Hasn’t laid yet…any cause for concern?

MangoTango

Established Member
Hey guys, my female veiled has had 2 successful clutches. First was 45, second was 30. This will be her third and i’m sure it’ll be around 20, since i’ve changed feeding/temps. that being said, when I see that she’s receptive, she usually lays 30 days after that. I noticed she was receptive in the beginning of December, and now it is Jan 12, and she hasn’t laid yet. She’s been going to the bottom a lot, she’s restless, and coloration has become a little darker, like her usual gravid colors. She’s been in the bin a few times, but hasn’t actually dug. Usually she touches the dirt and feels around it a few days before actually laying. 2 days ago, she refused food, and I was like yes finally, she’s going to lay, but she still hasn’t. I got one dubia in her today, and it took a few minutes, she really wasn’t interested in it on her own. Other than that, she’s completely healthy, nothing sunken in, and acting normal. Do they always lay around 30 days after being receptive, or should i not be worried that it’s taking a bit more time? is this okay? i’m afraid she’ll continue the hunger strike but she won’t lay.

I can only tell you my experiences. When Grumpy laid the last time, there were about 3 months in between the end of her being receptive and laying. It made me nervous as the reduced laying was just starting to really work. That was 3 years ago and since then, she’s had receptive periods and never laid. Stella has been the same, but she lays once a year. Except for the last time when Stella didn’t approve of laying in anything but her old bin, neither girl has gone off food or been in the bin except to dig/lay. Stella’s last lay, she tried digging in her bioactive floor, plant pots, shallow lay bin and even her faux background. It wasn’t until out of complete desperation I put her old lay bin in that she finally approved enough to lay. So, I have to then ask if you’ve changed the lay bin or anything related to it? Obviously they can be that fussy.

I can only tell you my experiences. When Grumpy laid the last time, there were about 3 months in between the end of her being receptive and laying. It made me nervous as the reduced laying was just starting to really work. That was 3 years ago and since then, she’s had receptive periods and never laid. Stella has been the same, but she lays once a year. Except for the last time when Stella didn’t approve of laying in anything but her old bin, neither girl has gone off food or been in the bin except to dig/lay. Stella’s last lay, she tried digging in her bioactive floor, plant pots, shallow lay bin and even her faux background. It wasn’t until out of complete desperation I put her old lay bin in that she finally approved enough to lay. So, I have to then ask if you’ve changed the lay bin or anything related to it? Obviously they can be that fussy.
yes, I changed her whole enclosure a while ago from a height of 36” to finally 24x24x48, and I gave her a new bin because the old one was an old fish tank and was acrylic, so the bottom is cracked since I drilled holes for drainage. how long should I wait to switch the bin back to her old one? if you think that’s the issue. also she has been plump, so I know that she really does have eggs to lay.

yes, I changed her whole enclosure a while ago from a height of 36” to finally 24x24x48, and I gave her a new bin because the old one was an old fish tank and was acrylic, so the bottom is cracked since I drilled holes for drainage. how long should I wait to switch the bin back to her old one? if you think that’s the issue. also she has been plump, so I know that she really does have eggs to lay.
It could be the issue of why she isn’t laying and is worth trying to see if putting the old bin back encourages her to lay. If you can sneak it in during the night, that would be good. When I had to put Stella’s old bin in, it was a big undertaking and she did wake up while I was doing it. She went right back to sleep once I finished though and all was fine. She got down to business the next day.

It could be the issue of why she isn’t laying and is worth trying to see if putting the old bin back encourages her to lay. If you can sneak it in during the night, that would be good. When I had to put Stella’s old bin in, it was a big undertaking and she did wake up while I was doing it. She went right back to sleep once I finished though and all was fine. She got down to business the next day.
okay interesting, i’ll have to try that. i’ll keep you updated, thank you very much

I feel you 200%! Their appetite decreases as the eggs are taking up space in their bellies...not that anything has ever slowed my little green tree pigs down. I don‘t know exactly their process, but probably whatever instinct tells them to dig is probably also telling them they don’t need to eat.
You have her enclosure covered - at least the bottom half? No disturbances or seeing anyone? If she’s starting to dig and then stopping and/or starts showing any signs of distress, get her to a vet asap. Stella went about 4-5 days I think before I desperately tried her old bin.

