hanging fake vines

Gwendalyn.brock

Established Member
What do you guys use to hold up vines in a screen enclosure? Suction cups won't work with the screen and I can't figure out what else to use. Would command strips or floral wire work?

Floral wire works good and also fishing line works real well and you can't really see it. I also use thumb tacks for putting up dowel rods.

Most use tacks from outside of mesh into the material.
The bendable vines are often tied together with zip ties to make a single structure

Floral wire works good and also fishing line works real well and you can't really see it. I also use thumb tacks for putting up dowel rods.
I also need more climbing things besides the vines on the walls. What else would you recommend for an enclosure besides all the vines? I also have a few small real plants but the closure seems so empty.

Most use tacks from outside of mesh into the material.
The bendable vines are often tied together with zip ties to make a single structure
Zip ties won't fit through the screen of the reptibreeze cage. Tacks would work for dowels or fake branches?

I also need more climbing things besides the vines on the walls. What else would you recommend for an enclosure besides all the vines? I also have a few small real plants but the closure seems so empty.

20151207_073049.jpg

The couple rods I have in there are secured by push pins on the outside of the cage. You can also get really small zip ties that you can just fit through the screen. I like the floral wore and fishing line the best though

View attachment 148938

The couple rods I have in there are secured by push pins on the outside of the cage. You can also get really small zip ties that you can just fit through the screen. I like the floral wore and fishing line the best though
I was thinking floral wire but the store I went to didn't have any so I'll have to check again after I get paid. I just want to put her in the bigger cage but, I need more stuff for it.

I was thinking floral wire but the store I went to didn't have any so I'll have to check again after I get paid. I just want to put her in the bigger cage but, I need more stuff for it.

I would get a couple live potted plants and then get the big thick brown vines and also the green ivy vines and just fill in all the gaps with those. Then use rods for any extra needed walkways. I can't wait to get my bigger cage. I've been stocking up on vines and ivys. I think whatever you do just make sure it's full.

I would get a couple live potted plants and then get the big thick brown vines and also the green ivy vines and just fill in all the gaps with those. Then use rods for any extra needed walkways. I can't wait to get my bigger cage. I've been stocking up on vines and ivys. I think whatever you do just make sure it's full.
I have a pothos and hibiscus but they only had small ones and a third plant I don't think i will put in there because I can't it on the safe or toxic list. I was looking for rods at the pet stores and found a few in the bird section but they were all feeder rods and I didn't like that. I have some moss covered rods coming and a few more vines but I don't think it will be enough for the habitat plus I got a branch but no way to hang it up yet. I also have a five gallon bucket for her laying bin since she's almost to that age.

I have a pothos and hibiscus but they only had small ones and a third plant I don't think i will put in there because I can't it on the safe or toxic list. I was looking for rods at the pet stores and found a few in the bird section but they were all feeder rods and I didn't like that. I have some moss covered rods coming and a few more vines but I don't think it will be enough for the habitat plus I got a branch but no way to hang it up yet. I also have a five gallon bucket for her laying bin since she's almost to that age.

Hmm. I don't have a female so I can't speak on laying bins but everything else sounds good. I wouldn't use any plants that you don't know for sure are safe but the pothos are great. I got two hanging pothos from Walmart for about $12 each and they are doing great. I only have one in the cage now and it's on the floor so I have it growing upwards. You can always upgrade to larger plants in the spring or when you have more money. I found my dowel rods at walmart in the crafts section. They had 12 packs of 12" rods and then then also had like two foot long ones of different diameters they sold individually so I bought 4 1/4" and 4 1/2". You could use more rods until you can get bigger plants. I also got my floral wire and tiny zip ties from walmart. I get most of my other stuff off of amazon and they have some pretty good deals on fake plants usually. You could also try craigslist. I frequently see people trying to get rid of reptile supplies on there. It would be kind of hit and miss but you might luck out. For me, my cage is always a work in progress. Add things as you collect them, it doesn't all have to be at once.

When I was first setting up my cage it seemed like a lot of trial and error. I couldn't get things hung the right way, or they weren't secure enough, or I would get one thing in and then I wouldnt be able to get the next thing in the way I had originally wanted. It took quite a while to get it the way I wanted so just take your time.

