Has this ever happened to anyone???

Olowanpi

Ok, I am still tripping out on this, but I am still relatively new to Chameleon keeping, so maybe this happens sometimes...

I had a clutch of Panthers that I had given to a local Pet Shop manager to incubate for me... this was my first clutch (layed on Nov. 8, 2008 - YES! 2008!) He incubates all kinds of reptiles for customers all the time, and I felt better about him keeping them than myself with no experience (at that time).

Last September (2009) he called to tell me that he had had a maggott infestation in a couple of his incubators. My clutch "seemed" to be uneffected by the maggots, but their color was no longer white, and some of them looked like they were starting to shrivel up... He told me he had gotten the maggots cleaned up, but I decided to bring them home anyway.

One by one, most of the eggs died... But on Dec. 22, ONE hatched! It's head was deformed, and one eye was concave, but it seemed okay other than that. He lived about a month, but had terrible difficulty catching FF's.

Eventually all but one remaining egg died and shriveled up... The one last one has remained in the incubator (alone in it's container) cuz I didn't have the heart to give up on it.

Well - the little sucker hatched TODAY! :eek: And so far, it looks pretty good!

So, this means that it incubated for 17 months!!! And there was over a 4 month gap between the two hatchings...

Is this unusual?

I have another Panther clutch (layed Oct. 1, 2009) that I have incubated from the start... and 4 of the 16 eggs hatched 2 weeks ago. Nothing else is going on with the others at this time. 12 are still "cooking." I am wondering what the biggest spread between hatchings is in a single clutch...

Any input or thoughts? :confused:

What temps were the eggs incubated at?

Ray said he'd kept them between 74-78, but I did notice that there was no air conditioning in the pet store... I asked what he did during the summer to keep them from getting too hot, and he said it never got that hot where he had them.... I found that hard to believe, but I didn't argue.

He uses the Hovabators, and I have one of those ThinkGeek, digital (mini wine warmer-fridg) incubators.

They have been at a fairly steady 76 since I brought them home.

My (2nd) clutch, that has just started hatching, has been in there for just over 7 months. So far the 4 that have hatched are highly active and eating good.

Back
Top Bottom