handling

Mushy

Hello, I am going to be moving my chameleon into a box to take him to the vet later this month and me and my cham don't have that level of trust/bond yet where i can simply touch him or he freely comes towards my hands unless i'm feeding and I was curious if there is a specific type of glove i should get or if i should try to get him onto a stick to move him or whatnot, y'know whatever i could do to put the least amount of stress on him and of course not scaring him too much, thank you-

Hello, I am going to be moving my chameleon into a box to take him to the vet later this month and me and my cham don't have that level of trust/bond yet where i can simply touch him or he freely comes towards my hands unless i'm feeding and I was curious if there is a specific type of glove i should get or if i should try to get him onto a stick to move him or whatnot, y'know whatever i could do to put the least amount of stress on him and of course not scaring him too much, thank you-
Your hand or a stick...either works. No matter how you do it, there will be some stress. Reach behind your cham with one hand while putting either your other hand or a stick in front of and slightly below them. Use your hand behind them to guide them where you want them to go. Expect some hissing, lunging and possibly even attempts to bite. Never just grab them from above...always go from underneath.

Alrighty, in the instance he does end up trying to bite me and succeeds, should I be worried about any oils on my hands or the any remaining soap or whatnot after washing my hands? I wouldn't want him to ingest something like that that'd would be harmful y'know? And just out of stupid curiosity is there any special type of hand-wash that I should look into for the sole purpose of it being safe to handle reptiles/chams after washing?
(Thanks for all the assistance by the way, this is the 2nd time you've helped me)

Alrighty, in the instance he does end up trying to bite me and succeeds, should I be worried about any oils on my hands or the any remaining soap or whatnot after washing my hands? I wouldn't want him to ingest something like that that'd would be harmful y'know? And just out of stupid curiosity is there any special type of hand-wash that I should look into for the sole purpose of it being safe to handle reptiles/chams after washing?
(Thanks for all the assistance by the way, this is the 2nd time you've helped me)
Just wash your hands like you normally do before and after handling. Avoid lotions and stuff if you like. I haven’t (yet) been bitten by my male but my ladies have gotten me a few times. It’s like a hard pinch and I find is more of a surprise than a pain...and my skin is ultra sensitive. Be confident but gentle.
You’re very welcome. ☺

Back
Top Bottom