Has anyone had eye problems from compact UVB bulb?

nickypav

Pancake has this recurring eye problem where it gets crusty and goopey and i have terramycin i give him a drop a day for 2 or 3 days and it goes away just like that. Im just curious if this is UVB related or he just has an eye problem. Curious on thoughts. I have the larger compact bulb and with my other chameleon hes almost 4 ive used the 5.0 compact as well and hes never had a problem at all. Just picking peoples brains see what they think

Pancake has this recurring eye problem where it gets crusty and goopey and i have terramycin i give him a drop a day for 2 or 3 days and it goes away just like that. Im just curious if this is UVB related or he just has an eye problem. Curious on thoughts. I have the larger compact bulb and with my other chameleon hes almost 4 ive used the 5.0 compact as well and hes never had a problem at all. Just picking peoples brains see what they think

You do need to figure out whether its the light OR an ongoing infection. I would:

First, check the proper dosing and treatment period for the optical terramycin. I don't think using it for only 2-3 days is enough to truly eradicate the infection and you may create a resistant bacterial strain by not using it correctly. Maybe that's why it keeps coming back...the med just knocks the infection back but doesn't really cure it. Ideally a vet should test the bacteria for sensitivity to make sure the correct antibiotic is used.

Second, test a linear UV bulb to see if that makes any difference to the eye.

Yes, I had baby quads under a 5.0 coil Reptisun that initially caused the babies to close their eyes within the first day. After I noticed and removed the light, they developed blisters over the next few days. They recovered, but I'm glad I noticed right away.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/coil-uvb-bulbs-really-bad-102254/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-baby-cham-keeps-getting-worst-128062/index2.html

Hes not closing his eyes, he has like a gunk build up. Im guessing its just an infection that i didnt treat long enough with the terramycin. the guy below encouraged me to try it longer. Im gonna try it for a week or more and hopefully thats the trick. Gonna switch the light soon as well

Chris Anderson the Author of the GLASS terrarium for chameleons has Compact bulbs on all his glass tanks and hasn't had a problem yet with the countless species and tanks he has.

I think the Compact Bulbs still suffer from stigma due to their past problems.

Back
Top Bottom