Hard bumps on female Jackson hind leg

Giantspleen

I have a female Jackson's around a year And a half old, she started forming these small bumps on one of her legs and i instantly worried it was mbd and i have supplemented her with more calcium and upped her d3 just a tad bit she showed no other signs of mbd over the past 3 to 4 months. She is eating fine and i have been doing a calcium without d3 Monday, tuesday, Thursday, Friday. 1 part calcium with d3 to 4 parts calcium without on Wednesdays. Calcium with d3 Saturday and no dusting Sundays except when i do multi vitamins once every about 21 days. Does anyone know what this could be? I will add pictures. One side will have the bumps and the other is the other side for comparison. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20190312_203317_HDR.jpg
    20190312_203317_HDR.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 20190312_203310.jpg
    20190312_203310.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 186
It looks like she is shedding, and looks healthy to me, although I'm not totally familiar with jacksons, can you fill out the help form!! Somebody with more experience will chime in

It looks like she is shedding, and looks healthy to me, although I'm not totally familiar with jacksons, can you fill out the help form!! Somebody with more experience will chime in

Yes she is shedding. I'm specifically talking about the bumps on the her hind leg in the darker picture. They are almost like round hard balls but they don't move.

It could be a cyst. Have you had him tested for any parasites?
I have not had her tested. Nothing has raised any alarms in regards to parasites so i haven't considered it. I have been reluctant to bring her in as i feel it might do more harm than good. She is a sweetheart but suuuuuuper sensitive to everything. She will stop eating if i even look at her wrong

I have not had her tested. Nothing has raised any alarms in regards to parasites so i haven't considered it. I have been reluctant to bring her in as i feel it might do more harm than good. She is a sweetheart but suuuuuuper sensitive to everything. She will stop eating if i even look at her wrong
D3 should be twice a month. Do you have a T5 or T8 uvb linear bulb? If not this is something you’ll need or else he will develop MBD “metabolic bone disease” and the bones in his arms and legs will start to bend and fold up. How is is fecal and what does it look like? Pics are helpful

D3 should be twice a month. Do you have a T5 or T8 uvb linear bulb? If not this is something you’ll need or else he will develop MBD “metabolic bone disease” and the bones in his arms and legs will start to bend and fold up. How is is fecal and what does it look like? Pics are helpful
i have a t8 linear uvb 5 (going to get a 10 next month) i upped the d3 a tad because of the mbd scare and is necessary for calcium absorption, and being a montane species wasn't sure if the 5.0 was providing enough for absorption (this is advice given per an exotic animal vet to a friend who was dealing with a cham with early signs of mbd). her poo is solid with white urates that can sometimes be off white form time to time but nothing consistent with the darker color.

Last edited:
and that is why i am kind of confused about this one because she is showing no other signs of mbd at all.

and that is why i am kind of confused about this one because she is showing no other signs of mbd at all.
I don’t think it’s mbd anyways. Also, you don’t need to upgrade your bulbs. If you have a T5 and or T8 that will be fine. I would think it is possibly some kind of parasite.

This is a recent poo from today
It looks pretty runny. It should be solid and the pee is not completely white so that may be a little bit of dehydration. Though I’ve never had a Jackson cham I do think a vet visit would be a good consideration. Better safe than sorry!

It looks pretty runny. It should be solid and the pee is not completely white so that may be a little bit of dehydration. Though I’ve never had a Jackson cham I do think a vet visit would be a good consideration. Better safe than sorry!
It has also been sitting in a little puddle of water all day i can try to get a better one in the morning. Those little brown specs come and go and was told it can be diet related especially with gut loading. I have no doubt she gets enough water as i have a mistking at 3 5 minute intervals and a longer rain around noo per 12 hour cycle. Could the Coloration be a sign of parasites? And you are right about the vet. I just feel the stress will kill her because it's an hour drive there and back And as i said she is suuuuiper sensitive to stress.

It has also been sitting in a little puddle of water all day i can try to get a better one in the morning. Those little brown specs come and go and was told it can be diet related especially with gut loading. I have no doubt she gets enough water as i have a mistking at 3 5 minute intervals and a longer rain around noo per 12 hour cycle. Could the Coloration be a sign of parasites? And you are right about the vet. I just feel the stress will kill her because it's an hour drive there and back And as i said she is suuuuiper sensitive to stress.
No they color looks fine besides the slightly yellow urate which is a sign of a little dehydration(which I said) But the other colors look fine. Try looking online for a closer vet that knows about exotic reptiles. A phone vet could be an option if stress is going to be a big factor

In the meantime, copy and paste this with your chameleons information. The more the better. Note that pics are helpful too

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

D3 is only once a month in Jacksons and other montane species if full strength.

It was suggested to supplement more for a short time to support calcium absorption by a exotic animal vet since mbd was taken into consideration. I have recently switched back to her normal regiment as mbd does not seem to be the issue.

People have to realize that not every case is the same. Chiming in with regurgitated info is not helpful in any way. Yes, the suggested supplementation of d3 is monthly. But if your cham is not metabolizing the calcium, more d3 might be the answer as it promotes calcium absorbtion. Please know by scaring people off from reacting properly to something health related in their chams is harming them. These types of responses are extremely frustrating and harmful to new chameleon owners especialy. Sorry you need the extra forum points or whatever but that was a worthless response.

Back
Top Bottom