Hawaii Outdoor Enclosure

AlohaChameleon

Just wanted to update since we are new to the forums and our buddy MJ has been doing so well in his new enclosure. I took some photos as we built the enclosure but haven't had the time to post until now.

This is an outdoor enclosure that we can move around to get optimal natural morning sun exposure. Anything beyond morning sun can get too hot, and we've found that MJ is doing well with morning sun and plenty of afternoon shade. We free-range him in the cooler afternoon sun in our yard. (We supervise so he can't escape!) Since we made the enclosure, we have outfitted it with lots of cool beachwood branches and pathos vines we harvested from just down the street! Originally we had a ficus in there.

We used 1/2" hardware cloth and fir for the framing lumber, cedar for the exterior finish and the bottom slats. 48"x18"x18"

22421699948_4bc09afbb6_z.jpg
22441559997_b8a970a1d6_z.jpg

22218935293_280284be11_z.jpg
22826519082_1bf8aa5d0c_z.jpg

MJ free-ranging on our papaya tree!
22217299794_573de2b42a_z.jpg
22671929760_16c9c1ec39_z.jpg

I am sure he was diggin' that recent rain. Kudos on that cage height. I have found the taller a jax cage, the happier the cham.

Yea, he loves the consistent rain we get here in Kaneohe.
We also have a mister set up that gives his foliage a nice soaking every morning.

If it's been a dry/windy day he gets a nice misting in the evening too, or we just spray the Brazilian plum (shown in the giant blue pot) and he free ranges there and drinks from the leaves which hold water quite well.

I insisted on a taller cage after reading all of the valuable information here! I quickly found out that the one we originally purchased off of craigslist was entirely too small for him.

Nice set up! MJ is a lucky Cham to be living in HI!
I absolutely loved Hawaii and We actually drove through your town when I visited. What a beautiful place!

Thank you!
Yes the tropical conditions are perfection for him. We are located on the rainy side of O'ahu too, so it really helps out. Right now we are mostly feeding crickets, and some mealworms but also house flies, moths, millipedes, earthworms. I'm sure anything that happens to wander into the enclosure get's eaten too! He's now gotten used to eating out of my husbands hand.

Our main problem is trying to breed crickets and generally just keep them alive...mass cricket death and they are so expensive here. :::sigh:::

Don't feed him mealworms, horrible for chams. Get superworms instead. Not sure about eathworms. Moths, butterflies, mantids, bumblebees (minus stinger), walking sticks, hornworms, silkworms are great food items.

Ok thanks! Will look into getting some of those, but honestly have not seen any at our pet supply stores. We are a bit limited on what we can buy here because Hawaii has strict laws on what plants and animals can be imported. There are lots of insects to choose from in the wild, so we have caught what we can.

Don't feed him mealworms, horrible for chams.

Just curious, do you know what makes mealworms bad for chams? Unfortunately they were our only choice when the store ran out of crickets. (probably because they all died from that virus!)

Ok thanks! Will look into getting some of those, but honestly have not seen any at our pet supply stores. We are a bit limited on what we can buy here because Hawaii has strict laws on what plants and animals can be imported. There are lots of insects to choose from in the wild, so we have caught what we can.

Just curious, do you know what makes mealworms bad for chams? Unfortunately they were our only choice when the store ran out of crickets. (probably because they all died from that virus!)

Their exoskeleton is hard for them to digest I think. Your Cham looks very happy, I wish I could build my own little tropical garden outside.

Thanks! I added an updated photo showing the branches and vines. There is also a cool variegated ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) in there.

I might be incorrect but isn't cedar toxic to reptiles? It's a beautiful enclosure so I hate to mention it but I'm pretty sure it's toxic. I hope someone who knows more will chime in.

I've read that it shouldn't be used as a substrate.

The bottom and the exterior finish pieces are western red cedar.
The interior framing is douglas fir.

So he would essentially only be in contact with cedar if he was on the bottom of the cage, but I've yet to see him crawl down there. Either way, I'll make sure to cover up the bottom cedar pieces with something that's cham friendly just in case.

Just wanted to update since we are new to the forums and our buddy MJ has been doing so well in his new enclosure. I took some photos as we built the enclosure but haven't had the time to post until now.

This is an outdoor enclosure that we can move around to get optimal natural morning sun exposure. Anything beyond morning sun can get too hot, and we've found that MJ is doing well with morning sun and plenty of afternoon shade. We free-range him in the cooler afternoon sun in our yard. (We supervise so he can't escape!) Since we made the enclosure, we have outfitted it with lots of cool beachwood branches and pathos vines we harvested from just down the street! Originally we had a ficus in there.

We used 1/2" hardware cloth and fir for the framing lumber, cedar for the exterior finish and the bottom slats. 48"x18"x18"

22421699948_4bc09afbb6_z.jpg
22441559997_b8a970a1d6_z.jpg

22218935293_280284be11_z.jpg
22826519082_1bf8aa5d0c_z.jpg

MJ free-ranging on our papaya tree!
22217299794_573de2b42a_z.jpg
22671929760_16c9c1ec39_z.jpg
Can you please send me the pics? I can't figure out what to do about my cham's temporary enclosure when we drive 12 hours up to maine and stay there for a month, but I googled search and yours showed up and lead me to this thread but then the pics disappeared :(

Can you please send me the pics? I can't figure out what to do about my cham's temporary enclosure when we drive 12 hours up to maine and stay there for a month, but I googled search and yours showed up and lead me to this thread but then the pics disappeared :(
Doubtful that you’ll get a response. This thread is from 2015.

Back
Top Bottom