health improving, but how long to fatten-up skinny legs?

donnak0125

I'd written here before about the poor health & illness of my new adult male veiled cham "Romeo". He's had some health issues for which I took him to the vet for a emergency visit/check-up 4 days after I got him. He's finally healthy and normal now. I've only had him a month and have watched and nursed him carefully to regain his health. I was wondering how long it might take to fatten him up?
I was not able to find out his age, but his cask is tall and hard and I was told he had mated with a female before. He looks much skinnier (esp. his legs), than the other males I have seen posted and his legs are skinnier than the female cham I use to have. His legs are very long and skinny (the vet didn't say anything about his skinny legs).
He eats very well now that he is healthy, but I don't know if he is going to gain weight and thicken those thighs or not. I weigh him regularly and because he was dehydrated when I got him plus ill he of course weighs much more now. He seems to be staying at the same weight +/- two or three grams but not getting more plump. Is it possible that he is normal and just slim by nature/genetics, or does it take a while to fatten one up (his crickets get proper gut load mixture, a recipe I got here on forums, plus cham gets all the vitamin recommendations suggested by senior members here)? Now that he's healthy he can eat a lot; I started feeding him 10 to 15 crix a day in last 10 days or so, a slow increase as his appetite got better. What do you all think?

pssh

Avid Member
Need pics.

His legs SHOULD NOT be fat. You do not want his legs to be too thick.

Amanda1801

I had the same problem with my cham - but the last thing you wanna be doing is encouraging fat accumulation - by all means allow him to gain strength and build up muscle by allowing him plenty of room to move around (i also free-range my chams locusts and such to encourage him to get moving) but you really dont want fat...

Alexl

Avid Member
He looks much skinnier (esp. his legs), than the other males I have seen posted and his legs are skinnier than the female cham I use to have. His legs are very long and skinny (the vet didn't say anything about his skinny legs).
His leg should look skinny, because there are no fat storages. A chameleon's one and only fat pad ist the abdominal one and you can't see anything of it outside. Some months ago, I had a chameleon which seemed to look "thin" or rather restrictively fed. At necropsy I found out his abdominal fat bodies easily extended to his chest - so this animal wasn't thin at all, quite the contrary.

As long as he eats very well you can be sure he's "fat enough". In my opinion 10 to 15 crickets a day is really too much, even for a young chameleon.

donnak0125

I'll try and post a pic today. He probably hasn't been healthy long enough to get a normal thickness to his legs. How many crix should I feed him a day?

ataraxia

Avid Member
post some pics so we can get a better idea of skinny. many chameleons on here are beefy and maybe a little overweight. in my own experiences it takes about a month of solid feeding or so to beef up a chameleon. i use silkworms, hornworms to perk the appetite up. they pig out on these.

donnak0125

post some pics so we can get a better idea of skinny. many chameleons on here are beefy and maybe a little overweight. in my own experiences it takes about a month of solid feeding or so to beef up a chameleon. i use silkworms, hornworms to perk the appetite up. they pig out on these.
Still working on getting the pic up. I am going to order those worms on the Internet. Only worms I have found are the supers or the meal worms. I think they were meal worms?:confused: They looked like the supers only smaller. Both have that crunchy/slick/segmented outer shell. I know not to give many of that type, so I rarely feed him those.

donnak0125

I think I have a good picture finally to post regarding my cham's skinny legs. I'm thinking they don't look so dreadfully skinny anymore...? You can tell me what you think. This is a picture of him in the shower while I am cleaning his enclosure. His underbelly is lighter as of yesterday; I think he's about to shed. Also mind-you, he has an old injury to his tail, looks short too (was that way when I got him). Looks as if it was chewed-on by something. :confused:feb 4 2011.jpg

jojackson

It could just be that his body was a bit skinny before, now that its gained weight some, its legs seem disproportionately skinny. They look ok to me. Does look to be beginning a shed (lower half) and the appearance of the tail will improve some after a few sheds.
Good job with him, keep it happening! :)
p.s. Dont forget, regular monitoring of his weight and daily observation will keep you a step ahead of any further issues.
cheers :)

donnak0125

It could just be that his body was a bit skinny before, now that its gained weight some, its legs seem disproportionately skinny. They look ok to me. Does look to be beginning a shed (lower half) and the appearance of the tail will improve some after a few sheds.
Good job with him, keep it happening! :)
p.s. Dont forget, regular monitoring of his weight and daily observation will keep you a step ahead of any further issues.
cheers :)
Thanks for responding! ;) Yes, I have been weighing him (Romeo) daily. The fancy digital scale I have was sitting around unused for last 3 years (one of many expensive gadget/toys my Dad couldn't live without, then never used :rolleyes:), it has now come in very handy for me. How often should I weigh him once I finish with daily medication? I only have a couple more days of antibiotics, so I won't need to handle him so much. Since Romeo doesn't "dig being held/touched" I assume, I shouldn't do it everyday? :confused:

ataraxia

Avid Member
Thanks for responding! ;) Yes, I have been weighing him (Romeo) daily. The fancy digital scale I have was sitting around unused for last 3 years (one of many expensive gadget/toys my Dad couldn't live without, then never used :rolleyes:), it has now come in very handy for me. How often should I weigh him once I finish with daily medication? I only have a couple more days of antibiotics, so I won't need to handle him so much. Since Romeo doesn't "dig being held/touched" I assume, I shouldn't do it everyday? :confused:
personally i would just weigh him once a month. he looks good man. honestly feed the guy silkworms and hornworms till he cant eat no more and he will have thick legs soon enough.

Top Bottom