Healing and look who showed up

Hillary anne

Established Member
Still grieving Lou and feel kinda naked not having a weird little critter around. Decided to adopt this 13 year old female Mexican Red Knee named Isabella. I'm very excited. Any tarantula keepers with advice?
78703900_510443089824340_5557789811051331584_n.jpg

All honesty: creepy crawlies freak me out. I know, I know: I have several colonies of roaches, and they still creep me out. Even given my sissiness, I must admit, that’s a beautiful bug. (Oh no he didn’t! ‘Bug’. How dare he!). Sorry, the alliteration was too much to pass over. “Arachnid”

@Graves923 dont you keep these guys

I do. Very easy to care for. Check out arachnoboards.com. it's a forum similar to this with a ton of CORRECT care information. Google sucks for tarantula care info just like with most animals.

Basically, with that species, give them a few inches of soft substrate like Coco fiber and a hide of some sort. Avoid hard objects like rocks as decoration. They might try to climb glass and can loose their grip and fall. A fall can be dangerous and cause a abdominal rupture which could kill if you can't repair it yourself (not a fun thing to do)...

That species I believe likes drier habitats so you only need a water dish to provide a source of hydration if the spider wants it. They get most of their hydration from feeders.

For feeding, dubias are probably the best. Gutload with all the same stuff you would for a chameleons feeders. No additional supplements. Feed once per week unless the abdomen looks swollen in which you can go to every other week or less.

Room temps are good for most tarantulas such as 60-80*F. Humidity, don't worry about specific numbers. If the substrate is too wet, the spider will climb to avoid it. To dry and they may dig or web over it.

Airflow is always a good thing since stagnant air can cause issues with mold which can harm the tarantula. This is why most keepers avoid glass terrariums and go with plastic or plexiglass which can be modified with air holes along the sides and top to get good airflow.

I think I covered most things off the top of my head lol. Here is one of my more aggressive Ts

IMG_20190916_152122_718.jpg

When I was a child for a very brief time our house had a little collection of scorpions and tarantulas as well as a 9ft snake that had an massive custom enclosure . I was always interested in them but also somewhat afraid of them. Being maybe 4-5 years old seeing a arachnid that large was mind blowing vs your house hold spiders.

Anyhow absolute stunner ! Get some cool shots when you feed for us to gawk at

I do. Very easy to care for. Check out arachnoboards.com. it's a forum similar to this with a ton of CORRECT care information. Google sucks for tarantula care info just like with most animals.

Basically, with that species, give them a few inches of soft substrate like Coco fiber and a hide of some sort. Avoid hard objects like rocks as decoration. They might try to climb glass and can loose their grip and fall. A fall can be dangerous and cause a abdominal rupture which could kill if you can't repair it yourself (not a fun thing to do)...

That species I believe likes drier habitats so you only need a water dish to provide a source of hydration if the spider wants it. They get most of their hydration from feeders.

For feeding, dubias are probably the best. Gutload with all the same stuff you would for a chameleons feeders. No additional supplements. Feed once per week unless the abdomen looks swollen in which you can go to every other week or less.

Room temps are good for most tarantulas such as 60-80*F. Humidity, don't worry about specific numbers. If the substrate is too wet, the spider will climb to avoid it. To dry and they may dig or web over it.

Airflow is always a good thing since stagnant air can cause issues with mold which can harm the tarantula. This is why most keepers avoid glass terrariums and go with plastic or plexiglass which can be modified with air holes along the sides and top to get good airflow.

I think I covered most things off the top of my head lol. Here is one of my more aggressive Ts

View attachment 253145
Yes I’ve noticed so far that google search vs even YouTube browsing has been so different in information. Thanks for the solid advice in here as well, she is 12 years old and coming with a glass terrarium, I’m not sure what the top is til I get her but have been researching screen tops can be bad and to modify it with plexiglass. I’m really stoked, and can’t wait to see how she and I react to one another. I’m used to fussy critters so it will be a treat if she’s real chill like the owners mentioned (she hasn’t handled her for a while due to her itching her too much).
I am bringing a Brazilian red fire to my friend tomorrow from the same source as well.

Just wanted to say congratulations on getting such a beautiful creature.
i have 24 tarantulas, everything from Typhochlaena seledonia and Birupes simoroxigorum to many Brachypelma and Aphonopelma and I love them all,
i went from a serious arachnophobe to arachnoholic, you soon see how fascinating and extraordinary these creatures are, I like tarantulaforum.com, they are a friendly bunch.
Isabella is absolutely stunning!:)

Step 1, remove spider by having it go on remote ride:
Step 2 clean tank
Step 3 another remote ride back into tank
Step 4, find out they can climb really clean glass...
Step 5, find really big spider cup at 6am...

Back
Top Bottom