Hmm. I don't have a female so I can't speak on laying bins but everything else sounds good. I wouldn't use any plants that you don't know for sure are safe but the pothos are great. I got two hanging pothos from Walmart for about $12 each and they are doing great. I only have one in the cage now and it's on the floor so I have it growing upwards. You can always upgrade to larger plants in the spring or when you have more money. I found my dowel rods at walmart in the crafts section. They had 12 packs of 12" rods and then then also had like two foot long ones of different diameters they sold individually so I bought 4 1/4" and 4 1/2". You could use more rods until you can get bigger plants. I also got my floral wire and tiny zip ties from walmart. I get most of my other stuff off of amazon and they have some pretty good deals on fake plants usually. You could also try craigslist. I frequently see people trying to get rid of reptile supplies on there. It would be kind of hit and miss but you might luck out. For me, my cage is always a work in progress. Add things as you collect them, it doesn't all have to be at once.
Thank you. I will try Walmart later, because I spent so much on the cage, stand, and automatic misting system, I don't seem to have enough after paying bills to get anything else at the moment. With the third plant I think I'm gonna plant it outside because I can't figure why they gave me a third plant I didn't order. I'll probably have more luck with Walmart than the heb and what I can't find there I'll try amazon because Craigslist is stressful sometimes.

When I was first setting up my cage it seemed like a lot of trial and error. I couldn't get things hung the right way, or they weren't secure enough, or I would get one thing in and then I wouldnt be able to get the next thing in the way I had originally wanted. It took quite a while to get it the way I wanted so just take your time.
That seems to be the issues I'm having, o had a vision on my mind but can't figure out how to make it happen in real life. The only thing I'm really having issues with is deciding whether to put a plant in the laying bin or not since I'll have to dig through it once she is done.

That seems to be the issues I'm having, o had a vision on my mind but can't figure out how to make it happen in real life. The only thing I'm really having issues with is deciding whether to put a plant in the laying bin or not since I'll have to dig through it once she is done.

I completely understand your frustrations. Ive slowly been collecting things as I go just because of the cost of the mister and cages. As far as the laying bin goes, I would suggest not putting anything else in it because it might not give her enough room to dig around and the roots probably take up a lot of vital space. I think it should be just sand or whatever the medium is you use but again, I don't have a female so maybe someone else could tell you better about that. For not being able to fulfill your vision, what kind of worked for me was setting things up together outside of the cage first to see how they fit together. Hold things up together before tying them down to see if they're going to fit first. It took me the better part of a Sunday to get everything set in there the way I wanted and really there's only 4 or 5 major pieces. It's just about figuring how and where to connect vines and also connecting the vines in a way so that you can still get in to the cage to remove plants and your lay bin. The last thing you want is to get the plants and bin in and then tie up all the vines and ivy and not be able to get the stuff back out. I looped things back and forth along the sides and back giving me some open space in the front for easy access. You don't want to leave it too open though so I used the plant to fill the front and lower parts up. Now the pothos is growing up and filling everything in nicely.

I completely understand your frustrations. Ive slowly been collecting things as I go just because of the cost of the mister and cages. As far as the laying bin goes, I would suggest not putting anything else in it because it might not give her enough room to dig around and the roots probably take up a lot of vital space. I think it should be just sand or whatever the medium is you use but again, I don't have a female so maybe someone else could tell you better about that. For not being able to fulfill your vision, what kind of worked for me was setting things up together outside of the cage first to see how they fit together. Hold things up together before tying them down to see if they're going to fit first. It took me the better part of a Sunday to get everything set in there the way I wanted and really there's only 4 or 5 major pieces. It's just about figuring how and where to connect vines and also connecting the vines in a way so that you can still get in to the cage to remove plants and your lay bin. The last thing you want is to get the plants and bin in and then tie up all the vines and ivy and not be able to get the stuff back out. I looped things back and forth along the sides and back giving me some open space in the front for easy access. You don't want to leave it too open though so I used the plant to fill the front and lower parts up. Now the pothos is growing up and filling everything in nicely.
Thank you, I was think I'm gonna see if she likes the enclosure tomorrow bit put her back in her current habitat to sleep because I wanna test the sturdiness of what I already have up. Do you think I should try anything else before I completely move her in?

Back
Top Bottom