He is playing up already- some advice needed please

Mark Andbill

Bill has been home for two days now and although I have seen him drink he has not eaten, am I right in thinking he needs to settle in?
Also because he is so small the breeder gave me a plastic tank to keep him in for 4-6 weeks,meh said to place this in the middle of his big boy enclosure. The problems all he seems to want to do is get out of the tank and into the big world around him. Would I be better off getting another UVB and basking lamp and setting the small tank up away from the big Viv?
Thank you in advance

aqudysy9.jpg

Wow! How old is he? and how big is the cage? I got Koopa at about 5 weeks and put him in a 16x16x30 screen cage. I cup fed him until he was about 4 months. He did good in that cage until about 8 months old.

I'm ashamed to say that's the own question I didn't ask the breeder in the excitement of finally picking him up. I will call him too and find out exactly. The Viv is 18 x 36 x 48 and his little tank is about 6x8x12. When you say cup feed how exactly?

I'm not an expert, but have you thought about trying to put his little box up higher in the cage? Since chameleons like to be high up, maybe putting the smaller enclosure up higher would make him feel more secure. Just a thought. Good luck! He sure is a cute little fella! I just got a 10 week old baby myself(mine is a veiled). They are so cute when they are little!

Well it might take him some time to get used to the cage to eat. Thats normal. Yes try to get as much info as you can from the breeder. I was lucky to meet my breeder off this site. He was local, invited me to his house and showed me his Cham room and has been a big help since day 1. He looks sooo small! I would guess you should be feeding pinhead crix or fruit flies. When you get all the info Please fill this out. The "Senior Members" will be able to help out more. I been had my cham for 10 months but still have lots to learn
Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
• Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Good luck and GOD bless.

Oh, and cup feeding...I used some of those small Glad tupperware cups and attach it near the basking light. I dont think he would need a basking light at that size, however I might be wrong. Place the crickets in there. I also put some holes in the cup just incase you mist, water wont get stuck in the cup. Goodluck

I will get the info and fill it in ASAP, The problem I have is I can't use too big a cup as he is so small and the crix jump out of the smaller one. He is drinking well so I'm glad of that. Thank you for your help

I have just seen the cups so would he stand at the edge and fire into the cup or climb in? Sorry for all the seemingly stupid questions it's amazing how a little creature can get inside your brain

No prob at all. They usually stand above and fire into the cup. The bugs just kind of sat in there. Im not sure if it will fit in the smaller setup you got. They will grow fast so do worry he will be twice that size in a month or so.

Sorry for all the seemingly stupid questions it's amazing how a little creature can get inside your brain

Trust me..I understand! I think most everyone on here will too. I probably use the search function 10 times a day, looking for answers to some question or trying to calm down another panic. I freaked out when I saw mine yawn last night! haha I searched and found out it was normal. They really can make you worry! I think it's a good thing, though. It shows how much you care!

Hi Mark,
I would say from the picture that he is about 2 months old, maybe a slow grower and possibly be 3 months old. As for the size of his "big boy" enclosure- it is WAY to big for him at that age and at that size he should be feeding on pinhead crickets and will probably get more actively feeding with fruit flies too, maybe some smaller silkworms as well.

I currently keep 4 chams approx 1.5 - 2.5 months old in an enclosure 17in tall, 17in long, and 13in wide - and they are all growing & thriving & eating like little beasts and they have both a source of UVB (older reptisun 5.0 bulb) and a basking lamp with temps in the 85-87 degree range in the basking area- I got the container and cut out the sides and hot glued screen into it for ventilation. the wire looking stuff is plastic coated and allows them to hunt for food from the very bottom of the tank right on up - see picture below:

chamenclosurepics001_zps1ecca783.jpg

The small white porcelain bowl was a dip dish that I got a a local dollar store, I use this to keep small dubia roaches in and they can't climb out of it because the sides are too smooth but it's small enough that if a cham does get in their that they can get out. To keep the pinhead crickets in the enclosure use some clear packing tape along the inside of the enclosure- they can't climb over it because it is to smooth for them, fruit flies however have no issues climbing over it, but they don't usually last in the enclosure for very long with 4 hungry mouths in there.

Hopefully this helps you out in raising a healthy Panther !!

Thank you for that, I think I will set him up separately for now and see how he goes. I will pick up another uv, and thermostat, basking light etc tomorrow, all the current stuff is wired and clipped into the enclosure.

I had the same problem as you ...
My cham wasnt eating at first... I was trying to cup feed .. until I learned that He likes freeranged food... So I started to drop the food and let him hunt it.
Another very important thing... the insects must be small enough for him...
they must be no bigger than the size of the space between his two eyes..
And.. dont hold him much this first weeks.. let him settle down.. handling at this point will just stress him

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to o out and gt him a complete new "baby" set up tomorrow. It's so awkward dealing with the tank inside the big Viv it means I have to keep getting him out to clean and remove feeders.

Back
Top Bottom