoor types for porches etc) as basking bulbs on my cham cages, bird aviaries, etc. for years. Just adjust the distance from the top of the cage as you usually would. They last a long time too.

This is what I use too and they work beautifully! If you add an angle to them its more like the sun, my chams bask standing not flat like a pancake lol

Back
Top Bottom