He is coming around

Charlie is now 4 month and he has been with me for about 1.5month. I started Handfeeding from Day one and I takes about 2-3 from me.
About 2 weeks now I put one of my fake tree in front of he enclosure and he like to climb on it. I love watching him. My hand is still abit scary to me but that understandable.
The last few days every time I open his enclosure he comes running down and runs in my head
I’m very happy with the progress he/we are making. I’ve been reading that we shouldn’t take them out every day because that can stress them out. My question now is:
When he comes running at me every time I open his door and freely comes out will that be alright or is it better not to let him out?
Just want to make the right thing with my little guy. Thank you for your advice

I don't think it would be bad to hold him if he climbs on your hand. Just keep in mind though, that a chameleon that does not appreciate his enclosure will also try to leave/escape when the door is open. You should post pics of your enclosure and ask the membership to review it and offer advice if improvements are needed.

I don't think it would be bad to hold him if he climbs on your hand. Just keep in mind though, that a chameleon that does not appreciate his enclosure will also try to leave/escape when the door is open. You should post pics of your enclosure and ask the membership to review it and offer advice if improvements are needed.
This is the Enclosure Charlie is in. I want to get a few more green veins for him. He climbs all around in there from the top all the way down to the bottom.
The enclosure is
Weight: 24”
Deep: 20”
High: 48”

Attachments

• 284A4FB8-30DA-47E7-92C8-E817C3E66AB7.jpeg
    284A4FB8-30DA-47E7-92C8-E817C3E66AB7.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 66
This is the Enclosure Charlie is in. I want to get a few more green veins for him. He climbs all around in there from the top all the way down to the bottom.
The enclosure is
Weight: 24”
Deep: 20”
High: 48”
The cage looks all glass/plastic with little holes and a solid top. He needs some more ventilation and a screen top, with the uvb and basking on top of the screen unless you’re absolutely sure he 100% can’t get too close enough to them to cause a burn, or worse, climb on to them. Add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, throughout. Good job, just needs some improvement

Also a t5HO linear uvb light and fixture is extremely better than a compact fluorescent. A 6% Arcadia is perfect for a panther

Looks like a plexiglass enclosure with some air holes drilled in it. Looks like you need more ventilation in there as well as more branches and plants. What lighting are you using? What are the temps, in particular the basking temp?

Is that moss on the bottom? I see a misting nozzle in there, do you have drainage? If the moss stays wet you may develop a bacteria problem, especially due to lack of ventilation. Just trying to help you tweak your enclosure :)

Also a t5HO linear uvb light and fixture is extremely better than a compact fluorescent. A 6% Arcadia is perfect for a panther
The one I Have in there is the Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood Reptile Lighting, 14"
That isn’t that good is that what you telling me?

Looks like a plexiglass enclosure with some air holes drilled in it. Looks like you need more ventilation in there as well as more branches and plants. What lighting are you using? What are the temps, in particular the basking temp?
Yes it is plexiglass with hole drilled all the way done on both sides and at the back. I also have two small computer fans built in at the top which are always running for air flow.
The basking spot temp is around 83f and I use a normal household 60watt and for uvb I have Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood Reptile Lighting, 14"

Is that moss on the bottom? I see a misting nozzle in there, do you have drainage? If the moss stays wet you may develop a bacteria problem, especially due to lack of ventilation. Just trying to help you tweak your enclosure :)
And I’m very appreciative for all the help I can get. No drainage yet, no

Could you fill out this form, please?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
Did you read the panther cham care sheet? It has proper temps for different ages of chams. Get a good drainage system set up
I will do that as soon as I’m home from work.
So the enclosure even with the computer fan build in at the top for airflow isn’t good for him? I want to do it right and if that mean to get the screen cage I will do that.

I will do that as soon as I’m home from work.
So the enclosure even with the computer fan build in at the top for airflow isn’t good for him? I want to do it right and if that mean to get the screen cage I will do that.
The fans could make it drafty. Of course, I don’t know your set up like you do. The problem is there could be stagnant air in the enclosure from not enough ventilation, along with a draft from the fans

The fans could make it drafty. Of course, I don’t know your set up like you do. The problem is there could be stagnant air in the enclosure from not enough ventilation, along with a draft from the fans
I see your point I didn’t even thing of that. I will change the cage to a reptibreeze 24x24x48 is that going to be big enough for him. He is only 4 month right now but I’m thinking for the long run.

I see your point I didn’t even thing of that. I will change the cage to a reptibreeze 24x24x48 is that going to be big enough for him. He is only 4 month right now but I’m thinking for the long run.
It’s big enough to hold him throughout the rest of his life. Of course, you could also build or buy one or a bigger one. Diycages.com has bigger ones and I’m building 2 huge ones myself. I can link my thread if you want

Back
Top Bottom