Handling Question

stevenelvin

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Well first of all, I handle my chameleon once about every 2 days. Now I know this usually stresses chameleons out, but he actually seems to like coming out of his enclosure (when its under his own free will).

I will never force him to come out (unless he doesn't want to come out and it's for regular cleaning). I will stick my hand by where he is 'sitting', basically as an offering, and he will usually climb onto me. If he doesn't, then I just leave him alone (again, unless his cage needs cleaning).

So, my question is:

Even though he is coming out under his own will, does handling still stress him out? Or does it vary from cham to cham? Because I really don't want to shorten his life span or anything....

Thanks!

Hey dude, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions :D , but from what I have read here the little the handling the better for your cham. Now in my case, I handle them almost every day to clean their cages...

Alot of people say handling causes stress which leads to a shorter life but I am not 100% sure if any one has proof of this or this is just an assumption. My cham is the same as yours and does not mind handling whatsoever. I can literally pet him under his chin and he does not flare up at me. The way I see it is, if they come crawling to you, then why not pick them up? Mine comes to me all the time and I don't really see how that is going to shorten his life. just my opinion of course.

Hey eltortu. I've read that too. I'm just having trouble because I've read the same things as you but I have the same oppinion as carol5208. I'm just worried that I might be shortening my chams life span...

It's pretty damn cold up here. It's snowing too....
I'm already wishing it was summer, lol.

I am guessing it was meant for you cause I am in Florida and he is in Cali so I would be "out" your way and not "up" right?. Hey, as far as the handling thing you are gonna read and get conflicting advice. I say go with what you feel is right for your individual chameleon. I couldn't imagine not being able to hold mine or interact with him. Again, just my opinion!!!!

I have an Ambilobe who begs at the front of his cage to come out everyday. He rides on my shoulder for a few minutes every morning then he is content in his cage the rest of the day. When he doesn't get his few minutes of fame daily he turns dark and pouts all day. I don't feel he is stressed by handling he actually is very curious about activities going on in the house (aka he is nosey).
My Nosy Be that wants nothing to do with leaving his enclosure especially on my hand lol I feel bringing him out is stressful so I leave him alone.

Each chameleon is different and nobody knows your chameleon's personality better then you ;)

I have an Ambilobe who begs at the front of his cage to come out everyday. He rides on my shoulder for a few minutes every morning then he is content in his cage the rest of the day. When he doesn't get his few minutes of fame daily he turns dark and pouts all day. I don't feel he is stressed by handling he actually is very curious about activities going on in the house (aka he is nosey).
My Nosy Be that wants nothing to do with leaving his enclosure especially on my hand lol I feel bringing him out is stressful so I leave him alone.

Each chameleon is different and nobody knows your chameleon's personality better then you ;)

I agree Jessica! and my little shit pouts all day long if I don't get him out of the cage!!!!

It's pretty damn cold up here. It's snowing too....
I'm already wishing it was summer, lol.

Here it was raining last night for a couple of hours. It shorted my Xmas lights, had to change one of my breakers because it would not reset. Then this morning it was so foggy you could not see for more than 10 yards. But I like the cold better than the heat...I can't stand the heat of summer here, it gets to be over 90F. for all of the summer...

I am new in the chameleon world but, i would agree carol if he crawls onto your hand i think it would be okay and say go for it and enjoy him! Think as your self lucky i have a 4-6 month old veiled that is just terrified of people even walking by the cage or looking into it! If im cleaning he will go to a corner. and if i put a finger out he will most of the time open his mouth and his. Hopefully he will come around and like being out!

I am new in the chameleon world but, i would agree carol if he crawls onto your hand i think it would be okay and say go for it and enjoy him! Think as your self lucky i have a 4-6 month old veiled that is just terrified of people even walking by the cage or looking into it! If im cleaning he will go to a corner. and if i put a finger out he will most of the time open his mouth and his. Hopefully he will come around and like being out!

How old is your cham and for how long have you had him for?

Here it was raining last night for a couple of hours. It shorted my Xmas lights, had to change one of my breakers because it would not reset. Then this morning it was so foggy you could not see for more than 10 yards. But I like the cold better than the heat...I can't stand the heat of summer here, it gets to be over 90F. for all of the summer...
Wow, that sucks dude. But trust me, the cold down here is NOT fun. When winters at its worst I can barely walk down the street because of the wind blasting in my face. I mean, at least in extreme heat you can still walk around and chill. In winter you almost never see people just hang out in the cold. Well, unless there toboganing (spelling?) or something.

Had it for about a month and a half now, and i think its 4-6 months old.

Its in full force winter where i live we have around 2 ft of snow and below 0 temps every night and high of 10 to 20 during the day! Not Fun at all i miss summer already.

sounds like i need to get a panther. my veil does everything he can to get away from me. i feel bad chasing him down to clean his cage but it has to be done.

Back
Top Bottom