Hatch rate?

tameraivy

Hello :)
I am just curios if there is a "normal" hatch rate for chameleons.. I have looked through the forums, but can't find a thread about it..
I know that sometimes you will have eggs that don't hatch, I am just wondering how common that is.
I recently had my very first (and only) batch of panther eggs hatch, and out of 33 eggs only 26 hatched.
They shrank and hardened and almost looked deflated but didn't hatch..
I opened them to find fully formed, dead babies.. :confused:
I put the eggs in vermiculite, put them in a cabinet in my living room, and the temps were between 71-77 degrees..
Parents are unrelated..
Hatching started just before 6 months of incubating.
I feel like I did something wrong!!
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks..

You hatched healthy babies, you did nothing wrong! You don't see any stats because there are none. A lot of things have a impact on a clutch of eggs. It is how all of those combine in any one mating that determines some of the egg behavior, also age, size, health of chams, and lots of other variables most of us don't even know to consider.

Having healthy live babies, is wonderful. Enjoy them, it is sad some did not hatch, but that has happened to almost everyone of us who has breed chams.

the reasons they didn't hatch could have been anything.

too much moisture, not enough, something wrong with the baby (even if you couldn't see it), something wrong with the egg shell ( too hard to pip), genetics, environment, etc.

just be happy you have what you have, 26 panthers is a lot!

oh and, we have a rule here, pics or it didn't happen!

the reasons they didn't hatch could have been anything.
:D
too much moisture, not enough, something wrong with the baby (even if you couldn't see it), something wrong with the egg shell ( too hard to pip), genetics, environment, etc.

just be happy you have what you have, 26 panthers is a lot!

oh and, we have a rule here, pics or it didn't happen!

Yes how did I forget that rule?? Thanks for reminding me. Where are the pictures? We love baby pictures.:D

Thank you so much.. I am relieved to hear this!! I know I am more than blessed with 26 babies..
Here are some pics :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 158
Apparently I need a lesson on how to post more than one photo at a time. :p
Here's another..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 130
start a reply, then click the paperclip.

you can browsw your computer, click upload after you select, then you can do that 4 more times (for a total of five pics)

then close the window, click paperclip again, and click insert attachments.

Back
Top Bottom