He is always so dark. Help

Ok yeah we were planning on getting a live plant this weekend
So write down the Veiled tested ones from that list. The two that would work best for your cage that will give you height is an umbrella plant and a ficus plant. Also make sure you get 1 inch or larger rock to cover the soil. The dollar store sells these in their craft isle in little netted bags. :)

So I just received the correct UVB should I use the 5.0 or the 10.0 to start?
The 5.0 linear bulb for the T5HO fixture and you want your basking distance to be 8-9 inches below the fixture for the correct UVI level. You can use the 10.0 if you have a 11-12 inch distance to basking branch below it for the same UVI level.

Just got the new multivitamin
What is my supplement schedule with the calcium and everything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 56
Just got the new multivitamin
What is my supplement schedule with the calcium and everything
Ok so this one is the without D3 version. It will be used 2 times a month and then you will use the calcium with D3 two times a month. These two supplements get rotated week to week at one feeding lightly dusted on all feeders then calcium without D3 at all other feedings. :)

Ok sorry to bother so late but does anyone know by chance how long mbd takes to heal?
also I still don’t know why he is always so dark unless he is sleeping...
I got the correct uvb lighting and multivitamin.

Ok sorry to bother so late but does anyone know by chance how long mbd takes to heal?
I don't know how long it takes, but I would assume months.
And I am not sure about the dark color, could it be that the MBD is causing stress that is affecting his color? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Unfortunately any deformities caused by mbd are permanent. Any broken bones will take weeks to even months to heal over provided husbandry is corrected. I would think that other affects would also take some time. @kinyonga may know better.

Whatever deformities a chameleon ha from MBD before it is treated will likely stay. It takes time for the bones to regain their strength while being treated. The muscles are also affected by MBD...and some other systems in the chameleon too.

To correct MBD, the D3, calcium, phos, and vitamin A have to be brought back into balance no then kept there with proper husbandry. The MBD will stay corrected if the husbandry is right after the MBD is corrected.

Usually the chameleons are put on a liquid calcium supplement and the proper supplementing, temperatures, etc are also need to be right too.

You really should have a vet look at the chameleon and you may have to get the liquid calcium from the vet too.

Good luck!

Ok I will when I get home
Ok I know that I don’t have live plants in here and that it is a MUST, I have not been able to get any lately but I am still getting some it will just be later than expected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 71
Ok I know that I don’t have live plants in here and that it is a MUST, I have not been able to get any lately but I am still getting some it will just be later than expected.
Ok the hammock has to come out. They can not grip things like that. Is that a rock fountain on the bottom?

Make sure there are no wires that can poke him in the cage. Anything you use wires on the wire sharps need to be on the outside of the cage.

What are your temps at basking level below the heat fixture?

The low temps are 70 the high are 90
All wires on cage a hidden from him
It is a fountain but I have heard bad things but it has a filter
The hammock has holes in it for him to grip

The low temps are 70 the high are 90
All wires on cage a hidden from him
It is a fountain but I have heard bad things but it has a filter
The hammock has holes in it for him to grip
ok so the fountain needs to be removed. they are not clean and not natural for a cham to use them. The hammock still needs to be removed. These are made for reptiles like bearded dragons that walk flat footed. Chams have to grip around things like branches it is not a natural thing for them to bask flat footed on a hammock.

If temps are 90 at the highest basking branch this is too hot. you want no hotter then 80. You can use a lower wattage heat bulb or lift the fixture up off the screen to reduce the heat at basking. A wired probe with temp gauge at basking is the best way to know what your real basking temp is.

I would also move the orange towel out... Typically bright colors like that can effect them if they view it as a threat.

Back
Top Bottom