Hawaii Jackson's to Canada??

Zen Reptiles

Avid Member
So I am planning a short trip to Hawaii in the next two months, I was wondering two things.

1) What's the best island to see a lot of jacksonii
2) What process is involved in bringing some back to Canada, I live in BC

Thanks!

ive read a few things bout this on threads on this fourm and i think the prob is finding an airline that will let them on from what i have read you can get a permit to collect i think its 4? but gettin them off the island is the prob, you cant ship em and airlines dont let them on even with paperwork.. theres threads on it.. and ive seen them on oahu

and I'm not a fan of taking wild caught animals into a caged area. Thats my opinion...for if thats what your doing

Good luck Brock! Hopefully you can find a good airline.

and I'm not a fan of taking wild caught animals into a caged area. Thats my opinion...for if thats what your doing
Your chameleons are descendants of those chameleons. But that's another thread for another time.

Good luck Brock! Hopefully you can find a good airline.

Your chameleons are descendants of those chameleons. But that's another thread for another time.

Ya chameleons once came from wild caught...but they are raised so much different. This isn't the same...just taking a wild and keeping it. Thats why we now have captive bred. hmm ya.

Hello fellow Birtish Columbian. Haha, I've seen you on BCRC I think. They're def not on Maui(I might be wrong) from my experience, but I've heard Oahu does.

Ya chameleons once came from wild caught...but they are raised so much different. This isn't the same...just taking a wild and keeping it. Thats why we now have captive bred. hmm ya.

Why are you so obstinate all the time? Many people bring jacksonii from Hawaii into captivity. Not every chameleon is easily captive bred you know? W/C chameleons help bring in new bloodlines, add diversity to the gene pools of that species in captivity, and in some cases, can bring a captive born chameleon species into captivity that is not commonly born in captivity.

Brock, Im going to try looking up the thread for you, but it was basically step by step instructions on bringing them back. Basically you need a permit from the state of Hawaii which is fairly easy. The hard part is finding an airline that will let you travel with the animals.

Why are you so obstinate all the time? Many people bring jacksonii from Hawaii into captivity. Not every chameleon is easily captive bred you know? W/C chameleons help bring in new bloodlines, add diversity to the gene pools of that species in captivity, and in some cases, can bring a captive born chameleon species into captivity that is not commonly born in captivity.

Brock, Im going to try looking up the thread for you, but it was basically step by step instructions on bringing them back. Basically you need a permit from the state of Hawaii which is fairly easy. The hard part is finding an airline that will let you travel with the animals.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/shipping-jacksons-hawaii-anyone-done-successfully-28592/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/aloha-jacksons-hawaii-sf-25125/

Because many times I bring in turtles that absoultly need help and I go to ask questions and people nail me for bringing them in. They don't understand that I am basically "rescuing" and then releasing when back to health. Idk if he is doing the same...but I am just saying that idea is unfair. Thats all.

Because many times I bring in turtles that absoultly need help and I go to ask questions and people nail me for bringing them in. They don't understand that I am basically "rescuing" and then releasing when back to health. Idk if he is doing the same...but I am just saying that idea is unfair. Thats all.

No he is bringing them off of the island, to keep them in captivity.

last i heard they still wont ship live animals, my parents lived on oahu and the permit was no prob prob was gettin em off the island my dad worked for an airline so trip was free but they were an airline that wouldnt let them on didnt matter what paperwork you had...

Thanks for your opinions, Jesus:rolleyes: We now have captive bred panthers and veileds and those are the only two species that are readily being bred in captivity. You will not find a ton of any other type chams that are CB, hmm ya. You also fail to realize that jacksonii xanths are not native to Hawaii and are considered an invasive species. Not good for the islands native species. There are regulations on how many chams can be exported from a country and what species also. This is to help keep populations from going extinct from pet trade. Some numbers are unfortunately high but there are regulations.

You have yet again turned a thread to :eek:. Congrats!!!

Brock, as others have mentioned it seems the problem is being able to take them on a flight. However you are also in Canada so the animals would need to be inspected by Canadian authorities. Not really sure in this situation if you would need an import/export permit or not but I would call them just to make sure.

Jackson's don't belong in Hawaii. Although everything there is 'introduced', chameleons are one of those predators that does major damage to small bird and reptile populations. We also have maybe one breeder of jacksonii in Canada and they didn't have enough available this year to even sell lol.

I have no problem taking WC animals that don't belong in that particular wild.

Air Canada's pet policy doesn't specify what it takes, it sounds like it will take anything.

Fee for animal checked as baggage on flights within Canada and United-States (including Hawaii): $105 CAD/USD one-way

I will give Department of Land and Natural Resources a call tomorrow and follow up with what info they give me.

Keep in mind that you will be taking a CITES Appendix II species across international lines so you will need to get CITES documents and have them inspected both in the US and upon arrival in Canada. You should contact the US Fish and Wildlife Service department in Hawaii AND the Division of Forestry and Wildlife for Hawaii's Department of Land and Natural Resources because you will have to have permits from both.

Attempting to ship them UPS is completely illegal for international transport of a CITES species!

Chris

Jackson's in Hawaii

Aloha,
Feel free to come and observe our beautiful Jackson's in the wild but please keep them in the wild. We see them often on our hikes and enjoy watching them and sometimes let them climb up our arm. If you want one for a pet buy one from a reputable dealer who only has captive bred. Here is some factual info:

Any person wanting to export a chameleon from Hawaii must obtain an export permit from the Division of Forestry and Wildlife office on the island of Oahu only. The office is located at 1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 325, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 (808) 587-0166. We will need your photo identification card. Whether you catch it yourself or purchase it you still need an export permit. The maximum number you can export is four, and you may only do so one time. You may not export chameleons for commercial purposes.

Jackson’s Chameleons are an endangered species in their native range. Therefore, to export a chameleon to another country, you must also obtain a Cites permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Call (808) 861-8525.

Other important information you should know:
1. Before obtaining a chameleon to export, we recommend you check with your airline to see if it will accept it on their aircraft.
2. Chameleons may not be taken from island to island in Hawaii.

More information:
Hawaii does not allow Chameleons to leave the state except as hand carried animals. It is illegal to mail them.

It is important for pet fanciers to understand that chameleons, as an alien species that is not native to Hawaii, are not welcome in Hawai‘i.

Chameleons themselves prey on insects and have shown the ability to spread widely into forest areas where they are yet another predator on Hawai‘i's native insects. Each species of animal that may be accidentally or intentionally introduced into the Hawaiian forest also increases the potential prey base for Brown Tree Snakes and other snakes, which increases the likelihood of these alien species successfully establishing populations. Illegal chameleon exporting is still occurring. Collectors trespass and damage private property in addition to keeping the animals they catch in large numbers in residential areas, potentially exposing themselves and their neighbors to salmonella.

Why doesn’t the state encourage people to catch and export the animals we don't want? Because when there is a potential profit to be made these individuals have moved Jackson's Chameleons and other species around the islands to "ranch" them in wilderness areas. Because the amount of captures does not really seem to significantly reduce the population of chameleons and encourages collectors to spread them to new areas, the State of Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources instituted the policy of making commercial export illegal.

For unusual and illegal animals where the priority is capturing the animal as quickly as possible call the Department of Agriculture pest hot line at 586-7378.

For information about specific statutes regarding injurious alien species, or to talk with a taxonomist about reporting a new species in their area call the State Invasive Species Coordinator at 587-0164.

http://hawaiideptland.custhelp.com/...?p_faqid=244&p_created=1024693793&p_topview=1

Mahalo,
Beth

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom