hanging worms!!

so i found tiny tiny worms hanging off my cham and off the roof of the cage today they are so small they are almost invisible. i have no idea what these are. did they come out of my cham? or are they just in the cage? does it sound like a parasite to anybody. if so which one and what should i get to treat.

yeah. i would love to post a pic but they were sooooo small my camera would never pick them up. i even have a decent camera.. they were a milimeter long IF that and really really thin hanging from a thread so small you cant see it

? pinworms ?

Pins ar parasites that don't usually cause problems unless there is an overgrowth. They're the most common parasite (across all vertebrates!), and can be treated with fenbendazole. Take a stool sample to a vet for confirmation, but if the animal needs to be treated, it will need to be seen by the vet.

Submitted for your consideration,
Tyg

p.s. - all the above info came from vet who got the results from Mort. Mort is going in to the vet tomorrow.

I highly doubt they would be an internal parasite that you are seeing as most of those are microscopic. The bugs could be a bevy of things but what comes to mind first is perhaps you have an explosion of grain mites (http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/flour-and-grain-mites) and beyond being creepy aren't necessarily harmful to your chameleon. Do you keep your insects on any type of bedding? Maybe it's an abundance of springtails coming from your plants.

that doesn't make much sense....you claim you can see "worms" yet they're too small to take a picture of?? that's kinda backwards.

sounds like an inchworm to me.... or at least what i always called them. do they pull their buts up to their heads and then extend their front forward in locomotion?

they are worm looking things yes but very very small you can see them with the naked eye. and maybe i COULD get a picture of them if i owned a camera good enough( which i dont). i replaced all the current plants and cleaned all the vines and fake plants with hot hot soapy water. i think when a buddy of mine was looking after them when i was gone for a week he put in a few outdoor branches. then once i got them home back in my room (which i keep very warm for them during the day) the little bugs crawled out of the sticks and stuff. i havent seen much since. i just thought maybe like tapeworms in humans or animals something could have grown inside him and crawled out. the thought of which somewhat horrified me.

Try taking a picture with your good camera....sometimes cameras capture things you can't see with your eyes so they might well capture something you can see.

a pic will be the only way to get any answers without a vet but get a fecal done anyway they are cheap to do i pay $27.00 per test here in london ont best of luck hope you get this figured out sounds kinda creepy maybe eggs were layed on that stick and the warmth hatched them

Back
Top Bottom