Hatching silkworm eggs

I have found hatching and raising silkworms is very easy if you follow a few rules. Silkworms need a clean environment or they will get sick and turn into a black liquid mess.

Eggs Hatch best when kept at 75-80 degrees. Hatching typically takes between 7 and 10 days. Feed 24hr after hatch. Do you want to keep the environment of the eggs hatch and dry.

clean/sanitize bin or container you’re going to raise your worm then.
Wash hands before handing the worms or feeding.
Keep your bin dry so that the poop drys out and you shouldn’t have to clean out your bin everyday.

I am currently raising silkworms for me I have had more die then I have fed off and I’m following all the instructions. As for eggs I have tried 3 times to hatch eggs all of which not successful. Even tho I haven’t been very successful I have heard loads of people are and until you try it you aren’t going to know.

@Tylerdowd where have you purchased your egg from? I have ordered from a few different places. I definitely have better success with eggs that are not glued down.

what are the steps you have followed when hatching and caring for your silkies?

@Tylerdowd where have you purchased your egg from? I have ordered from a few different places. I definitely have better success with eggs that are not glued down.

I purchased mine from a website called silkworm store the first batch of eggs wasn’t glued I kept them at around 25 degrees when they arrived they looked slightly damaged but because it was my first time ever having them I was unsure I kept them for about 20 days and nothing they then sent another batch out to me which was glued and looked better but the same again had them around 20 days and nothing. So I ordered micro silkworms from same place they arrived in good health and they sold containers for them too with a hinged lid which I kept open all the time I had them at room temperature and fed them about every other day as they didn’t get through the food in 1 day I also cleaned them out every other day so moved them to a clean container with plastic tongs and placed fresh food but everytime I would find dead ones that was slush I started with around 300 micro silk worms I now have about 30 left some of which have grown loads others not so much I wash my hands before doing anything with them.

Any recommendations for egg purchase?

I hope to begin my second year of rearing silkworms soon. I am just waiting for the temperatures to warm up a bit. I live in Canada, so it's been too cold even with room temperature at 21 degrees celsius.
My eggs last year hatched around 17 days, but some hatched after 60. Spyro told me that they can be viable for a very long time. A recent experience I had also illustrates this; I found an egg stuck on the side of my habitat around February. The last time the females were in there was around September/October of last year. The egg hatched in March of this year. So, moral of the story is: even if they don't all hatch on schedule, they may still be good.

@Ramrod i have always had great success with eggs for silkwormshop.com

you can also get eggs from coastal silkworms on eBay for a great price.

Its been 6 days that I recieved the eggs. Today, there are a couple eggs which turned white, but I dont see lil worms. Are they beginning to hatch? I didnt notice the color change either.

Attachments

• 20210420_094029.jpg
    20210420_094029.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Great photo👍🏻
I would say you will have some babies soon. With in the next days or so🙂

I just started another 500 eggs. They hatching on day 8 with temperatures in the room of 74. Now to feed

Its been 6 days that I recieved the eggs. Today, there are a couple eggs which turned white, but I dont see lil worms. Are they beginning to hatch? I didnt notice the color change either.
add a bit of food... They are starting to hatch if you have white eggs. They are microscopic and die fast if they do not have food and warmth.

I do not think that white egg hatched. It looks collapsed. The others could be close though. Looks like your pictures are pretty close-up, so if the hatchling was there you'd see it.
I know they are tiny, but like I said your pics are pretty close-up that you should be able to spot it. I can see them against a light background, and I have poor vision.

Just my two cents.

You should be able to see the hatchlings they kinda like like eyelash on the dish. I I have observed the eggs turn white/ clear after the hatchlings emerge.
CEF08D8D-D610-4E72-A268-DB762E7A8CEF.jpeg

you can kind see were the worm came out of the egg in this photo.

I would be ready to feed your new worms very soon.

Back
Top Bottom