Hardcore to a new level

I'm kicking around the idea of making a 10'x20' enclosure just for raising grasshoppers. Stocked with host plants and for the most part predator free (I'm sure I might run into some type of parasitic invader (wasps / worms) with captive population). I think I could get away with year round production where I live. Just a idea for now, but I'm thinking this might be a goal, until I can find a steady supply for my big guys.

Same thing might work for Kakydids to, but more seasonally.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 232
I'm kicking around the idea of making a 10'x20' enclosure just for raising grasshoppers. Stocked with host plants and for the most part predator free (I'm sure I might run into some type of parasitic invader (wasps / worms) with captive population). I think I could get away with year round production where I live. Just a idea for now, but I'm thinking this might be a goal, until I can find a steady supply for my big guys.

Same thing might work for Kakydids to, but more seasonally.

I raise hoppers in my yard however only seasonally for about six months out of the year.

I know. I should come visit your yard. :D If I did'nt have a 40+hours a week job, I would have more time for grasshopper hunting fieldtrips.

Still my parent's yard I'm job hunting a lot right now. If it was my yard the landscaping would not be done completely the same. Once you have got a wild colony going though they are not difficult to maintain. Why did you stop captive breeding the colony I sent you?

Last edited:
Ive been looking for some to give some to you but its kind of hard to catch them when all you got on you is a plastic cup :p I just found a huge one in my pool, i guess it drowned. I have been seeing tons of black hairy caterpillars and black/yellow butterflies though

Ive been looking for some to give some to you but its kind of hard to catch them when all you got on you is a plastic cup :p I just found a huge one in my pool, i guess it drowned. I have been seeing tons of black hairy caterpillars and black/yellow butterflies though
I'll have to send a butterfly net home with your mom, next time I see her. :) Sound like Morning Cloak cats and butters

Sounds like a interesting project. Last year hoppers were everywhere here Im hopeing this year will be the same.

Back
Top Bottom