has anyone tried this???

sdheli420

Avid Member
has anyone tried hooking up the lighting for the chams to a sunrize\sunset optical controller???( say have it set up at a near by window so it can see dawn and dusk and activate your lights accordingly)..I just was thinking about the seasonal changes..and if the lights did mimic what was going on outside would it make a difference, and if so how much, would it be effective??

your thoughts....

not sure where u live but what would you do on a day thats rainy and overcast with thick heavy clouds? then your lights would take longer to turn on if they ever did? or it something happens to cause enough shade to fool the sensor that its still dark out even though its bright and sunny...

It's a great sounding idea! A guy I know sets his salt water tanks up this way including night cycles with the moon I thought about trying it

has anyone tried hooking up the lighting for the chams to a sunrize\sunset optical controller???( say have it set up at a near by window so it can see dawn and dusk and activate your lights accordingly)..I just was thinking about the seasonal changes..and if the lights did mimic what was going on outside would it make a difference, and if so how much, would it be effective??

your thoughts....
Great idea! I use the strip timer and twice a year I change the settings.
not sure where u live but what would you do on a day thats rainy and overcast with thick heavy clouds? then your lights would take longer to turn on if they ever did? or it something happens to cause enough shade to fool the sensor that its still dark out even though its bright and sunny...

I have one of these security lights with the dawn/dusk controller and works like a charm, even in cloudy days...

Great idea! I use the strip timer and twice a year I change the settings.

I have one of these security lights with the dawn/dusk controller and works like a charm, even in cloudy days...

I was gunna say good point, but does make sence to look into one that say is more sensitive to cloudy\rainy day situations..also, has anyone figured out how to set up a drop timer on an incubator?? (so it drops temps for a month then rises again to decrease hatch wait time???)prolly a different post but another thought..

^^What are you incubating?

ambilobe panther chams...just have been learning about temp drops and humidity changes to weight of eggs(im experienced in live birth chams but somewhat new to egg bearing breeding tecniques..i just want to up my knowledge with the help of all you experts here.. ;) )

I dont think it would be that great for some owners, here in the UK during winter we can get as little as 6 hours sunlight and I would feel a bit uncomfortable knowing my cham was only getting 6 hours UVB light.

Back
Top Bottom