handling

jagmom98

Established Member
I got my veiled in January as a juvenile. I have handled him only to transfer him to his enclosure. Other than that, I haven't messed with him. Does it matter?

I got my veiled in January as a juvenile. I have handled him only to transfer him to his enclosure. Other than that, I haven't messed with him. Does it matter?
It’s always good to build some trust with your chameleon and be comfortable and confident when needing to handle him. This is a great blog on doing that. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
I don’t routinely handle my chameleons…well, at least not my veileds. They for the most part do have some trust that I won’t hurt or eat them but don’t like being touched. I am very comfortable and confident when I do handle them though which makes weighing time and other things so much easier for all of us.

I find that at least having the relationship to hand feed will help you work into handling. My blog that was linked will explain more. I only handle to take out to his outdoor enclosure, get a weight, or check out his body. Otherwise I let him live his best life. But when I do need to handle he will come right out to me if he sees a feeder. Sometimes even without seeing the feeder. Just depends on how moody he is that day. lol

I find that at least having the relationship to hand feed will help you work into handling. My blog that was linked will explain more. I only handle to take out to his outdoor enclosure, get a weight, or check out his body. Otherwise I let him live his best life. But when I do need to handle he will come right out to me if he sees a feeder. Sometimes even without seeing the feeder. Just depends on how moody he is that day. lol
thanks for the input guys!!

In case you want a video with some more ideas on how to build trust and get him more comfortable with being handled when needed:

I don't handle my boys very often, but I like to give them the option. I have had Chuck Norris for about a year and he is to the point that he will usually climb onto my hand if I hold it near him. It has only been like this for the last couple months though. Don't expect quick results. My guy, Bruce Lee, has been with me a couple months and is barely to the point of not hiding the moment I open his cage. I still place my hand as close to him as he will allow, and leave it there until he either limbs away, or calms down.

I have never forced either of them to come out of their enclosures and would not recommend it unless it was an emergency. To date, I have only handled Bruce Lee once, on the day I got him. Hopefully in a year he will be as comfortable with me as Chuck is. Take your time, handfeed, and don't force anything. In time you may gain enough trust to be able to handle him.

Back
Top Bottom