I feel you 200%! Their appetite decreases as the eggs are taking up space in their bellies...not that anything has ever slowed my little green tree pigs down. I don‘t know exactly their process, but probably whatever instinct tells them to dig is probably also telling them they don’t need to eat.
You have her enclosure covered - at least the bottom half? No disturbances or seeing anyone? If she’s starting to dig and then stopping and/or starts showing any signs of distress, get her to a vet asap. Stella went about 4-5 days I think before I desperately tried her old bin.
I just replaced the new bin for the old one, unfortunately I couldn’t do it while she was sleeping because I have to unscrew the bottom service door to slide the bin in. I had to put her in a carrier for only 12 mins, I switched them super quick. She didn’t seem stressed and is acting fine. I don’t have the bottom half covered, usually when we see her start to dig a few days before laying, we put it up, but she hasn’t been interested at all. There’s ton of leaves in front of the bin so we can’t see in. She’s been going down to the bottom a lot, and even so much as to go on the literal floor of the enclosure, but she doesn’t want to lay and she’s still refusing food. I believe it’s been 3 or 4 days now that she hasn’t eaten (besides the single dubia she ate the other day), and I feed her every 2 days. She wants to come out a lot, she’s incredibly restless, but she won’t go in the bin and it’s frustrating, and yes ofc there’s branches and a wooden ladder going into it so she has easy access. I’m frustrated and scared for her.

When did you change her to the new enclosure though? Can you post pics of her so we can see what she is looking like?
new enclosure change was oct 6. im at work rn but i’ll post the most recent pics I have.

Attachments

• BAE414BC-C961-47A5-980C-A22766FC60C4.jpeg
    BAE414BC-C961-47A5-980C-A22766FC60C4.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 84F185E7-5BF5-44DB-9AC1-A556FC8D4C0B.jpeg
    84F185E7-5BF5-44DB-9AC1-A556FC8D4C0B.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 47
  • BE91CFA4-CC08-44C1-ABB1-D1F5E6D56F65.jpeg
    BE91CFA4-CC08-44C1-ABB1-D1F5E6D56F65.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 53
  • EA27B19D-FAC5-4038-AC1A-9E23FE779EF8.jpeg
    EA27B19D-FAC5-4038-AC1A-9E23FE779EF8.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 52
update: her appetite is reduced, not completely gone altogether. I got a dubia in her today, and it took a few mins before she even went to eat it.

That sounds like she’s receptive more than gravid. Have you been keeping track of her weights? You may want to make a vet visit and have an x ray to see if she has eggs and how formed they are, if for no other reason than peace of mind.
hmm interesting. why the reduced appetite then? I do not keep track of her weights but I can start, and i’ve been thinking of getting an x-ray done. anyone know roughly how much that costs and if nationwide insurance will cover it?

Some girls will have an appetite decrease when receptive. I can only guess what your girl is doing. I only have a couple of vet receipts handy and looks like the last X Ray I had for a cham was $100. I’m not sure how many views that was. Of course each vet has their own fees. I would think the pet insurance would cover it, but you’d have to call them to confirm.

Some girls will have an appetite decrease when receptive. I can only guess what your girl is doing. I only have a couple of vet receipts handy and looks like the last X Ray I had for a cham was $100. I’m not sure how many views that was. Of course each vet has their own fees. I would think the pet insurance would cover it, but you’d have to call them to confirm.
okay perfect, I will think about getting that done

They can have reduced appetite because their eggs are filling up space and pressing against their stomach. Also notice during this process, that they almost poop daily, but small amounts.

Weighing her from the moment she gets restless and shows her colors more prominent (Bella never looses her receptive colors completely), is always a good tracker for yourself during their process. My girl never shows interest in her laying bin, until the day she starts digging. Before that she’s only restless and patrolling everything (always in search for the best spot).The only two indicators I get with her, is close to the laying she gets a slight gular edema and she shows no interest in food.

They can have reduced appetite because their eggs are filling up space and pressing against their stomach. Also notice during this process, that they almost poop daily, but small amounts.

Weighing her from the moment she gets restless and shows her colors more prominent (Bella never looses her receptive colors completely), is always a good tracker for yourself during their process. My girl never shows interest in her laying bin, until the day she starts digging. Before that she’s only restless and patrolling everything (always in search for the best spot).The only two indicators I get with her, is close to the laying she gets a slight gular edema and she shows no interest in food.
yes!! she has been pooping daily in small amounts ! this calmed me so much u have no idea lol!! thank you to everyone !! my girl has gular edema when she’s receptive as well

Back
Top Bottom